Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I personally think that on TSR even the littlest of things are considered as being offensive. Like you can't even make a joke without someone reporting you..

ReputationRep:
    TSR still has not grasped the difference between 'offensive' and rude, blunt, honest, matter-of-fact, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I've never really had a problem with the rules on offensiveness. I've been here two and a half years and have never received so much as a reminder. Doesn't mean it will never happen, but if it does, it probably means I've crossed the line.

I think that this site is pretty relaxed, really. I know another site where, in the public chat feature, you can't even call yourself an idiot, because it's considered to be derogatory, and you can't mention caffeine or paracetamol as they're classed as drugs. I received a warning there, once, for mentioning Guns N' Roses, because guns are linked with violence :laugh:. So yeah, TSR is quite liberal compared to that.

ReputationRep:
    What annoys me is when the message isn't quoted in the card/warning message. If I did several posts in a thread and only one is deleted, how am I meant to know which they mean, and where the line is?

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait for this thread to be ignored and be carded for jokingly insisting that I belong to a master race.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys, please keep this discussion sensible. If you'd ever like to change the rules on offensiveness, you have to give (made up) examples. E.g.

Offensive
    "**** off, no one on here likes you because you look like a freak." said in response to someone who has recently posted a photo of themselves.

Not offensive
    Said in reply to a friend: "get lost no one cares what you think "

I don't buy into the fact our rules on offensiveness are not clear, they are very clear. And the CT always see what the mod team do. 99.9% of the time the team are spot on. Offensiveness is never, ever going to be totally clear cut because personal judgement has to be involved. There is context of the thread, context of relationships, context of past relationships, context of other discussions linked to it, context of that person's community record and so on.

If offensiveness ever were black and white, we would create an algorithm and let TSR run itself - that's not the way life works I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    I don't buy into the fact our rules on offensiveness are not clear, they are very clear. And the CT always see what the mod team do. 99.9% of the time the team are spot on. Offensiveness is never, ever going to be totally clear cut because personal judgement has to be involved. There is context of the thread, context of relationships, context of past relationships, context of other discussions linked to it, context of that person's community record and so on.
    Sentences 1 and 4 contradict each other somewhat, don't you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What addylad said.

Guys, please keep this discussion sensible. If you'd ever like to change the rules on offensiveness, you have to give (made up) examples. E.g.

Offensive
    "**** off, no one on here likes you because you look like a freak." said in response to someone who has recently posted a photo of themselves.
    That's obviously not acceptable, the rest is fine. The bolded is a personal attack. But you can't be carding people for swearing with a swear filter in place, nowt wrong with telling someone to **** off.

Not offensive
    If the wrong mod sees that they would actually card it though.

I don't buy into the fact our rules on offensiveness are not clear, they are very clear.
    It's not clear. You can be carded for posting an opinion. You should not have a forum where we discuss opinions and card people for posting opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    What addylad said.

That's obviously not acceptable, the rest is fine. The bolded is a personal attack. But you can't be carding people for swearing with a swear filter in place, nowt wrong with telling someone to **** off.

It's not clear. You can be carded for posting an opinion. You should not have a forum where we discuss opinions and card people for posting opinions.
    Totally agree with you here 100%. There should be clear cut rules as to what can and what cannot be carded. :yep:

And if you happen to get carded for something that shouldn't have been carded you should go to AAM and ask for it to be overturned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    Sentences 1 and 4 contradict each other somewhat, don't you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not at all, why?

I think this is the problem you are having. Life is not black and white, it never will be. You can have clear rules applied with judgement. On a site with billions of combinations of situations, you cannot have catch all rules for every single eventuality, this does not mean the catch all rules we do have are not clear.

Unfortunately, if you can't cope with that, that's just the way TSR works and you have to decide if you buy into that and continue using the service or you don't.

ReputationRep:
    What addylad said.

(Original post by spotify95)
    Totally agree with you here 100%. There should be clear cut rules as to what can and what cannot be carded. :yep:

And if you happen to get carded for something that shouldn't have been carded you should go to AAM and ask for it to be overturned.
    Please see my post above because it covers both of these posts.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer

the problem is some people hold offensive opinions.

Back in the mists of time TSR was invaded by posters from stormfront who were trying to spread racist messages and stir up ****. Quite rightly those members were banned and the rules made clear that this sort of posting is not on

"4. Do not express discriminatory or otherwise offensive views. You know the kind of thing – there’s no place for racism, religious hatred, sexism or homophobia here. We recognise that discussion of certain social and political issues may legitimately require the use of sensitive or potentially offensive terms, but outside of those limited contexts the use of such terms is not allowed on this site."
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...ommunity-Rules

You get some users who can express controversial opinions in a civil manner but most tend to get angry when challenged and start chucking out personal attacks. I don't see why TSR should tolerate people who become aggressive or who post discriminatory opinions - there are plenty if sites that will allow that ****. TSR is a site rooted in education, learning and helping - having a no discriminatory opinions rule is pretty much in line with the rules in schools/colleges/unis/workplaces.

ReputationRep:
    Please see my post above because it covers both of these posts.
    Okay thanks for the clarification Dw I won't be leaving TSR anytime soon :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    the problem is some people hold offensive opinions.

Back in the mists of time TSR was invaded by posters from stormfront who were trying to spread racist messages and stir up ****. Quite rightly those members were banned and the rules made clear that this sort of posting is not on

"4. Do not express discriminatory or otherwise offensive views. You know the kind of thing – there’s no place for racism, religious hatred, sexism or homophobia here. We recognise that discussion of certain social and political issues may legitimately require the use of sensitive or potentially offensive terms, but outside of those limited contexts the use of such terms is not allowed on this site."
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...ommunity-Rules

You get some users who can express controversial opinions in a civil manner but most tend to get angry when challenged and start chucking out personal attacks. I don't see why TSR should tolerate people who become aggressive or who post discriminatory opinions - there are plenty if sites that will allow that ****. TSR is a site rooted in education, learning and helping - having a no discriminatory opinions rule is pretty much in line with the rules in schools/colleges/unis/workplaces.
    Hear hear!

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, why?

I think this is the problem you are having. Life is not black and white, it never will be. You can have clear rules applied with judgement. On a site with billions of combinations of situations, you cannot have catch all rules for every single eventuality, this does not mean the catch all rules we do have are not clear.

Unfortunately, if you can't cope with that, that's just the way TSR works and you have to decide if you buy into that and continue using the service or you don't.
    Well, we can discuss hypothetical situations till the cows go home, but you don't seem to be able to provide past examples of what has been said on these forums, and what was judged to have been offensive.

It's amusing, on one hand TSR is trying to promote an (unattainable) atmosphere where nobody says anything that could hurt someone's feelings. But question the rules and you get the polite equivalent of, "**** off". Note that the way you reply to people and interact with them is visible by all. "That's just the way it works," right?

ReputationRep:

Offensive

Not offensive

If offensiveness ever were black and white, we would create an algorithm and let TSR run itself - that's not the way life works I'm afraid.
    Here is something TSR needs to massively deal with. Examples:

1) "If you sleep with 250 people, you're bat**** insane."
    **NOT ALLOWED**

2) "If you hate black people, you're bat**** insane"
    **ALLOWED**

a)"British women are revolting"
    **NOT ALLOWED**

b)"Islam is revolting"
    **ALLOWED**

The generalisation rule on offensive is a complete nonsensical cop-out of actually having to be clear on rules. If I was to say I was offended by homosexuals, blacks and jews would you go on a homophobic, racist, anti-semitic purge of the forum? Of course not. Yet if someone is offended by someone's genuine personal view on a situation, then blue cards all around.

You guys need to draw a line between being over sensitive and being offensive, otherwise you just kill debates before they've began.

Considering how often the UI for this site is updated, I'm pretty sure that you guys are struggling with keeping people. I can definitively tell you right now that a large part of that is the moderation. Look at the activity of debates compared to nonsensical chat threads and vacuous AMA's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoking)
    Considering how often the UI for this site is updated, I'm pretty sure that you guys are struggling with keeping people.
    No need to worry, I can assure you we are not. Nov 2014 had more people register than any other Nov in TSR's history and likewise with posters and traffic.

That's largely thanks to the changes that do happen and the great community.

Look, I don't disagree with you that our rules need reviewing and updating more frequently than they have been.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    the problems is some people hold offensive opinions.
    So? Offensive could mean anything. Totally subjective.

Personal abuse should be the line, not posting an opinion that might upset others. Also read what geoking just said, it's spot on.

And it's not just things that can be considered discriminatory that get carded for being offensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    It's amusing, on one hand TSR is trying to promote an (unattainable) atmosphere where nobody says anything that could hurt someone's feelings. But question the rules and you get the polite equivalent of, "**** off". Note that the way you reply to people and interact with them is visible by all. "That's just the way it works," right?
    I spent 23 years in full time employment, and that pretty much sums up core corporate policies for employee behaviour and how attempted discussion is handled.

TSR is pretty much like the real world in that respect, except in the real world you get sacked not banned. Look on it as good practice.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    No need to worry, I can assure you we are not. Nov 2014 had more people register than any other Nov in TSR's history and likewise with posters and traffic.
    To bring fair about a quarter of those would be jameel:erm:

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.