Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Feeling accepted in Britain (for ethnic minorities) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jedanselemyia)
    Thine friend is right: it's hard for Muslims here.
    On a lighter note, I see more and more mixed couples and kids in France. Although that's not going to stop racism. I laugh when people say mixing is going to stop racism: being half white did not prevent me from being insulted by white people lol

The average white and uneducated working class man (think EDL types and small towners) can be a complete ****ing moron. My mother used to receive so much flak for being with a minority man when she was younger. It was even worse back then, it was like an insult to these men that she would want to start a family with a minority man. So therefore, I have never really identified with the average working class white man on the street (the edl looking types).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Was the service in Arabic or English?
    English, Coptic, and Arabic, pm me if you have any qs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronical)
    English, Coptic, and Arabic, pm me if you have any qs
    I hope to go anytime soon with my best friend,if he's still willing

ReputationRep:
    I hope to go anytime soon with my best friend,if he's still willing
    Let me know when you were thinking, and if I'm not at uni, I'd be more than willing to point things out etc. Do you speak Arabic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronical)
    Let me know when you were thinking, and if I'm not at uni, I'd be more than willing to point things out etc. Do you speak Arabic?
    Ofcourse I speak Arabic

ReputationRep:
    You have a valid point,not even education can change racism
    Exactly! So what can?...
    Ah, questions, questions.

ReputationRep:
    I spent my childhood in Delhi and then I came here when I was 6 and 11 years on, I still feel British

ReputationRep:
    Exactly! So what can?...
    Ah, questions, questions.
    Nothing habibti

ReputationRep:
    You should be ok. I wouldn't have nothing against you, as you've said you follow a similar culture and as long as your beliefs are compatible with the rest then you're not a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    The average white and uneducated working class man (think EDL types and small towners) can be a complete ****ing moron. My mother used to receive so much flak for being with a minority man when she was younger. It was even worse back then, it was like an insult to these men that she would want to start a family with a minority man. So therefore, I have never really identified with the average working class white man on the street (the edl looking types).
    We have these type of people in large quantities in France, unfortunately.

And you're right, there's this weird "they're stealing our women" mentality going on.

I assume you don't identify with your white side (are you mixed?) either. However, don't you feel a bit guilty about it? I know I kind of do.

ReputationRep:

And you're right, there's this weird "they're stealing our women" mentality going on.

I assume you don't identify with your white side (are you mixed?) either. However, don't you feel a bit guilty about it? I know I kind of do.
    Have you see the film,La haine? It's epic

ReputationRep:
    Nothing habibti
    Only for now I hope.

(Calling me habibti was nice )

ReputationRep:
    Only for now I hope.

(Calling me habibti was nice )
    I bet everyone in France says it too

ReputationRep:
    So today,I went out to the pharmacy to get some essentials etc and as I was walking back home I came across two guys who seemed to look normal at first sight. One of them then just suddenly came up to me and started asking questions about where i'm from and then went on to insult my background after I told him I was part middle eastern and part italian. He also blamed 'my people' for the Paris attack today and was rambling on and on,bearing in my mind this was in a shop and everyone could hear and see the harsh racist comments he was making. He said stuff like 'oh you will never be british,no matter what you or you people do to try to fit in'...
    so after I left the store and got home, I started thinking further about what he was saying. I mean I may have been born here but I don't even feel british at all! I've never dated a fully british guy for this reason I guess. I mean, I follow a similar culture(drinking,partying,how I dress etc) but will ethnic minorities ever be accepted into british society?! Do those on this forum who were born into ethnic families feel like they are accepted or do you still feel like an outsider?

My mother always told me from Birth just to accept my country of origin (Nigeria) as British people will never accept me or consider me as one of them. Honestly it just makes thing easier.

ReputationRep:
    Have you see the film,La haine? It's epic
    I have, yes!
    It is epic, I agree. Although a bit old, it's sooo informative on French minorities Still relevant today

ReputationRep:
    I have, yes!
    It is epic, I agree. Although a bit old, it's sooo informative on French minorities Still relevant today
    Exactly,you have the Arab,the black and your average french national, but I honestly learnt a lot from that movie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    My mother always told me from Birth just to accept my country of origin (Nigeria) as British people will never accept me or consider me as one of them. Honestly it just makes thing easier.
    Where are you from?

ReputationRep:
    I bet everyone in France says it too
    Not really, actually!
    Well, not to me. But my friends that hail from Arabic countries do, between themselves

ReputationRep:
    Thankfully you don't hear to much of this where I live (as far as i know as I am white British), due to the fact that I live near a military base, which has a Nepalese regiment there, so foreign people are very common, but I do know that in this problem is huge in villages especially in the Scottish Highlands (a black person can walk into a store up and everyone would just stare because they very rarely see one). In fact I hear it all the time, about how terrible Muslims are when I go up there. I think it is mostly due to the fear of the unknown/misconceptions about the entire population/*******s being *******s

ReputationRep:

I do identify with the white side, but obviously of a certain social class and political/social beliefs.
    I have no doubts that we mixed kids are a representation of 'race traitors', especially sour if the woman is the white partner in the parenthood. My mother used to get dirty looks when she was pushing a pram with me in it with my father. So I am not surprised that this is much worse in France which is way behind the UK even on these matters.

The way I see it is this for when we grow up: if we're good looking men and women we are objectified and seen as sex objects and desirable. If we are not then we are the example (to those edl type idiots) of a failed and disgusting union that should not have happened in the first place.

As I said on PM to queen-bee :

Background in France is that Muslims/Arabs are treated like **** at the bottom of their shoes. A lot of these guys are young and angry with no prospects. Stuck in the suburbs called the banlieue and persecuted with no chance of social mobility. Marie Le Pen of the French Nazi part (Front National) is very very popular in France and if i recall correctly her father finished second in the presidential elections next to Sarkozy. So, obviously, their country, is thoroughly racist. On top of this their religion gets regularly humiliated by the media establishment and they do not stop. So, persecution, bullying, humiliation. Al Qaeda take it too far, but to them the French had declared ideological war anyway. So, to them it is war. And now to the French it is war.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.