Should I be bothered that my friend is homophobic? Watch

Lulu24
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by eggfriedrice)
Just... stop, please.

Also maybe you haven't realised that I AM the OP. If you re-read my first post, you will realise what is bothering me; " I just think about the comments she made..., and it frankly still pisses me off." I don't like the fact that she is homophobic, but what really gets me is that she thinks it was ok for her to mock someone for their sexuality, get it now?
You're really not adding anything to the thread since I've already stated earlier that I am not going to stop being friends with her, but thanks for your input.
I have not said myself that i think it is a sin, Ive simply said that guy who posted quoting bible as if the bible is accepting of homosexuality is being very selective and not taking the bible holistically at all. and Oh lol, i didnt realise you were the OP at all. And yes, mocking people is malicious, that's why i said, it's your choice if you can't handle that then dont be friends with her or tell her it's not good to that in general. If she is a christian, she should really know that >.> but i guess we're not all perfect
bittr n swt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A lot of my friends are homophobic and I don't care. People won't have the same views as you. Get over it
LutherVan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh wow ok, so you took my comment literally. How about this then, love is one of the main aspects of Christianity. If you disagree with that, please give me a good reason.
I agree with that.

But that tells you that love is not everything, hence invalidates your main argument that they are "hypocrites" as it is simply a strawman.

They don't have to love everyone and everything. They need to follow what their religion says.

This weak and lying argument that "Christianity is all about Love" has been overused to strawman and calumniate Christians by the Western press and then shape the impression of highly impressionable youths like you who quickly turnaround to ignorantly say they are not following their religion and negatively label them "hypocrites".

That is fascism at work. There are millions more young people that have fallen for such misleading arguments and assume having such arguments makes your argument strong.
eggfriedrice
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by LutherVan)
I agree with that.

But that tells you that love is not everything, hence invalidates your main argument that they are "hypocrites" as it is simply a strawman.

They don't have to love everyone and everything. They need to follow what their religion says.

This weak and lying argument that "Christianity is all about Love" has been overused to strawman and calumniate Christians by the Western press and then shape the impression of highly impressionable youths like you who quickly turnaround to ignorantly say they are not following their religion and negatively label them "hypocrites".

That is fascism at work. There are millions more young people that have fallen for such misleading arguments and assume having such arguments makes your argument strong.
So desperate to be proven right through a logical argument that you fail to see the bigger picture.

There is no right or wrong way to follow a single religion, each Christian believing in the same one God will not have the exact same views and beliefs as one another.
Am I not correct in saying that Christians believe they are sinners because they have done things which may have gone against God's word, however through God, they find forgiveness. Now, these sins which they condone other people for doing, they in fact have done so themselves, hence making them hypocrites. For example, they have sex before marriage, yet shame homosexuality. They shame divorces, yet have had affairs.
"They need to follow what their religion says", however that is impossible, because no one is perfect (ignoring the fact that there is no clear set of rules of Christianity since the bible can be interpreted in so many ways). So when a christian condones someone else due to a belief of their religion (for example saying homosexuality is wrong), yet themselves can't follow their own religion perfectly, does that not make them a hypocrite?

To be honest, I don't want to make this a massive debate about religion, because that is not the point of the thread. Nor do I want to waste my time making sound arguments, where there are no " strawmans", or "circular reasoning", or " slippery slopes" or other terms which will never be used in most people's everyday lives unless you were studying philosophy or law, or a similar subject.
Mercedes7
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If she wants to be a homophobic that's her choice as long as she doest go round expressing it. Personally I don't agree with this gay lesbian stuff but I keep it to myself, cos it's my opinion it's not a fact. So if she feels like that just let her know to keep it To herself before she really offends someone
LutherVan
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So desperate to be proven right through a logical argument that you fail to see the bigger picture.

There is no right or wrong way to follow a single religion, each Christian believing in the same one God will not have the exact same views and beliefs as one another.
Am I not correct in saying that Christians believe they are sinners because they have done things which may have gone against God's word, however through God, they find forgiveness. Now, these sins which they condone other people for doing, they in fact have done so themselves, hence making them hypocrites. For example, they have sex before marriage, yet shame homosexuality. They shame divorces, yet have had affairs.
"They need to follow what their religion says", however that is impossible, because no one is perfect (ignoring the fact that there is no clear set of rules of Christianity since the bible can be interpreted in so many ways). So when a christian condones someone else due to a belief of their religion (for example saying homosexuality is wrong), yet themselves can't follow their own religion perfectly, does that not make them a hypocrite?

To be honest, I don't want to make this a massive debate about religion, because that is not the point of the thread. Nor do I want to waste my time making sound arguments, where there are no " strawmans", or "circular reasoning", or " slippery slopes" or other terms which will never be used in most people's everyday lives unless you were studying philosophy or law, or a similar subject.
Nothing you said here relates to your previous argument that Christianity is about love.

It just points out further that Christianity is about following a scripture of dos and don'ts, and you are trying to apply generic strawmans as evidence of "individual hypocrisy".

Christians need to follow whatever their holy book tells them and definitely it does not tell them to always love. It praises some things and condemns others as sin.

Please next time, don't spew misleading platitudes you have been fed.
eggfriedrice
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by LutherVan)
Nothing you said here relates to your previous argument that Christianity is about love.

It just points out further that Christianity is about following a scripture of dos and don'ts, and you are trying to apply generic strawmans as evidence of "individual hypocrisy".

Christians need to follow whatever their holy book tells them and definitely it does not tell them to always love. It praises some things and condemns others as sin.

Please next time, don't spew misleading platitudes you have been fed.
This post is so stupid, I don't even know where to start. There's no point even trying to reason with someone who is so stuck up on their own opinions.
LutherVan
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This post is so stupid, I don't even know where to start. There's no point even trying to reason with someone who is so stuck up on their own opinions.
I am not the one with the opinion that 'Christianity is about love' because I have heard many idiots say so on TV and I did not bother to reason that the assertion was rubbish.

Reasoning is very important when processing information given.
TheTechN1304
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Tell her you feel uneasy with her being the way she is. If she refuses to change, slowly phase her out of your life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (362)
37.47%
No - but I will (74)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (67)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (463)
47.93%

Watched Threads