Opinions on southampton solent university - help!!! Watch

Samdynamou
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Miarae97)
Yeah after the interview you get the chance to Be taken round the building see the facilities and they explain the course content etc if you want to, if you didn't get to see it on any open days like me
Phew, I missed the open day too so really wanna see it

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1638485
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Miarae97)
I had my interview for art today and got my offer there and then! I am so happy and excited!!!
Congrats! How long did you wait for your interview, from the time you were given an offer? Just curious as I'm still waiting to hear from them and I'd like to be prepared, haha!
username1638485
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SinicalDev)
I'm a first year Solent student. Please take the league tables as pinch of salt. They don't mean s**t. For instance, I'm on Software Engineering, solent is like 109 overall rated, but for my course it's around 60ish. The other uni's I applied for were higher over all but actually lower for the course I'm doing.

P.S Lucia Foster Welch shows as far away from the uni, but actually its like a 10 minute walk as there's a bridge you can cut across. Also don't go into Deanery, that's where all the football studies and hair and makeup kids are
This made me laugh! I was really looking at going to Deanery so thanks for letting us know - I'll definitely be avoiding that as an option. Is LFW en-suite? The thought of sharing a bathroom with a bunch of people I don't know is a definite no.

Also, if you know any good pubs, let me know!
Miarae97
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tiff182)
Congrats! How long did you wait for your interview, from the time you were given an offer? Just curious as I'm still waiting to hear from them and I'd like to be prepared, haha!
The director offered me a place after the interview, it hasn't come up on my ucas yet though. I was emailed an invitation to an interview like a month or so before the interview date... You had to follow a link and book the time you wanted. There was only one date in December that showed (the one I went to yesterday). They will probably have more in January or something. If you've already got an offer then I don't think you need to attend an interview?! xx
Samdynamou
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mines in January and I would call them if it's not changed by the end of the week if it's your firm choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Emiliee08
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm strating fitness management and personal training in September 🙈🙈
Liam85
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So this is a year on now, evidently. Can you guys tell me what it's like? i'm literally going insane, I thought this was my first choice but people slate it, so bad! I'm intending to study a sports journalism degree and i'll be 21 by next September, so i'll be a mature student. I want to go into halls too. If anyone could just tell me what it's like, and the rivalry between the two universities is quite bad. I'm from Bristol, and UWE/UoB have no rivalry whatsoever on nights out! I have acknowledged that Solent is far down the table, but they do specialize in broadcast sports journalism, an industry I would love to work in! Anyway, cheers in advance for the responses.
username1638485
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Liam!

Firstly, the Solent and Uni of rivalry is real, very real. Unfortunately. However, it's never really an issue while you're out. Be nice and you'll be fine!

Secondly, I'd definitely recommend Solent for what you're interested in. I'm studying multimedia journalism (which includes broadcast) and the facilities here are great. One of my flatmates is studying sports journalism and he absolutely loves his course.

I've had a few lectures with the sports journo lecturer (mm/sports/journo often have lectures together as we all need require basics for journalism) and you can see how passionate they are about the subject. If you're passionate about a subject, you can literally go anywhere. As long as you get work experience, you're good.

And for halls, if you're looking for the whole 'party' scene of uni, I'd recommend Deanery/Lucia Foster Welch/Hamwic. If you want quieter go for Emily Davis/Chantry/Kimber.

Hope this helps!
Liam85
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You've put my mind at ease, definitely. thanks for the taking the time out to reply, i'm going to an open day there this Saturday funnily enough. It's definitely my first choice, and the facilities look incredible! Glad to know he's enjoying it, I've wanted to do this for some time now and am looking forward to starting. Currently doing an access course and it's absolutely hectic! Once again thanks, appreciate this hugely. What's the city like? I'm from Bristol and the music scene is energetic and incredible. Was hoping to go to some raves down Southampton if they have any places like that?
username1638485
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Open days are always worth going to - its definitrly what made me want to come here. Your course will give you SO many opportunities. I've only been here for 2 months now and although it's stressful at times, it has given me a platform to gain experience from (whether it be formal interviews or doing voxpops, etc).

The city is brilliant. Everything is in walking distance (pretty useful after a night out) so that's not an issue. There are a LOT of parks here so at first, it's a lot to take in but after a few weeks it's not so much a problem. I'm not sure about raves (not really my scene) but Guildhall usually have some decent gigs and there are other smaller venues. Other than that, there's Soundclash festival (just after Freshers week, I believe, so that might be your kinda thing)... other than that, Oceana might be your best club. Sorry I can't be much help in that area haha!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 29 Apr '19
  • Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 20 May '19
  • Solent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 8 Jun '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.76%
No - but I will (104)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (647)
47.71%

Watched Threads