Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are Medicine, Dentistry and Vet Med the only courses that matter? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BestProfileName)
    Is there a particular reason why you so obscenely miss someone's point? Someone made the point that it would be easy to teach yourself a bunch of subjects. I said that you can teach yourself anything, really, but it would be sub-optimal in certain disciplines, such as Chemistry or Medicine.

And whilst we're at it, you could use friends of family too. "But confidentiality" - I am sure you could, assuming you were sufficiently enterprising and had enough time, get well over 2000 conditions worth of patients - might even take you ten years.

But at the end of the day, it would be more efficient to simply pursue a medical degree...
    Try teaching yourself how to do a root canal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marky Mark)
    HELP.

Simple answer no. It's saturated as hell.

Also what happened to you; I've always thought you wouldn't be one to ask such a weak question man?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mansun)
    They certainly are amongst the most sought after and most prestigious. They offer rich employment prospects in their fields. No Doctor, Dentist or Vet has ever become Prime Minister or CEO of a top Investment Bank when last I looked?
    You can find medicine/dentistry graduates working in IB firms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilosophicalHat)
    Simple answer no. It's saturated as hell.

Also what happened to you; I've always thought you wouldn't be one to ask such a weak question man?
    Wut? They're probably the only professions that haven't come across saturation yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marky Mark)
    Who wants to be anything else?
    everyone else lol

ReputationRep:
    Yesssssss OP, you are a hundered per cent right, the only degrees that matter are those that guarantee a job with lots and lots and lots of money. The reason for this? The only thing that matters in life is lots and lots and lots of money. Obviouslyyyyyy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelzzz)
    Wut? They're probably the only professions that haven't come across saturation yet.
    well dentistry isn't saturated. medicine is though. idk about vet med.

ReputationRep:
    You can find medicine/dentistry graduates working in IB firms.
    I heard several years back medical graduates were being headhunted by City firms. But have they ever become a CEO at a top firm? There are definitely too many medical graduates these days, and not enough jobs to go straight into. 66% of new medical graduates don't get a job for a good while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    well dentistry isn't saturated. medicine is though. idk about vet med.
    Evidence pls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mansun)
    I heard several years back medical graduates were being headhunted by City firms. But have they ever become a CEO at a top firm? There are definitely too many medical graduates these days, and not enough jobs to go straight into. 66% of new graduates don't get a job for a good while.
    Lol?

ReputationRep:
    Evidence pls?
    lel cba.

(Original post by Temporality)
    Yesssssss OP, you are a hundered per cent right, the only degrees that matter are those that guarantee a job with lots and lots and lots of money. The reason for this? The only thing that matters in life is lots and lots and lots of money. Obviouslyyyyyy.
    tbh dentistry is the only one that garantees lots of money though out of the 3 . Other careers are better for money.

Should only be doing medicine if you want to save lives

ReputationRep:
    lel cba.
    Im relatively sure all medical graduates get a job...
    Student numbers are controlled for medicine/dentistry/vetmed.

ReputationRep:

I suppose you could say it's equivocal. But the fact that he's askin' such a question clearly indicates he's cognizant that everyone is hyping those fields.

Also, if you look at the stats for which was the most chosen course for last year it's bound to be Law, Medicine, Physics/ Mathematics as standard. Personally I think if you went down the route of private dentistry then you're fine.

ReputationRep:
    Im relatively sure all medical graduates get a job...
    Student numbers are controlled for medicine/dentistry/vetmed.
    Well i meant in terms of becoming a doctor tbh. Getting difficult in the UK atm with all the NHS cuts.

It's a lot easier for dentists because most are private.

ReputationRep:
    Lol?
    Have a look on the internet. Only 1 in 3 new medical graduates get a job straight away. There is a big surplus of medical graduates thanks to about 10 new medical schools opening over the last 10-15 years. Crazy idea.

ReputationRep:
    NO NO NO

Don't let other hoodwink you also..

You missed out Law, Economics and Business..

ReputationRep:
    lel cba.

tbh dentistry is the only one that garantees lots of money though out of the 3 . Other careers are better for money.

Should only be doing medicine if you want to save lives
    I was kind of being sarcastic . And yeah I think only a very specific kind of person should go into medicine, but conversely somehow everybody seems to go in for it, and people who aren't that very specific kind of person somehow convince medical schools to let them in... which in turn leads to people being very poor doctors.

ReputationRep:
    I was kind of being sarcastic . And yeah I think only a very specific kind of person should go into medicine, but conversely somehow everybody seems to go in for it, and people who aren't that very specific kind of person somehow convince medical schools to let them in... which in turn leads to people being very poor doctors.
    Not all medical graduates will become doctors. Some will go into medical research, where prospects are very good as many older professors are retiring, and not that many taking up research.

ReputationRep:
    ye lol most people go into it thinking it's high paying and thats the only reason.

ReputationRep:
    Try teaching yourself how to do a root canal.
    Wow you're dumb. That was not even my point. Oo

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.