The Student Room Group

Overrated Universities.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Okorange
No its not. Its also known for the university, Prince William/Kate Middleton and for being very popular with Americans for both a degree and exchange.

Good point.

100% known for golf and two fairly boring and unintelligent people being alumni. Boring and unintelligent, sums up St. Andrews pretty neatly.
Original post by Classical Liberal
Good point.

100% known for golf and two fairly boring and unintelligent people being alumni. Boring and unintelligent, sums up St. Andrews pretty neatly.

I can only agree with the first sentence, disagree with the last part completely. You clearly don't know anything about St Andrews, have you even been?
I can only agree with the first sentence, disagree with the last part completely. You clearly don't know anything about St Andrews, have you even been?

I have. It's pretty boring except for the golf course.
I have. It's pretty boring except for the golf course.

I meant have you attended the university... St Andrews is a pretty boring town, but unintellectual is just ridiculous.

Not to bring your university into this but I just looked at Bristol's alumni list, full of media figures not much substance and no one recognizable....
I meant have you attended the university... St Andrews is a pretty boring town, but unintellectual is just ridiculous.

Not to bring your university into this but I just looked at Bristol's alumni list, full of media figures not much substance and no one recognizable....

Chancellor Winston Churchill not good enough for you? Also, most recognisable people are media figures (except athletes), that's kinda what makes them recoginisable. Bristol is pretty good for creative arts and media - Jeremy Irons trained at the Bristol old Vic. Colston Hall is one the best places for comedy in the country. What has St. Andrews got?

How's St. Andrews doing on research? Not as good as Bristol...
Chancellor Winston Churchill not good enough for you? Also, most recognisable people are media figures (except athletes), that's kinda what makes them recoginisable. Bristol is pretty good for creative arts and media - Jeremy Irons trained at the Bristol old Vic. Colston Hall is one the best places for comedy in the country. What has St. Andrews got?

How's St. Andrews doing on research? Not as good as Bristol...

Haha... Churchill did not attend Bristol for a degree, he was Chancellor that doesn't mean a thing. He was also Rector of Edinburgh and Aberdeen, its a honorary title.

Bristol has nearly 6000 postgrads, St Andrews less than 2000. St Andrews does pretty well for its size no doubt. St Andrews has top quality physics research:

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/news/archive/2014/title,252235,en.php
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/news/archive/2014/title,252191,en.php
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/news/archive/2013/title,233017,en.php
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/news/archive/2013/title,224725,en.php

It has the 3rd highest UCAS entry tariff of any comprehensive university.

St Andrews has plenty of famous alumni, people who actually made a difference, i've already mentioned them previously so not going to mention them again.
(edited 9 years ago)
Haha... Churchill did not attend Bristol for a degree, he was Chancellor that doesn't mean a thing. He was also Rector of Edinburgh and Aberdeen, its a honorary title.

Bristol has nearly 6000 postgrads, St Andrews less than 2000. St Andrews does pretty well for its size no doubt. St Andrews has plenty of famous alumni, people who actually made a difference, i've already mentioned them previously so not going to mention them again if you are interested just look it up.

I'm not.
I'm not.

Well then why did you even ask?
Well then why did you even ask?

To piss you off [obviously]
Reply 69
I go to Birmingham and no it's not elite in the slightest and some of my lectures talk about it being 'elite' which is rather annoying.

But anyway, I had to get A*AA for my course which is arguably prestigious in some accounts but the University definitely isn't.

Besides, some of the Universities you call prestigious like LSE have some courses which are only AAB.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good point.

^^This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Once everyone accepts the fact that Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial are the only world class institutions in the UK the world will be a better place :biggrin: me being a Durham applicant I'm just happy we're renowned as the best place to go to outside of the 'golden triangle' in the UK (Oxbridge and London) also our collegiate system and Cathedrals pretty nice too :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by corax
I go to Birmingham and no it's not elite in the slightest and some of my lectures talk about it being 'elite' which is rather annoying.

But anyway, I had to get A*AA for my course which is arguably prestigious in some accounts but the University definitely isn't.

Besides, some of the Universities you call prestigious like LSE have some courses which are only AAB.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which course do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
To piss you off [obviously]

Childish...
Reply 74
You sound like a prick.
Reply 75
Original post by WilJones138
Which course do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Liberal Arts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think St Andrews is the Scottish version of Oxford

Posted from TSR Mobile
Manchester has had 25 Nobel laureates who have studied or worked there. Also, it has 4 Nobel laureates in its staff. I hope to be taught by one. It has the most Nobel laureates in its staff, Cambridge second with two and Oxford third with none with all other universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by corax

Posted from TSR Mobile

But most LSE offer holders have much higher grades AAB is the minimum standard offer. Same where Oxbridge offer holders exceed the requirements.
Reply 79
SOAS is a bit rubbish.

All the polytechnics are obviously bull.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending