The Student Room Group

Goals for 2015?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Illidan_Stormrage
Don't really consider myself to be a powerlifter tbh. I squat beltless and deeper than what's necessary. I also like to weigh myself right after the lift is done. Strongman looks like a lot of fun.

Finding a novice comp is easy. :wink:
Original post by Tom_Ford
So I like doing some incline db bench and adding a few flies in (i like training chest). Sometimes... I even like to use a hammer strength chest machine! :eek: Big deal. My recovery is not an issue.

Oh rly

That would be why you have several threads like this

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2856095
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2815565
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2918957

Apply water to burn

A couple of sets is fine, adding that amount of volume is daft and achieves..... nothing
Original post by Illidan_Stormrage
Once you get used to wearing a belt you can can lose 10-20kg on your squat once you take it off. I don't want to owe 10-20kg of my squat to a belt tbh. I find it strange how people rant about squat suits adding huge amounts of weight to someone's squat but nobody says a word about the difference knee wraps and a belt make. Raw implies that there is very little or no aid from equipment but from what I can see knee wraps and a belt can make a pretty substantial difference once you get used to using them.

I've always thought along these lines- is it you able to lift the weights? Or you when wearing equipment/clothing that allows perfect bracing, stabilization, stretch reflection utilization etc?...

Whilst people wearing a belt doesn't bother me (although I doubt I'd ever make a habit of wearing one), I've never seen the point of geared lifting- suits that generate large amounts of elastic tension to allow you to lift more weight? Whats the point? Its not you lifting the weight in its entirely anymore, why not just go the whole distance and get a machine to lift the weight? I just cannot understand the point of geared lifting besides as a stupid ego boosting exercise...surely the point is your biological body against the weight, not your body+as much mechanical assistance as you can reasonably cram into clothing??

Sorry a bit of a rant there! :tongue:
Reply 63
Original post by Angry cucumber
Oh rly

That would be why you have several threads like this

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2856095
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2815565
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2918957

Apply water to burn

A couple of sets is fine, adding that amount of volume is daft and achieves..... nothing

Uhm that was a diet issue and not a routine issue. Water duly applied.
Well done for using data from months ago. I train 6 days a week these days with plenty of calories and gains have been quicker and more consistent. Affectionately known as a "split". How's your burn doing?

P.s. your own lifts are hardly big enough to warrant you being able to lecture others on what to do yourself. I don't like your tone, never have.
(edited 9 years ago)
Geared lifting takes actual skill, using a belt just adds weight automatically.
Uhm that was a diet issue and not a routine issue. Water duly applied.
Well done for using data from months ago. I train 6 days a week these days with plenty of calories and gains have been quicker and more consistent. Affectionately known as a "split". How's your burn doing?

Diet and recovery are linked

I train 2-3 times a week :smile:

I'm not burning...

P.s. your own lifts are hardly big enough to warrant you being able to lecture others on what to do yourself. I don't like your tone, never have.

Nice ad hom

I've never lifted consecutively for more than 3 months without an old injury causing me to stop or change drastically what I've done in the gym. That, coupled with a meniscal tear, which I had surgery on a fortnight ago.

Having said this I've still hit bigger numbers; on at least 2 of the main 4 lifts; than yourself in a fraction of the time period you've been lifting :smile:

In addition, just because my numbers aren't massive, doesn't mean that I can't advise. If you want top quality aesthetics for advice, Jeff Seid can carb load you on some eggs :smile:
Reply 66

I'm not burning...

Nice ad hom

I've never lifted consecutively for more than 3 months without an old injury causing me to stop or change drastically what I've done in the gym. That, coupled with a meniscal tear, which I had surgery on a fortnight ago.

Having said this I've still hit bigger numbers; on at least 2 of the main 4 lifts; than yourself in a fraction of the time period you've been lifting :smile:

In addition, just because my numbers aren't massive, doesn't mean that I can't advise. If you want top quality aesthetics for advice, Jeff Seid can carb load you on some eggs :smile:

Age/stats/experience/weight? And big wow, you can lift a lot of weight. You're probably ugly and unaesthetic though :lol: .

Train 2-3 times a week and lift more than him crew, checking in.

How much does he lift out of interest? I've not seen him mention his current lifts.
Age/stats/experience/weight? And big wow, you can lift a lot of weight. You're probably ugly and unaesthetic though :lol: .

I have a blog that's well established plus I'm on the leaderboard. You've had a blog in recent times - Le sulk or something similar

Call me fat, unaesthetic/ whatever, the level of caring I have for your jibes is nought :smile:

Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo

How much does he lift out of interest? I've not seen him mention his current lifts.

