I just wanted to vote. (8)
15.38%
CatnipGlows
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Zhukov)
Surely, one can simply choose not to by said newspaper? Why the need to ban something so innocuous?
They haven't banned it really, just stopped selling it. I'm not saying there's any need to ban it, I just don't see the need for it really. But if people want to, then they can carry on
Jews R Evil
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A media owned by Jews cannot be trusted. The Jews use the media to twist everything from the situation in Ukraine to spreading homosexuality.Learn the truth.
SirMasterKey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
Fantastic news, the sooner this filthy rag is taken out of circulation the better. Why any person in receipt of a university education would even want to read such an inept, feeble attempt at ''journalism'' is beyond me.
The University of Leicester SU has 'boycotted' the Sun since earlier this year. Stats actually showed it was the 3rd most popular newspaper. They boycotted it surrounding 'No more Page 3' and yet still sold the Daily Star. Ridiculous.

Also as someone said banning it in the SU is different to banning it in the university full stop. At Leicester, those inclined to read the Sun could still go to the Uni shop rather than the SU one.
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ban this filth; it's indecent! (Or, in this case, ban its sale).

How have student unions become like this? They were supposed be bastions of open-mindedness, freedom of expression and democracy. Now they're behaving like moronic thought police naively stamping out anything they don't happen to agree with.
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Zhukov)
Yet both have very high readerships. The Tab has the highest readership of any student news site and The Sun is the highest selling newspaper in the UK. So both are very successful.
That says a lot about the UK, doesn't it?
ltsmith
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lmao some people just get butthurt so easily. What's the problem with having pictures of naked women in a newspaper? It's just a marketing technique, sex appeal helps products sell. The Sun get ££, the models get ££, the readers get entertained by the content and everyone's happy apart from a few opinionated 19 year old femenezi's. If you don't like it, don't buy it lol. There's no point in policing thoughts by stopping other people from reading it simply because you don't like it. It's like saying "I think fifty shades of grey objectifies women, therefore we are banning it so it doesn't make you impure."
Zhukov
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Juichiro)
That says a lot about the UK, doesn't it?
Clever marketing strategy. It works, it is effective. One wold have to be vey stupid indeed to think that because The Sun is a tabloid its writers are not intelligent.
Zhukov
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dandaman1)
Ban this filth; it's indecent! (Or, in this case, ban its sale).

How have student unions become like this? They were supposed be bastions of open-mindedness, freedom of expression and democracy. Now they're behaving like moronic thought police naively stamping out anything they don't happen to agree with.
Yes, I agree.
Zhukov
Rep:
?
(Original post by ltsmith)
Lmao some people just get butthurt so easily. What's the problem with having pictures of naked women in a newspaper? It's just a marketing technique, sex appeal helps products sell. The Sun get ££, the models get ££, the readers get entertained by the content and everyone's happy apart from a few opinionated 19 year old femenezi's. If you don't like it, don't buy it lol. There's no point in policing thoughts by stopping other people from reading it simply because you don't like it. It's like saying "I think fifty shades of grey objectifies women, therefore we are banning it so it doesn't make you impure."

An interesting point.
WCR64
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by anarchism101)
Indeed. You're perfectly free to buy the Sun elsewhere and read it in the SU, but that sounds less good for the righties to complain about.

Seriously think about it - the alternative is that the SU shop should be forced to sell the Sun.
Sad that yet another University has been infected by the abject excuse for "journalism" that passes as The T*b. If there was any justice - they would have banned that instead.

Unfortunately - poorly written, factually incorrect, sensationalist for the sake of it articles that typify their brand of gutter journalism seem to be alive and well.

:rolleyes:
Zhukov
Rep:
?
(Original post by WCR64)
Sad that yet another University has been infected by the abject excuse for "journalism" that passes as The T*b. If there was any justice - they would have banned that instead.

Unfortunately - poorly written, factually incorrect, sensationalist for the sake of it articles that typify their brand of gutter journalism seem to be alive and well.

:rolleyes:
You sound bitter. It is a sad reflection of your intolerance if you feel the need to ban newspapers that disagree with your views.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (228)
39.31%
No - but I will (40)
6.9%
No - I don't want to (41)
7.07%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (271)
46.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise