Viridiana
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Spetznaaz)
Cliffs?
My post from yesterday:

You see what you want to see. I am not saying men have it better in all aspects of life. I'm saying we shouldn't let people's sex define how we see them. It's feminists who say that men should be allowed paternal leave, or not be looked down upon for having a "feminine" job, or not be scorned for displaying their feelings publicly, or that men can be raped and shouldn't be laughed at for claiming that they were, or that they can, indeed, be victims of domestic violence and that they shouldn't be expected to just "deal with it" because they're men.

I don't believe in concepts like forced parity in the parliament or shoving women into prestigious business positions just so that there are some women on important meetings. I know that biologically, statistically, whatever, the average male will be more dominant and career-driven than the average female, and that the average female will be more likely to want to work with small kids or be a stay at home parent. Thus I would never expect nor want to live in a world where we force a situation where people are unhappy and unable to chase their dreams because we so desperately tried to make them fit their lifestyles into political correctness.

For me, however, feminism (or the general strive for equality) is about noticing that people are not ultimately defined by their sex. Sure, more blokes will be happy to pursue a military career and more will be able to physically withstand it. But there are physically weak men and there are pacifist men who wouldn't ever want to be soldiers - and there are some strong women who would be at their best in the military/police force etc. I don't like the fact that we are brought up to think that a woman has to be and certainly is weak, peaceful, delicate, brittle, compassionate, and a man is a warrior, a conqueror, a protector.
Smash Bandicoot
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by queen-bee)
Men are already privileged so I see no need for a new movement
We are absolutely in the Middle East and I support feminism there but institutionally there's not much privilege left in the West aside from internalised and media perpetiated misogyny. In terms of legal equality we are equals in fact thw court is biased against.men in many cases for reasons e.g. divorce. The reasons being mostly unfair pazriarchal stereotypes e.g. men are all rapists. Moreover patriarchy does not benefit men who are deemed other by it eg effeminate men, the LGBT community, any man faoling to fulfil certain gender roles eg disabled, mentally ill, autistic etc. My highest hopes for Western feminism lie in HeforShe
queen-bee
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Birkenhead)
'In power' -what does this mean? If you are referring to positions at the top of politics and business, this is because men are overwhelmingly more present in these jobs because they overwhelmingly outnumber women in original applications. It has nothing to do with social prejudice against women. The only prejudice that still exists today is in favour of women and against men -for example, all-women shortlists in parliament which disallow men from standing for election in certain constituencies and thereby give women a patronising leg-up as if to suggest they aren't capable of winning a political election on their own.
It means they are still at the top of their game
queen-bee
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Spetznaaz)
These are a great example of why i'm against feminism (one of many many reasons). They perpetuate this mentality that women are victims at the hands of men who have everything oh so hard and men are privileged and have everything oh so great.

Men don't have life any easier than women. In fact, one could reasonably argue that women have it much easier in a number of respects. Being attractive in either gender makes you far more "privileged" than an unattractive person. In fact, an over weight unattractive girl can make a profile on a dating website for example, and will still have her pick of hundreds of men.

I could go on about aspects where women have it easier, but unlike feminists i don't see life as a "who has it worse" competition.

Fact is, life is hard for both men and women who face different problems. We are all highly privileged compared to those in ****hole countries because we live in the 1st world.
Nice try but men are not oppressed in any way or have any struggles ahead of them.
bittr n swt
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nice try but men are not oppressed in any way or have any struggles ahead of them.
Of course men are oppressed in a few ways. Yes we do have struggles.

E.g divorce settlement is still unfair on men
queen-bee
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bittr n swt)
Of course men are oppressed in a few ways. Yes we do have struggles.

E.g divorce settlement is still unfair on men
That's the only problem every man on here keeps identifying with,other than that,y'all have no obstacles at all
limetang
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You actually believe that?
queen-bee
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by limetang)
You actually believe that?
It's pretty evident
I'm not a feminist in any way but you don't have to be one to know that men will always have the upper hand
bittr n swt
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That's the only problem every man on here keeps identifying with,other than that,y'all have no obstacles at all
Well next time don't say men are not oppressed in ANY way then because I just gave you one example

I bet there's more but can't think of them right now.
limetang
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
We (men) make up the minority of University graduates, we're more likely to be victims of almost all forms of violent crime, we receive harsher sentences for the same crime than women (in fact we've in recent years had a judge tell other judges that they should give women more lenient sentences), we're the majority of suicide victims, we're the majority of the homeless (should I go on?)
queen-bee
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bittr n swt)
Well next time don't say men are not oppressed in ANY way then because I just gave you one example

I bet there's more but can't think of them right now.
That's because there isn't anymore,perhaps?...
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by limetang)
We (men) make up the minority of University graduates, we're more likely to be victims of almost all forms of violent crime, we receive harsher sentences for the same crime than women (in fact we've in recent years had a judge tell other judges that they should give women more lenient sentences), we're the majority of suicide victims, we're the majority of the homeless (should I go on?)
Don't forget that men make up 96% of work place fatalities.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
And have a shorter life expectancy, mainly due to being having more fatalaties to most deadly illnesses, except those that require you to get old of course.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If women are so much worse off, why not list us all these terrible ways in which they're oppressed?
limetang
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
True, and the thing is it's not like expressing these facts in any way diminishes the importance of addressing issues that women come across, but there is this worrying unwillingness to acknowledge that there could even possible be any situation where sexism is working against men, and that it is the job of those of us who claim we're for equality to address this.
queen-bee
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
And have a shorter life expectancy, mainly due to being having more fatalaties to most deadly illnesses, except those that require you to get old of course.
Having a shorter life expectancy is not something you can really complain to women about,it's just the way you were built.
queen-bee
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
We are the majority of the victims of sexual/physical abuse,then there's the pay gap issue,men being much more preferable in terms of an open position(at work) etc
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Having a shorter life expectancy is not something you can really complain to women about,it's just the way you were built.
Yet childbirth and the consequences of are, apparently, something that you complain about. Also note that some of it comes as a consequence of work, again, something that is complained about for good positions but not crap ones when men are in the majority.
queen-bee
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yet childbirth and the consequences of are, apparently, something that you complain about. Also note that some of it comes as a consequence of work, again, something that is complained about for good positions but not crap ones when men are in the majority.
Most men are in top positions,most women aren't
limetang
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Most men are in top positions,most women aren't
Well that's not true. Most men and most women are in non-top positions due to such positions being much more common.

Well, unless you count the patriarchy meetings we go to where we all smoke fine cigars and drink port, but you're not meant to know about that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.87%
No (515)
72.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise