Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Go to 6:20 time on this video and listen to this food bank worker. He is telling Artist Taxi Driver that food banks have to pay 20% VAT for transferring food to give to people who are in poverty. And ... They also have to pay market rates for it.

This is totally wrong. Government encouraging the profiteering out of poverty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Sanctions don't get handed out willy nilly.
    Yes they do! I've been sanctioned myself and have witnessed others being sanctioned for the most minor things. There is also a signed letter from the DWP concerning sanction targets. The staff get free holidays and otehr perks for sanctioning claimants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Oh really? Have you heard some of the ridiculous reasons people have gotten sanctioned....or even been wrongly sanctioned (and by the way it takes weeks for those wrongly sanctioned to get their money back, what are they supposed to do in the mean time?) This is why we need food banks.

Here are some ridiculous sanction reasons for you:
    -Went to a job interview instead of a job centre appointment (job centre refused to change appointment slot)
    -or on the opposite side went to a job centre appointment instead of a job interview (seems you can't win).
    -Miss job centre appointment due to a close family members funeral
    -Arrive late to job centre appointment due to a job interview running later than it was supposed to, lose your benefits for a month
    -You get told to apply for a certain job online, go online and it has since expired. get sanctioned for 13 weeks

Are you kidding me? These are all things that have happened, and that was just a few.
    Here's some other.

I was told to write down what job hunting activities I did, and I didn't bother.

I missed my appointment at the job centre because I forgot/couldn't be bothered/was too hungover.
    Some Job Centres are setting benefit sanction targets. The reasoning behind some sanctions, therefore, isn't based on the truth or evidence, it's based on a disgraceful arbitrary target.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...ctions-targets

ReputationRep:
    He just played the emotional card, you could justify anything when you start talking about "apparent" stories. No fact and no reason to distribute funding

ReputationRep:
    Here's some other.

I was told to write down what job hunting activities I did, and I didn't bother.

I missed my appointment at the job centre because I forgot/couldn't be bothered/was too hungover.
    :rolleyes:

Let me also remind you that in 2013, 58% of those who wanted to overturn DWP sanction decisions in independent tribunals were successful. Before 2010, the success rate of appeals was 20% or less. What does it say about the current system if the majority of those challenging the DWP are found to have been wrongly sanctioned?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...fits-claimants

There's an ideologically fuelled class-war going on before your eyes and you're too naive and indoctrinated to see it.

ReputationRep:
    X
    (Original post by The Juan)
    He just played the emotional card, you could justify anything when you start talking about "apparent" stories. No fact and no reason to distribute funding
    Here's a couple of facts for you: one-third of those relying on food banks do so because of benefit delays; 19% do so because of benefit sanctions.

http://www.trusselltrust.org/foodbank-numbers-triple

"65,177 people (19%) were referred to Trussell Trust foodbanks due to benefit changes between April and September 2013, compared to almost 14,897 (14%) in same period last year. 117,442 people (35%)were referred due to benefit delay, compared to 35,597 (33%) last year".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Burridge)
    Some Job Centres are setting benefit sanction targets. The reasoning behind some sanctions, therefore, isn't based on the truth or evidence, it's based on a disgraceful arbitrary target.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...ctions-targets

Yeah I heard about that, bloody disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    Yes they do! I've been sanctioned myself and have witnessed others being sanctioned for the most minor things. There is also a signed letter from the DWP concerning sanction targets. The staff get free holidays and otehr perks for sanctioning claimants.
    What were you sanctioned for ?

ReputationRep:
    I noticed mr Curran makes no reference to people having to use food banks because they've failed to budget or that they're an increasing social phenomenon throughout te western world that will still be with us even if we dramatically increased welfare spending.

What I find amazing is that me curran hasn't criticised the SNP in any of this even though they've had ample opportunity to get involved.
    Sanctions don't get handed out willy nilly.

There has to be a carrot and stick.
    For a man who purports to have such unshakeable experience of "the real world", these two posts encapsulate how much you're talking out of your arse on this particular matter.

ReputationRep:
    Universal Basic Income!

None of this would be happening.

When the Church of England (which is a deeply conservative institution) is saying there is a problem there is a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moosferatu)
    For a man who purports to have such unshakeable experience of "the real world", these two posts encapsulate how much you're talking out of your arse on this particular matter.
    How's that then?

Rules are clearly explained. Break them and there's sanctions.

How else do you ensure that people paid to look for work are actually looking for work.

It may come as a bit if a shock to you but there's quite a few people on benefits who have no intention of finding work.

ReputationRep:
    How's that then?

Rules are clearly explained. Break them and there's sanctions.

How else do you ensure that people paid to look for work are actually looking for work.

It may come as a bit if a shock to you but there's quite a few people on benefits who have no intention of finding work.
    Care to respond to the points I made re. sanction targets, wrongly imposed sanctions, and food bank users?

I've rebutted a number of your claims in this thread with evidence (as opposed to the baseless stereotypes that you clearly prefer), yet you still seem to be espousing the same old vitriolic nonsense :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Burridge)
    Care to respond to the points I made re. sanction targets, wrongly imposed sanctions, and food bank users?

I've rebutted a number of your claims in this thread with evidence (as opposed to the baseless stereotypes that you clearly prefer), yet you still seem to be espousing the same old vitriolic nonsense :yawn:
    Are we upset a little bit?

I've no problem with getting targets set. The police set targets for their officers. It deviant mean they're fitting people up just to meet targets.

I don't doubt some sanctions get incorrectly imposed. But that's the minority.

Food banks. A new method for delivering food for those who can't budget properly? Or a global phenomena based on the fact that we're wasting more food now in the supply chain than at any other time in history.

ReputationRep:
    Are we upset a little bit?

I've no problem with getting targets set. The police set targets for their officers. It deviant mean they're fitting people up just to meet targets.

I don't doubt some sanctions get incorrectly imposed. But that's the minority.

Food banks. A new method for delivering food for those who can't budget properly? Or a global phenomena based on the fact that we're wasting more food now in the supply chain than at any other time in history.
    Then why are 58% of sanction appeals successful after them being found to have been wrongly sanctioned?

ReputationRep:
    Then why are 58% of sanction appeals successful after them being found to have been wrongly sanctioned?
    Sanctions are temporary measures. They ultimately get overturned as they're temporary.

Although is like to see your evidence for that claim.

42% of sanctions arent then?

ReputationRep:
    Sanctions are temporary measures. They ultimately get overturned as they're temporary.

Although is like to see your evidence for that claim.

42% of sanctions arent then?
    Someone else posted a link to the stats before (you ignored it) I think it was Burridge.

Temporary or not (they can last up to 3 months) it leaves job seekers without ANY income for sometimes months at a time and as the statistics say 58% of those have had their money stopped wrongly. What are these people supposed to do for food in the weeks/ sometimes months they have no money?

ReputationRep:
    Someone else posted a link to the stats before (you ignored it) I think it was Burridge.

Temporary or not (they can last up to 3 months) it leaves job seekers without ANY income for sometimes months at a time and as the statistics say 58% of those have had their money stopped wrongly. What are these people supposed to do for food in the weeks/ sometimes months they have no money?
    I'll let you dig the evidence out for me.

When you've claimed 58%. It that 58% of appeals are successful?

ReputationRep:
    I'll let you dig the evidence out for me.

When you've claimed 58%. It that 58% of appeals are successful?
    http://www.westlothian.gov.uk/articl...ance-Sanctions

" Statistics show that between October 2012 and September 2013, 58% of sanction appeals were successful."

58% of appeals are successful

ReputationRep:
    http://www.westlothian.gov.uk/articl...ance-Sanctions

" Statistics show that between October 2012 and September 2013, 58% of sanction appeals were successful."

58% of appeals are successful
    How many sanctions result in appeals.

If say for example 1000 sanctions are imposed and only 100 are appealed then that means the 942 times out of 1000 they're justified.0

ReputationRep:
    How many sanctions result in appeals.

If say for example 1000 sanctions are imposed and only 100 are appealed then that means the 942 times out of 1000 they're justified.0

Not a clue

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.