Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! So glad I found people actually talking about the school direct route!! I've been offered a place for SD in Liverpool for primary 😄 had such a good experience at interview and can't wait to start training!! 😆😆😆😆

ReputationRep:
    Hi Katie, is your school direct place through LJMU? If so I have a place there too, although I will be based at a school on the Wirral. Congrats on your place!x

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's through LJMU! My lead school is Matthew Arnold! Is yours pensby? One of my friends has got a place there. Do you have to attend the summer school at ljmu last week of August? .. Congrats to you too. It's such a relief!! X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine25)
    Hi Emma! I've private messaged you..how did your interview go? I'm going to guess you've already had your interview already wish I had seen this earlier. I had my interview with learners first 2 weeks ago, got an offer and accepted xx
    Hi!

Yes it went really great, i got my offer through today
    Do you have any idea what the Sheffield Hallam skills tests are they're talking about? I'm worried that they're going to ask us to go in like next week to do them I haven't even started practice for the skills tests and i really need the revision time haha!

Congrats!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmahaller)
    Hi!

Yes it went really great, i got my offer through today
    Do you have any idea what the Sheffield Hallam skills tests are they're talking about? I'm worried that they're going to ask us to go in like next week to do them I haven't even started practice for the skills tests and i really need the revision time haha!

Congrats!
    Hi! Aw congrats! Glad to have found someone else who's doing learners first exciting..Ive done the test already for another interview with Sheffield Hallam there nothing to be worried about, I've got do them again tho it's just a maths test about 20 questions and then an English test to assess your writing and spelling x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine25)
    Hi! Aw congrats! Glad to have found someone else who's doing learners first exciting..Ive done the test already for another interview with Sheffield Hallam there nothing to be worried about, I've got do them again tho it's just a maths test about 20 questions and then an English test to assess your writing and spelling x
    yeah! I'm getting excited now haha! and as for the tests it's actually my spelling I'm worried about! haha I'm working in a primary school at the minute, its pretty normal for the children to just check in a dictionary which is brilliant but I'm constantly having to check my spelling before I write anything on the board or in their work haha Was the maths tests pretty easy? I haven't even booked my skills tests yet! gah! so much to do still x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmahaller)
    yeah! I'm getting excited now haha! and as for the tests it's actually my spelling I'm worried about! haha I'm working in a primary school at the minute, its pretty normal for the children to just check in a dictionary which is brilliant but I'm constantly having to check my spelling before I write anything on the board or in their work haha Was the maths tests pretty easy? I haven't even booked my skills tests yet! gah! so much to do still x
    They do exactly the same in the school I'm in its all checked in a dictionary if there unsure of the spelling. I had mine booked for January at Sheffield but had to cancel them as I had the learners first interview the same day, couldn't get another booking until 17th March now and have to go to Leeds to do it as sheffield was booked up..so I'd defiantly have a look at Leeds they have onsite parking too which is good I would revise upto gcse level for the maths xx

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    was wondering if anyone can help? I have an interview and been asked to prepare a 10 minute story sharing session for 7 and 8 year olds, it has completely thrown me I think I've just panicked, can anyone tell me what they want us to do? We can choose the book

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone. I have just found this thread (in fact this website) whilst trying to gather information for QTS so I thought I would introduce myself.
    I am a mature applicant and things have moved quickly for me. After gaining my degree in November I applied through UCAS in December for PGCE Primary at Durham Uni and a School's Direct Placement in the North East. I started volunteering one day a week two weeks ago in one of the Schools involved in my School'd Direct Consortium. Following interviews in January they also offered me a place on their Schools Direct Course which I accepted (it offers PGCE through Durham Uni anyway so I cancelled my interview at Durham Uni).
    My next step is to pass the QTS test. Whilst not normally nervous about things like this, on this occasion I am petrified as it means so much to me. Test booked for March.
    Good luck to everyone and I look forward to sharing experiences.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations on getting a place!

I have just received an email for an interview for the Nottinghamshire Torch SCITT. I'm applying for Secondary History but have absolutely no idea what to expect from the interview.

Can you help at all?! Anything would be amazing.

Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, just joined because I saw this thread and it's the first I've seen people talking about schools direct
    I'm making a fairly late application, applying on the 16th when one of the schools I want to apply to opens.

Currently writing my personal statement and I've got my skills tests booked for May!

I'm applying for primary in the west midlands, Coventry, Rugby and Birmingham. (Newman, Warwick and BCU as accrediting universities respectively)

I will be finishing my English degree in May, and I wasn't going to apply this year until I spoke to my career advisor who said just go for it since there are still vacancies!

My only issue is that although I have three months volunteering experience I don't have any teaching experience even just leading a class, will this put me at a disadvantage? I'm so scared of bitten off more than I can chew :s

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have any teaching experience but got a conditional offer subjrct to suitable classroom experience in coming months. I now volunteer at a school but don't teach lessons. Just in class to offer support to teachers and the children. I am a mature apllicant and have alot of experience working with and motivating adults though. However, I'm sure there are alot of recent graduates who apply with limitec experience. You have nothing to loose applying this year. Im sure you will be fine, however if there isn't zny places for yoh this year it will be valuable experience for next year . excuse typing...oon tablet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxTraceyxx)
    I didn't have any teaching experience but got a conditional offer subjrct to suitable classroom experience in coming months. I now volunteer at a school but don't teach lessons. Just in class to offer support to teachers and the children. I am a mature apllicant and have alot of experience working with and motivating adults though. However, I'm sure there are alot of recent graduates who apply with limitec experience. You have nothing to loose applying this year. Im sure you will be fine, however if there isn't zny places for yoh this year it will be valuable experience for next year . excuse typing...oon tablet.
    Thanks I've worked as a support worker with lots of training including some stuff with children, so I guess those are transferable skills I just have to sell myself in the personal statement now. Exactly, even if I don't succeed this year I will definitely apply again next year!
    Once I finish uni in May I can volunteer again so that will help. Are you doing primary or secondary?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, everybody! I got offered a School Direct Primary (unsalaried) place in January. I am also a mature applicant, gaining my degree with the OU. I have been working in the Insurance industry for many years and so this is a huge step for me. My interview day involved a 15-20 minute teach, a literacy task, watching a video and reflecting upon the contents and then a panel interview. Very intense! I have been volunteering in a school 1 day a week since March last year, which I really enjoy.

I passed my skills tests the week after my interview. I am now just waiting for the forms to get my fitness to teach and DBS clearance.

Good luck to everybody going for interviews! For those who have already been offered places, congratulations. September cannot come soon enough!

ReputationRep:
    Hey All!

I'm starting an Unsalaried SD place in Richmond in Sept (English Secondary). I've been trying to find information on how the course is laid out, what a typical day might look like, assessment criteria etc? Do SD students have coursework? Can anyone point me to the specifics of the course?

Thanks in advance!
    Hannah

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I'm so glad I found this thread I've only just found out that this route into teaching existed, and I'm struggling to find information on it.

I was wondering what qualification you need before starting this course. I currently have a level three in early years and I'm doing my HND in Advanced Practice in Working with Children and Families (such a mouthful :laugh:)

Is a level five qualification high enough to start off on this course or will I have to complete anything else first?
    Any information will be greatly appreciated, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadow-girl)
    Hi everyone!

I'm so glad I found this thread I've only just found out that this route into teaching existed, and I'm struggling to find information on it.

I was wondering what qualification you need before starting this course. I currently have a level three in early years and I'm doing my HND in Advanced Practice in Working with Children and Families (such a mouthful :laugh:)

Is a level five qualification high enough to start off on this course or will I have to complete anything else first?
    Any information will be greatly appreciated, thank you
    I'm pretty sure you need a degree to teach!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iloveunicorns)
    I'm pretty sure you need a degree to teach!
    Thanks for the information!

The way I read it, it would top up my HND to a full degree as well as gaining a QTS, but the information I found wasn't that clear so I'm sooo confused I'm going to speak to the course leader and see what information she has haha

ReputationRep:
    I needed a 2.1 or above Honours degree for my SD course.

ReputationRep:
    I have only just found this thread...have up to now been posting on the PGCE thread.
    I am starting unsalaried SD in sep. I am doing primary early years (3-7) with Warrington Teaching Schools Alliance. Got the place in nov after I applied as soon as places opened! Went to an open day last week where we got to look round 4 of the schools involved, meet current SD students, ask the heads questions and establish things in our heads a bit more! We will find out our home school in july. I can't wait x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.