Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Eat healthily and small portions but do not do one if these crazy diets because they're not healthy and you'll probably just put on most of the weight you lose when you stop dieting, anyway. Find healthy foods you like, with lots of fruit and veg, and don't eat huge amounts of them. Also, exercise is key to losing weight. Go jogging of you want but I personally hate it and I've just recently taken up Zumba which I love and keeps me fit. Make sure to find a form of exercise you enjoy and do it at least a couple of times a week. I'd personally suggest swimming or dancing as these are my favourite types of exercise. Don't attempt to lose weight really quickly because if you want to actually lose weight and keep it off, and also improve your health, you'll need to make a real change to your diet and exercise more, and don't just give up once you've lost the weight you want to lose. Crazy diets don't generally keep you thin and, more importantly, they're not good for your health, and being health is far more important than being thin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mobinalimbu)
    Thank you and yah i do drink alot of water and i do run on treadmill every day after dinner but not for long
    You need to run at least half an hour to see any noticeable changes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Tbh, this is the first thing I do when I come across something I haven't heard of before...

The issue with decreasing your food intake is that it lowers your metabolism. If you - hypothetically - could only either diet or exercise, exercise would be the more effective way of losing weight in the long term. If you're trying to lose weight, paying attention to what you're eating is certainly sensible but please, please consider going for a run 2-3 times a week or walking for an hour or more a day. It will pay dividends.
    I know everyone would but you would only search it after you hear it not when you havent heard of it and in my case i had never heard of that word before Thank you though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Star-girl)
    Please don't go on that diet to lose weight. It is dangerous for your body because you are starving it of the nutrients it needs to live. A few years ago I thought that the way to lose weight was to eat very little, much like that diet. Yes I lost a lot of weight but I didn't look or feel good at all. I ended up really skinny (got to UK size 4/6) but shapeless not toned, miserable, couldn't concentrate, was always tired, always grumpy, developed dark circles, had trouble sleeping because I was so hungry and became obsessed with food. As soon as I stopped and started eating normally again, I gained all the weight back and extra and was even worse off than before. :sigh: It really wasn't worth it.

If you want to lose weight and keep it off, then you need to change your lifestyle. Eat less if you eat too much, if not then eat more fruits/vegetables, lean protein and wholemeal carbs. Drink plenty of water. Don't cut out any particular food group, just make sure you eat unhealthy things like cake only once in a while. Exercise! Do both cardio and resistance (weight training). No, it will not make you bulky (it's very hard to become bulky). Also, don't just use your weight as a way to measure progress. Take measurements with a tape measure too and observe how your clothes fit/how your body looks. I remember getting very upset when I did all this an then gained weight. Turns out I had actually lost fat and gained muscle mass (which weighs more than fat) but I was slimmer and more toned.

I don't recommend explicitly counting calories as I think it makes you focus on the wrong thing. Losing weight doesn't have to be a miserable experience. If you really need to lose weight, then think of it more as becoming a fitter and healthier person.
    Thank you Most of my friends are like size 6 and I would love to become a size 6 but i do get what the problems are though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ailsajane)
    Eat healthily and small portions but do not do one if these crazy diets because they're not healthy and you'll probably just put on most of the weight you lose when you stop dieting, anyway. Find healthy foods you like, with lots of fruit and veg, and don't eat huge amounts of them. Also, exercise is key to losing weight. Go jogging of you want but I personally hate it and I've just recently taken up Zumba which I love and keeps me fit. Make sure to find a form of exercise you enjoy and do it at least a couple of times a week. I'd personally suggest swimming or dancing as these are my favourite types of exercise. Don't attempt to lose weight really quickly because if you want to actually lose weight and keep it off, and also improve your health, you'll need to make a real change to your diet and exercise more, and don't just give up once you've lost the weight you want to lose. Crazy diets don't generally keep you thin and, more importantly, they're not good for your health, and being health is far more important than being thin.
    Thank you Dancing is the key

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zepp)
    You need to run at least half an hour to see any noticeable changes
    Phahahha i run for like 15mins but from today i will run for like over 30mins. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Most of my friends are like size 6 and I would love to become a size 6 but i do get what the problems are though
    No problem. It really depends on your body type/height/etc.. Some people can be a size 6 and look great, and some would not look good that small. Just don't try to force your body into something it's not comfortable with. If you are toned and healthy, you can look fantastic being a size 8, 10, 12,...

It's not necessarily being a size 6 that's the problem, it's how you get there.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with dancing and swimming being really effective methods of exercise - you get worked all over. Dancing is especially fun and swimming is low impact. Running is good too but maybe not too often since it's a bit hard on the knees.

ReputationRep:
    No problem. It really depends on your body type/height/etc.. Some people can be a size 6 and look great, and some would not look good that small. Just don't try to force your body into something it's not comfortable with. If you are toned and healthy, you can look fantastic being a size 8, 10, 12,...

It's not necessarily being a size 6 that's the problem, it's how you get there.
    Atm i am a size 10/12 but i would love to be a size 6/8... I am 5ft 4inch so i don't know

ReputationRep:
    Atm i am a size 10/12 but i would love to be a size 6/8... I am 5ft 4inch so i don't know
    I am also 5ft 4inches and a size 10/12. I need to lose weight at the moment as I have too much body fat. I don't think a size 6/8 would be impossible for us (just don't starve to get there). However I think my hips are too big and there's no way I would ever be a size 6 on the bottom again. :lol: It doesn't bother me too much though.

ReputationRep:
    I am also 5ft 4inches and a size 10/12. I need to lose weight at the moment as I have too much body fat. I don't think a size 6/8 would be impossible for us (just don't starve to get there). However I think my hips are too big and there's no way I would ever be a size 6 on the bottom again. :lol: It doesn't bother me too much though.
    ahaha yah i agree with you I just want to get down to size 8/10. I have like big arms and thighs so i need to work more on them
    :dumbells:

ReputationRep:
    Phahahha i run for like 15mins but from today i will run for like over 30mins. Thank you
    You're welcome

ReputationRep:
    ahaha yah i agree with you I just want to get down to size 8/10. I have like big arms and thighs so i need to work more on them
    :dumbells:
    I do too. We can do it! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Keys to losing weight in a sustained way:

1. Stop eating and drinking junk like sweets, biscuits, crisps and sugary drinks.
    2. Cook your own, fresh meals with plenty of vegetables every day.
    3. Do some sort of exercise that you feel comfortable with. Just go on long walks if you dont want to do anything serious.

Size 10/12 is perfectly normal... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahpadt)
    Size 10/12 is perfectly normal... :confused:
    It is but it doesn't look the same on everyone. I am a size 10/12 but I definitely have excess body fat and would look better a bit smaller.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barbara95)
    I intend on starting this diet by a KPOP group called the Secret diet a friend of mine is on it and she's lost quite a lot like 7kg a month.
    Monday
    Morning: 1 slice of toast, 1 apple, 1 sweet potato
    Lunch: chicken breast salad
    Dinner: 8 cherry tomatoes, 1 cucumber

Tuesday
    Morning: 1 slice of toast, low-fat milk
    Lunch: 1 sweet potato
    Dinner: 8 strawberries, 5 cherry tomatoes

Wednesday
    Lunch: 1 sweet potato, 5 cherry tomatoes
    Dinner: 5 strawberries, 1 cucumber

Thursday
    Lunch: chicken breast, 8 strawberries
    Dinner: 5 cherry tomatoes, 1 cucumber

Friday
    Morning: 1 slice of toast, 1 apple
    Lunch: 3 eggs, 1 cucumber, 5 cherry tomatoes
    Dinner: 10 strawberries, 1 cucumber

Saturday
    Dinner: 1 tofu, 3 cherry tomatoes

Sunday
    Morning: 1 slice of toast, 1 apple, low-fat milk
    Dinner: 1 cucumber

I intend on starting this when I go to uni as my mum will not allow me to diet. Good Luck
    What the....

That's not a diet that's a starvation regime. Hardly sustainable or healthy.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    That diet plan actually sounds fair and i might give it a go starting the week after !! Thank you and good luck to you too !! Your mum doesn't let you diet ? My mum is forcing me to go to diet when i am not even that fat !! urgh
    Thats crazeee of your mum , don't diet - if you are not massive just do a bit more exercise to keep healthy.

Don't mess your metabolism up with that diet either - not enough food and there is no dinner????

I would say eat three meals with two small snacks like 2 pieces of fruit, 12 nuts or a small smoothie or juiced veg drink.

For your meals eat eggs, chicken and fish with lots of salad and veg.

Drink lots of water and try to work out 3 times a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    Thats crazeee of your mum , don't diet - if you are not massive just do a bit more exercise to keep healthy.

Don't mess your metabolism up with that diet either - not enough food and there is no dinner????

I would say eat three meals with two small snacks like 2 pieces of fruit, 12 nuts or a small smoothie or juiced veg drink.

For your meals eat eggs, chicken and fish with lots of salad and veg.

Drink lots of water and try to work out 3 times a week.
    I know right my mum is crazy but anyways thank you and i will try it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I do too. We can do it! :woo:
    Aha we sure can and we will. We sure will fight to get what we truly deserve
    :kungfu:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.