See above :smile:
Reply 69

Oh, how cute, helping your friend. Grow the **** up man. How much does he lift , "Yayyyy i lift more". Like it means anything. Why do you lift? Is it so you can go up to your friends and say I lift x amount? Sad man, sad.
Reply 70
I have a blog that's well established plus I'm on the leaderboard. You've had a blog in recent times - Le sulk or something similar

Call me fat, unaesthetic/ whatever, the level of caring I have for your jibes is nought :smile:

See above :smile:

I did not start the ad homs, you did, long ago. You have a tendency to follow my posts around. I don't like your tone.
Reply 71
Also, unlike your friend Scoobie, I am not going to go around posting your threads and information about you on here. You see, I actually have a sense of decency unlike Cucumber. I have a mental age of more than 5 years old.
Oh, how cute, helping your friend. Grow the **** up man. How much does he lift , "Yayyyy i lift more". Like it means anything. Why do you lift? Is it so you can go up to your friends and say I lift x amount? Sad man, sad.

There's no need to be so defensive. Did I touch a nerve or something by bringing up the subject of your current lifts? Don't be so insecure and snappy. I was curious as to how much you currently lift as you're "following" a program that focuses on getting stronger as a means of measured progression. Therefore "how much does he lift" (as I hadn't yet clicked on those links to where you mentioned what you currently lift) is a meaningful and genuine question as to gauge your progress and whether or not there is any point in you training 6 days a week and adding more to your routine (there isn't).

Follow the routine as it's written and you'll eventually have somewhat intermediate lifts. When you reach that point you may benefit from tweaking things/adding more volume etc.

I didn't say "yay I lift more" as that isn't exactly a great achievement. I was highlighting the point that you say you train 6 days a week, and you've said you don't seem to recover or make much progress. The two may be somewhat connected.

Bragging about my lifts is the main reason I lift, I must admit.
I did not start the ad homs, you did, long ago. You have a tendency to follow my posts around. I don't like your tone.

I don't follow your posts, you post in fitness, I'm a fitness mod. That's how this thing works

You lift to try and attract women from I can make of your aesthetics posts, I lift to be more athletic in performance. I could say the same about you, but as there's nothing intrinsically wrong with lifting for either, I shan't.

Also, unlike your friend Scoobie, I am not going to go around posting your threads and information about you on here. You see, I actually have a sense of decency unlike Cucumber. I have a mental age of more than 5 years old.

So it's not alright to call you out and post evidence, but it's ok to call me fat, call me weak etc?

Sounds fair

It's public information, you post it. It'll come back

I'm not hiding my stats - bench PB 107.5kg paused after 6-7 months training

OHP - 67.5kg strict around the same time

Squat - 120kg for 3 after 3 months training can't squat due to past injury (not lifting related)

137.5kg x 3 Deadlift but i've never trained it consistently due to same reason as squats

I haven't trained properly in 10 months

Cool, now I don't care, nor should you :smile:
In One Ear
I've never seen the point of geared lifting

This is just my 2p and the sum total of my 'equipped' lifting experience is I put a bench shirt on once and used hardcore knee wraps once for the lulz. It's just a game to try and beat the next guy (or girl) under a given set of parameters. It's to push the bounds of what is humanly possible.

It is really, really uncomfortable to try and bench with a shirt on. For starters you need a good amount of weight to even hit your chest. Then there's a very weird groove. Same deal with a squat suit from what I have been told. It's way more effort than it is worth (for me) but then again I don't really think the equipment game is entertaining/fulfilling. It's ok in my opinion so long as we are honest about what we do and don't misrepresent the results.

Big lifts doesn't necessarily mean you are better at giving advice than someone with smaller numbers. What an unnecessary comment.
Back on topic with my goals for 2015:

1. Don't be a weak person arguing on the internet about being less weak than someone else NO OFFENSE
2. Don't do any novice comps NO OFFENSE
Oh yeah and

3. Retire.
Reply 78
There's no need to be so defensive. Did I touch a nerve or something by bringing up the subject of your current lifts? Don't be so insecure and snappy. I was curious as to how much you currently lift as you're "following" a program that focuses on getting stronger as a means of measured progression. Therefore "how much does he lift" (as I hadn't yet clicked on those links to where you mentioned what you currently lift) is a meaningful and genuine question as to gauge your progress and whether or not there is any point in you training 6 days a week and adding more to your routine (there isn't).

Follow the routine as it's written and you'll eventually have somewhat intermediate lifts. When you reach that point you may benefit from tweaking things/adding more volume etc.

I didn't say "yay I lift more" as that isn't exactly a great achievement. I was highlighting the point that you say you train 6 days a week, and you've said you don't seem to recover or make much progress. The two may be somewhat connected.

Bragging about my lifts is the main reason I lift, I must admit.

Me and insecure and snappy? That Cucumber guy is the most insecure and snappy poster on here. . . befitting of the name "Angry". Sorry to say, but he started it and he starts it every time.
Original post by SmashConcept
Back on topic with my goals for 2015:
2. Don't do any novice comps NO OFFENSE

Ouch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest