Why is marijuana illegal? Watch

Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because it's a poison that continues to kill hundreds if not thousands of young people worldwide and has been directly responsible for the premature deaths of many talented people. Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, Amy Winehouse, John Bonham, Bob Dylan, Ginger Baker and Frank Zappa were all killed by cannabis intoxication, and that's just off the top of my head. Such a waste. I support harsh sentences for anyone found to be in the possession of it.
n00
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Captain Haddock)
Because it's a poison that continues to kill hundreds if not thousands of young people worldwide and has been directly responsible for the premature deaths of many talented people. Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, Amy Winehouse, John Bonham, Bob Dylan, Ginger Baker and Frank Zappa were all killed by cannabis intoxication, and that's just off the top of my head. Such a waste. I support harsh sentences for anyone found to be in the possession of it.
May Bob Ross bless them all.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by watchmen98)
Dude, how did cannabis get into this equation.
Cannabis is certainly a very harmful product. And my argument is not that because of X is less harmful than Y, X should be legalised. My argument is that the governments point of view and reasoning is irrelevant. Their reasoning of banning marijuana is due to the nature of marijuana being dangerous compared to smoking and drinking. Which is not true. Therefore their argument and reasoning is irrelevant.
Ummm? Can you post a citation for this, because I feel it's far more likely it's banned because there is evidence to suggest that it is dangerous, whether it's more or less dangerous than something that is legal is irrelevant.
And your OP very much gave the impression that your argument is "I believe cannabis to be less dangerous that tobacco and alcohol; tobacco and alcohol are both legal, therefore cannabis should be".
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by pjm600)
Err, yes. A casual link is where variables X and Y are correlated, but no causal link has been established.

Yes the links are casual...not causal, and as such statements such as "cannabis causes psychosis" cannot be made. Correlation does not equal causation, correlations can give us ideas as to where to look and what to study and investigate next to give us a bigger picture but non causal correlation in itself is not good evidence to be against the taking of cannabis.
WeedCanKill
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Uavinagiggle)
Oh Please!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Are you even hearing yourself?
It can though, think about it.

Unless you're a pseudo-intellectual then you will never understand.
TheTrueLondoner
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's not legal beacause the government can't put a tax on it and therefore can't make the maximum amount of money from it directly. Illegal drugs bring billions of £ a year into the British economy but only through people spending the drug money.

Also people can grow it them selfs so it would be impossible to make money from
TheTrueLondoner
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Captain Haddock)
DID YOU SAY BOB MARLEY!!! Mate, Bob Marely had cancer....wtf get your facts right. He died of CANCER
Also who say Amy Winehouse died that way? What evidence are there of that? None
Jimi Hendrick also didn't dies from "cannabis intoxication" dude serious
I don't know about the others

Also there's no evidence to even suggest that cannibis by itself has been the cause of ANYONE's death let a lone thousands. But if it has that not even comparable to the millions upon millions of people that dies due directly to smoking and drinking related diseases and alcohol overdoes

Note: I don't and never will smoke cannabis just cos any type of smoke isn't great for your lungs BUT I do think that people need to use actually evidence for being for or against something.
n00
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Ummm? Can you post a citation for this, because I feel it's far more likely it's banned because there is evidence to suggest that it is dangerous, whether it's more or less dangerous than something that is legal is irrelevant.
The Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs makes recommendations to government on the control of dangerous or otherwise harmful drugs, including classification and scheduling under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 and its regulations.

We are an independent expert body that advises government on drug-related issues in the UK. The ACMD was established under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971.

We consider any substance which is being or appears to be misused and which is having or appears to be capable of having harmful effects sufficient to cause a social problem.
https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...of-drugs/about

If cannabis is causing harmful effects sufficient to cause a social problem then alcohol and tobacco certainly are and should be classified under the misuse of drugs act, if the misuse of drugs act is inappropriate or ineffective in controling the use of alcohol and tobacco then why use it for cannabis?
hellodave5
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DorianGrayism)
Because the Government are generally made of people that have been indoctrinated by years of anti weed propaganda.

They believe all the scare stories about how if they legalise weed then every teenager will become a pot head and eventually a crack smoker.

That is really coming to an end now. In the next few years weed will be legalised.
I got confused with the 2 comments there! lol

Ah, interesting stats! Will have to look when I have the time.

Yeah. Though there is the 'gateway theory' of drug addiction - the incidence of addiction is far far far more complex than that theory alone, so many factors.
Also Nicotine is 10x the gateway drug marijuana could ever be; being the most addictive drug ever!

Hopefully be legalized. Would go far in preventing a fair bit of crime in the UK, I assume.
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There is very little reason for the majority of drugs to be illegal.
User1014865
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Weed smoking, socially deprived, poppy bashing academic elites. What an odd pool of people.
Ggmu!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nope, still not one reason to not legalise the good herb.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hard to tax something which anyone can grow in their living room.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Balloon Baboon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by pjm600)
Saying that because it's not as bad as cigarettes it should be legalized is a ridiculous argument. We probably wouldn't legalize cigarettes if they were brought out today, there's no reason to use them as a benchmark.
This.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (552)
37.81%
No - but I will (115)
7.88%
No - I don't want to (102)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.33%

Watched Threads