The Student Room Group

Warwick GEP (A101) Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cravez
Hey there! I graduated from Lancaster with a first in Biomedical science, good luck in your final year!

I was wondering if anyone knows if you get a point if you are currently doing your Masters? or do you only get the extra point once you have gained your masters degree result?

Hey, currently doing my masters. You do get a point as long as you're predicted a merit or distinction. Based on your degree classification from you undergrad, your masters tutor should have no problem predicting you at least a merit when they write your reference for medicine. Especially as they don't know you well enough yet so will rely more heavily on the references your undergrad tutors submitted when you applied for your masters.
Ah cool, not seen any fellow Lancastrians yet. Thanks! And yeah I heard it was an extra point for a Masters and I think I saw that it was 3 extra points for a PhD
Reply 62
Original post by Bugsy1994
Ah cool, not seen any fellow Lancastrians yet. Thanks! And yeah I heard it was an extra point for a Masters and I think I saw that it was 3 extra points for a PhD

Where has this points system come from? I didn't know they were using one for this year.
Original post by M150
Where has this points system come from? I didn't know they were using one for this year.

The system they're using is different from the one they used last year but basically they higher the level of your degree (bachelors, masters, PhD), the more points you get
Reply 64
Original post by santi_92
The system they're using is different from the one they used last year but basically they higher the level of your degree (bachelors, masters, PhD), the more points you get

Hmm, I have a 2.2 BSc but an MSc with merit. Will be interested to find out if they consider that equal to just a BSc or if I get the extra for the MSc too.
Original post by M150
Hmm, I have a 2.2 BSc but an MSc with merit. Will be interested to find out if they consider that equal to just a BSc or if I get the extra for the MSc too.

I've never thought about that. I'm pretty sure though that the merit at MSc will make up any difference. They wouldn't give the option of applying with a 2:2 + MSc if it wasn't going to carry enough weighting to put you on equal footing with everyone else.
Last year, warwick starting sending out decisions on the 20th November. Hopefully they do the same this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where did you find this? I can't see it anywhere on their website :frown: not that it would help me as I only have a BA(Hons.) 2.1....
Last year, warwick starting sending out decisions on the 20th November. Hopefully they do the same this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Their website says December, sadly: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/med/study/ugr/applying/

In "dates to remember" on the right.
Original post by JenniB22
Where did you find this? I can't see it anywhere on their website :frown: not that it would help me as I only have a BA(Hons.) 2.1....

Oh, I was told when I called admissions. And don't worry, with a 2:1 you're fine. If I remember correctly, you've got a pretty awesome ukcat score too. Given that the PS won't form a central part of their decision, I'll be very surprised indeed if you don't get an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Their website says December, sadly: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/med/study/ugr/applying/

In "dates to remember" on the right.

I'll be taking that with a pinch of salt. Last year we didn't hear about interviews until around mid-January. However they started sending out rejections on the 20th November last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, I was told when I called admissions. And don't worry, with a 2:1 you're fine. If I remember correctly, you've got a pretty awesome ukcat score too. Given that the PS won't form a central part of their decision, I'll be very surprised indeed if you don't get an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fingers crossed. I haven't had anything from Newcastle yet though and a lot of people with lower UKCATs than mine have been invited to interview, which is making me irrationally paranoid about some kind of UKCAT mix up!

I'll be taking that with a pinch of salt. Last year we didn't hear about interviews until around mid-January. However they started sending out rejections on the 20th November last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I see. Well I'd rather know sooner than later so fingers crossed for early invitations!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but last year they were looking at personal statements as well and this year I am presuming they are looking at UKCAT alone, so on that basis, maybe interviews will be given out earlier? I am just being hopeful though...
Original post by Awesome_Alien
Yeah but last year they were looking at personal statements as well and this year I am presuming they are looking at UKCAT alone, so on that basis, maybe interviews will be given out earlier? I am just being hopeful though...

Yeah that's a good point actually- surely they will be able to sort out interview shortlists with a click of a button since it's only based on UKCAT? I remember when I was emailing them about my work experience they suggested that the shortlist would be done in mid-November and they would be contacting people to confirm their work experience hours, so hopefully we will start to hear soon. Or at least we'll start hearing about rejections and hence get an idea of the UKCAT cut-off?
Yeah that's a good point actually- surely they will be able to sort out interview shortlists with a click of a button since it's only based on UKCAT? I remember when I was emailing them about my work experience they suggested that the shortlist would be done in mid-November and they would be contacting people to confirm their work experience hours, so hopefully we will start to hear soon. Or at least we'll start hearing about rejections and hence get an idea of the UKCAT cut-off?

Would they make rejections before giving out interviews? I just want to know if I have an interview or not. I just have no patience clearly :frown:
They told me on the phone it would be early December. I asked because I said I wouldn't be back 'til then, and was worried they'd send out work experience forms whilst out of the UK. Alas not :smile: So expect early December.
Original post by MJK91
They told me on the phone it would be early December. I asked because I said I wouldn't be back 'til then, and was worried they'd send out work experience forms whilst out of the UK. Alas not :smile: So expect early December.

Good to know, saves me from refreshing like a completely crazy person :P

Thanks MJK!
Fingers crossed. I haven't had anything from Newcastle yet though and a lot of people with lower UKCATs than mine have been invited to interview, which is making me irrationally paranoid about some kind of UKCAT mix up!

Ah I see. Well I'd rather know sooner than later so fingers crossed for early invitations!

I wouldn't sweat it. The interview invites come in waves. They're still to send out the majority of invites.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
This appeared on the Warwick website today:

[h="2"]Applications for 2015 entry[/h]

These are currently under consideration and it is hoped that invites to our Selection Centre in March will be sent out via email in December.

Reply 79
It's nearly December guys!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending