Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

2015 Compensation for Banking - MEGA THREAD watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    guys, quick net salary question for those of you that know better than me the tax system in UK: how much you pocket with a £45k salary in the UK after tax per month?
    I am talking about someone working all year round, not a summer intern.
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sertur91)
    guys, quick net salary question for those of you that know better than me the tax system in UK: how much you pocket with a £45k salary in the UK after tax per month?
    I am talking about someone working all year round, not a summer intern.
    thanks!
    This should help:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tax-calculator/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    very useful, thanks!
    one more question, probably a silly one for a UK resident: why is there the "exclude national insurance" option? if someone pays the private pension contribution can avoid paying national insurance?
    thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sertur91)
    very useful, thanks!
    one more question, probably a silly one for a UK resident: why is there the "exclude national insurance" option? if someone pays the private pension contribution can avoid paying national insurance?
    thanks again
    Well, I'm only young so not sure myself.

My understanding is that everyone pays national insurance, there is no 'opt-out' as it were, regardless of if you have a private pension etc.

I think the option is there because in some instances if you're on a very low income or only working very few hours/part-time then you're not required to make national insurance contributions. Could be wrong though.

As a banker, you'll certainly be contributing a lot though, haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLL)
    Street or slightly above.

Not what I've heard. Heard the french banks are known to pay below street.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAINE.)
    Not what I've heard. Heard the french banks are known to pay below street.
    Not in base.
    You probably heard a bunch of VIEs who think they're analysts chat that.
    At SG, back office gets 45. FO gets more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    Well, I'm only young so not sure myself.

My understanding is that everyone pays national insurance, there is no 'opt-out' as it were, regardless of if you have a private pension etc.

I think the option is there because in some instances if you're on a very low income or only working very few hours/part-time then you're not required to make national insurance contributions. Could be wrong though.

As a banker, you'll certainly be contributing a lot though, haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ah ok makes sense.. thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLL)
    Not in base.
    You probably heard a bunch of VIEs who think they're analysts chat that.
    At SG, back office gets 45. FO gets more
    Is it a confirmed fact that B/O at SG get £45k? Is this for first year analysts?

ReputationRep:
    I am not familiar with the UK tax systems, so i wonder how much of the summer intership salary goes to nationa insurance. Also, am I right that you pay no income tax as it is below 10k treshold?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spoli21)
    I am not familiar with the UK tax systems, so i wonder how much of the summer intership salary goes to nationa insurance. Also, am I right that you pay no income tax as it is below 10k treshold?
    You pay income tax via PAYE and then have it refunded at a later date if your overall yearly earnings don't go over the threshold because your pro-rata salary is in the higher income bracket, that's my understanding anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You pay income tax via PAYE and then have it refunded at a later date if your overall yearly earnings don't go over the threshold because your pro-rata salary is in the higher income bracket, that's my understanding anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can avoid paying tax if you have a P45/P60 and the employer essentially indicates it's a fixed term contract showing what your earnings will be. I just don't think the banks bother with so many interns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liamp487)
    Is it a confirmed fact that B/O at SG get £45k? Is this for first year analysts?
    It's what I've been told by several people who got in the grad scheme. I did not verify this with SG Hr or check the contracts.
    Yes, first years in the grad scheme. May differ if you're not on the grad scheme

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, this might be a naive question, but do spring interns get paid, or is it just accomodation??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KiiMoZz)
    Hi guys, this might be a naive question, but do spring interns get paid, or is it just accomodation??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Spring Week or actual Spring Intern?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Spring Week or actual Spring Intern?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Spring week for Barclays front office say... I read reviews that say they were paid

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KiiMoZz)
    Spring week for Barclays front office say... I read reviews that say they were paid

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Barclays have given £250 expenses in the past.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.