The Student Room Group

GIRLS! Would you mind being a housewife?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TurboCretin
Haha, maybe he finds himself ostracised if he doesn't speak in terms partners will understand.

In all seriousness, though, in and of itself I don't see why someone doing part-time pro bono as a pastime would be so unreasonable (if they really enjoy law that much). That said, I don't know much about the practicalities of doing that wrt regulatory requirements etc.

I believe it's absolutely paramount that there is fundamental synergy between our CSR responsibilities and the business needs of a modern, client oriented, international legal facilitator such as Big, Swinging and Dick LLP. Consequently I propose sending full bills to each of our Pro Bono clients and seeing what the commercial response is.

*Contemplates inevitable new partner email*

*Measures office for new desk*

*Interviews for PA*

*Orders golf clubs*

I suppose not, I just think the nature of how demanding even PB clients are I'd get frustrated not being paid for it.
I wouldn't, but not full time though, a part time job would be nice to go with it
Yeah I would mind. I don't fancy that kinda lifestyle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldnt mind it.
Id like it tbh.
Reply 64
Original post by Romula
Yes. Absolutely. If I got married, we would both have a career, and he would damn well have a fifty-fifty share of the housework. I would never be bound to a domestic life and financial dependence on a spouse purely because he is rich and I am a woman.

It sounds like you are kidding yourself. It's not about you being a woman, it's about what a relationship is. If you think a man would want to marry a woman who is not going to do more domestic work than him, you should think again. This argument is even stronger for a rich man.
Reply 65
I'd like it tbh. But not for the sake of it, if the single incomes not enough to get by and i can help, then I'd probably get a part time job to supplement it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd hate it after a while. I'd find it incredibly boring and would probably start taking up drinking just to pass the time. I'd hate having no purpose beyond cooking and cleaning. I would rather do something more meaningful with my life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would probably say that if being a house wife defined me, I'd mind that.
I'd hate to be a housewife. My mother is a housewife and she seems so unhappy.
I wouldn't mind but I'd get bored at home.
I would absolutely hate it. I couldn't stomach the idea of being financially dependent on someone else.
Original post by xylas

Original post by Romula
Yes. Absolutely. If I got married, we would both have a career, and he would damn well have a fifty-fifty share of the housework. I would never be bound to a domestic life and financial dependence on a spouse purely because he is rich and I am a woman.
It sounds like you are kidding yourself. It's not about you being a woman, it's about what a relationship is. If you think a man would want to marry a woman who is not going to do more domestic work than him, you should think again. This argument is even stronger for a rich man.

What the hell are you talking about? It's only old-fashioned men (to put it politely) who think like that, and I presume that's not that kind of man Romula would be thinking of marrying anyway.

My husband does significantly more housework than I do, while I take care of the garden, house maintenance and DIY. It's all about playing to strengths - he enjoys cooking and is very good at it, whereas I find it mostly pretty tedious; I enjoy doing practical things, whereas he's not that fussed about how the house looks. Not every man thinks like you do.
Reply 72
Original post by *pitseleh*
What the hell are you talking about? It's only old-fashioned men (to put it politely) who think like that, and I presume that's not that kind of man Romula would be thinking of marrying anyway.

My husband does significantly more housework than I do, while I go on TSR and make stupid assumptions about people. It's all about playing to strengths - he enjoys cooking and is very good at it, whereas I find it mostly pretty tedious; I enjoy doing practical things, whereas he's not that fussed about how the house looks. Not every man thinks like you do.

Cool, if you actually met me you would instantly take back calling me old-fashioned. Also, since you took the liberty of interjecting into my reply to someone else, how about you address what I actually said to that person. Do you work full-time? Is your husband rich?
Reply 73
I wouldnt mind tbh. Infact it would probably be better. have one less job to deal with (outside work) :tongue: I would actually like that :biggrin:
Reply 74
Yup. When **** hits the fan I don't want to be in a position where I'm reliant on him to support me even after we're separated. I don't want to have to ask my husband for personal things (like gifts to myself/friends or holidays with friends). I'd like to be able to fund the lifestyle I want in addition to having and supporting my partner (who should equally support me as well).
But I do love cooking so I wouldn't mind be in charge of meals, but cleaning and other chores have to be split.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tnshattock
50s-60s style, stay at home housewife. Being financially dependent on your partner, cooking, cleaning, taking care of the kid(s) until your partner got back.

Assume that your future husband is a decent one, who does not take you foregranted, and actually gives you the money for things, plus an allowance, etc.

The values of the ideal 50s-60s era home, just for the sake of this scenario.

Would you mind being a housewife?

Yes I would mind. Im not paying 9k a year to sit on my arse and clean all day. If i didn't give a toss about my career it would obviously sound perfect. Maybe i wouldn't mind if I gave birth but it wouldn't last long as I would be back to work.
Reply 76
Nope, I am told I am well domesticated so would make a good housewife anyway lol. Plus I would just run my business from home.
Original post by SophiaLDN
Depends on the husband, so going by your second paragraph id say yes. For sure. Edit: also it depends on his income because nobody wants to be a struggle housewife.

If I had children, I wouldn't want to leave my baby with a nanny & see them getting hulk-slammed on a nanny-cam. So I think id be a housewife in that situation also.

Wouldn't that mean your degree was a waste of time?
Original post by beaverhausen
I'd hate it after a while. I'd find it incredibly boring and would probably start taking up drinking just to pass the time. I'd hate having no purpose beyond cooking and cleaning. I would rather do something more meaningful with my life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You read my mind!!!
+1
Also, wouldn't their degree (the girls on this forum saying they wouldnt mind) be a waste of time? Who in their right mind wants to pay 9k a year and do all these hard assignments and exams to end up sitting on their arse all day/cleaning+cooking after graduation?
Yes I'd mind, I am career driven and I would go crazy staying in the house all day having to clean/look after kids all day every damn day.

Quick Reply

Latest