Are good degrees from bad universities worthless? Watch

Beri
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oxbridge really isn't all there is to the world. Personally I consider UCL, Edinburgh, LSE, Imperial etc to be on the same level regardless of the common perception that they are still somewhat inferior.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The simple answer to the thread title is No. Whist the big graduate schemes are selective in this regard, there are a magnitude of graduate jobs available that don't. I also think that your subject matters quite a lot as well, anecdotally people seem to impressed when i say that i study Economics, they don't ask where.

Indeed we can look at the data for my course below..

https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subje...eturnTo/Search

Economics at ex-poly (i assume these are 2012 statistics)..

5% get a First (lower than the national average)
65% get a 2'1
25% get a 2'2

Average salary after 6 months is £19k (£1k below the national average for similar courses)

85% employment rate
65% in a professional or managerial job

Two most common job types for those graduates..

Business and public service associate professionals 40%
Administrative occupations: 20%

So not bad but could be better.

Compare to say Politics at Leeds Uni (what i could have done had i applied the year after - ended up surpassing what friends got to go to Leeds but i'd applied for Financial Economics without A level maths which is essentially why i was rejected) then i'd still have the same average wage (actually a lower average wage in 40 months) and the same professional employment rate. Granted if i had the A level maths and did Economics at Leeds then i'd have a 95% professional employment rate.
TimmonaPortella
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Beri)
Oxbridge really isn't all there is to the world. Personally I consider UCL, Edinburgh, LSE, Imperial etc to be on the same level regardless of the common perception that they are still somewhat inferior.
Based on?

Because the perception is common amongst academics and employers as well as everyone else.
Beri
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
Based on?

Because the perception is common amongst academics and employers as well as everyone else.
The way I see it it's one of those self-fulfilling scenarios, majority agrees so it's automatically true. No need to mention the education given is top notch but doesn't mean the other institutions I mentioned should be considered anything but less.
james22
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Beri)
The way I see it it's one of those self-fulfilling scenarios, majority agrees so it's automatically true. No need to mention the education given is top notch but doesn't mean the other institutions I mentioned should be considered anything but less.
Are you at any of the universities you mentioned and/or have you actually tried to compare them?
hassassin04
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by arminb)
It is harder to get a good degree from a **** uni. If you look at their stats, maybe 40-50% get 2.1 or above but this is 80-90% in a prestigious university. But certainly a 1.1 from a **** uni is not worthless because you have worked for for it. But a 2.1 from London Met. is not as valuable as a 2.1 from UCL ( very obviously). However, employers WILL respect that.

80-90% ? For what courses and unis is it the case?
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It depends what is it you are going to uni for.

If you are going to uni specifically for improvement of job prospects then a good degree from a bad uni is way better than a bad degree from a great uni. One thing many do forget to mention, most candidates for one of the good degrees at "bad unis" often have jobs even before they graduate. This is especially so with many of the more technical degrees.
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jamesb22)
Hi, just signed up to this forum after browsing it for some time now.

My question is: is having a well-regarded degree from a not so well-regarded university worthless? For example, a First Class Law degree from Middlesex or a First in Medicine from Plymouth. The impression I get from this forum is that such people have degrees 'not worth the paper they are written on'.

Would you all agree with this?
Tbh i've been helping interview graduates over the last few weeks and as an employer we don't really care which uni you went to.

Do well and get a good grade at uni, get some part time work at some point in your life and practice interviews until you can actually speak more than one word.

All of those are much more important than where your degree was.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TimmonaPortella
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Motorbiker)
Tbh i've been helping interview graduates over the last few weeks and as an employer we don't really care which uni you went to.
You don't speak for all employers. Some do.

It would help if you told us what field you're working in, and at what level you're recruiting.
infairverona
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
You don't speak for all employers. Some do.

It would help if you told us what field you're working in, and at what level you're recruiting.
Agreed. It 100% depends on the area of work.

I work in the recruitment department of an Ambulance Service (NHS) and I am astounded at how unintelligent you can be and still become a Paramedic. As long as you have done a BTEC, a Foundation Degree or a BSc (the latter being somewhat rare anyway) you can literally be a Paramedic with Cs and Ds in 2 A levels, and have gone to some of the worst universities in the country. Similar for nursing (we recruit nurses for leadership roles) and yet these are some of the best paid operational roles in the whole Trust...

On the other hand, I have AAB in decent A level subjects, a 2.1 in law from a decent uni, and yet I probably will never get a training contract anywhere because I got a 2.2 in my first and second year at uni. That's how law is. The standards differ MASSIVELY depending on the field.
Dumachi
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No. Only time it might be a issue is abroad where prestige is more important, but tbh that can easily be fixed with experience.
Slowbro93
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Surely this is really dependent on your area of employment.

I know for one that law is seriously difficult to get into if you don't go to one of their target unis.
jamesb22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by infairverona)
Agreed. It 100% depends on the area of work.

I work in the recruitment department of an Ambulance Service (NHS) and I am astounded at how unintelligent you can be and still become a Paramedic. As long as you have done a BTEC, a Foundation Degree or a BSc (the latter being somewhat rare anyway) you can literally be a Paramedic with Cs and Ds in 2 A levels, and have gone to some of the worst universities in the country. Similar for nursing (we recruit nurses for leadership roles) and yet these are some of the best paid operational roles in the whole Trust...

On the other hand, I have AAB in decent A level subjects, a 2.1 in law from a decent uni, and yet I probably will never get a training contract anywhere because I got a 2.2 in my first and second year at uni. That's how law is. The standards differ MASSIVELY depending on the field.
But the first year of university doesn't count so why do employers care what you got in your first year?

Do you think if you got a first from a lower-ranked university you would be in a better position in getting a training contract?
Slowbro93
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
But the first year of university doesn't count so why do employers care what you got in your first year?

Do you think if you got a first from a lower-ranked university you would be in a better position in getting a training contract?
Because even though first year doesn't count, it shows consistency. It's also an issue if you say are applying for internships in your second year and your first year results are a bit dodgy tbh
jamesb22
Rep:
?
(Original post by Slowbro93)
Because even though first year doesn't count, it shows consistency. It's also an issue if you say are applying for internships in your second year and your first year results are a bit dodgy tbh
If you're applying for jobs once you've graduated do employers ask to see your transcript with your first year results? I thought they were only interested in the final certificate that says 1:1 or 2:1. I take your point on applying for internships though.
Thoth's World
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think it is better to go to a better University, whether it be a Russel Group or Oxbridge, because the standard of teaching is higher quality than a lower ranked University. But in all fairness, its up to the person and what suits them best.
Slowbro93
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you're applying for jobs once you've graduated do employers ask to see your transcript with your first year results? I thought they were only interested in the final certificate that says 1:1 or 2:1. I take your point on applying for internships though.
They can ask for it if they want to (and for one job I applied for, they asked for a breakdown of my marks)
jamesb22
Rep:
?
(Original post by Slowbro93)
They can ask for it if they want to (and for one job I applied for, they asked for a breakdown of my marks)
Wow, I guess I won't be messing about in my first year! What kind of job was that?
Slowbro93
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wow, I guess I won't be messing about in my first year! What kind of job was that?
This was for the civil service. For some big grad schemes to they may ask for all your marks in all 3 years. However, I don't want to make a massive generalisation.

Just work in your first year
donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My husband had to show his transcript when he started in his job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed