Would you support reversible sterilisation at birth? Watch

Poll: Having read the proposal, my position is thus:
I would support such a proposal (14)
31.82%
I would not support such a proposal (30)
68.18%
Darkphilosopher
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Birkenhead)
This is ridiculous. Helpless dependent children deserve certain standards of care more than adults deserve any right to reproduce simply for the sake of it.
Children that don't even exist deserve more rights than adults? Why should a government be able to take away a human's natural function in order to protect something that doesn't exist?

Under current human rights legislation here and internationally, reproduction is not a right of any kind and nor should it be.
It isn't however restricted in the western world either.

Prevention is better than cure. The way social services tackle abuse and neglect is often extremely limited or entirely misguided - remember cases like Baby P? This would cost less and be more effective. It also isn't limited to serious abuse and neglect but anything that is likely to fall below a certain expected standard of emotional and financial nourishment.
If this is the case then would you also support laws that incarcerate people that could potentially commit a crime upon assumed guilt? This goes against the very premise of our law system and would also violate a human right. [Op. cit. Universal Declaration of Human Rights, article 11]

Where do you get this idea from? Child abuse and neglect, poor parenting, broken homes, financial undersupply are all much, much more prevalent than you think.
And what would you define as poor parenting and broken homes?
Should a couple be made redudant, would their child be removed because of "financial undersupply"?
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Obiejess)
This proposal gives the state power over autonomy. No-one should be forced to submit to any procedure performed on their body.

I would instead try and prevent bad parenting in a different way. Compulsory psychotherapy for everyone 14+ until the therapist deems they have resolved their issues. This would obviously mean much tighter regulations for therapists too. This means no-one passes on the consequences of their childhood abuse to their kids, as they have already dealt with it in therapy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They actually did an experiment like this - regular psychotherapy and family therapy for all participants all throughout childhood then independent assessment at 18. The result was far more psychological and diagnosable psychiatric conditions than the control group.
Obiejess
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
They actually did an experiment like this - regular psychotherapy and family therapy for all participants all throughout childhood then independent assessment at 18. The result was far more psychological and diagnosable psychiatric conditions than the control group.
That's because often family therapy breaks apart the family unit. Individual psychotherapy works much better in adulthood.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (69)
19.66%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (144)
41.03%
Nope, not that interesting (138)
39.32%

Watched Threads