Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you go travelling alone? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Travelling alone is fun. Sometimes I just wanna go away to escape from people, not have to take them with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiLearner)
    Would you go on a city break or any other short trip by yourself if you had a few days spare?

I've been debating this as I have some time off. But I can't see myself enjoying it personally. Travelling for me has always been about sharing the experience with people. I like sightseeing with friends and discussing things. Conversation with people I know over dinner. Plus I am quite an anxious person, so I imagine I would feel a bit on edge throughout.
    yeh reading these posts are brillant great thread.Im sure Il visit more places on my own as I get older.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Yes I would travel alone
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Definitely!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dani California)
    Doing it this year, can not wait!! Anyone wants to meet me in Germany...
    Yes please, hihihi.

Cousin lives in Munich .

ReputationRep:
    Would you go on a city break or any other short trip by yourself if you had a few days spare?

I've been debating this as I have some time off. But I can't see myself enjoying it personally. Travelling for me has always been about sharing the experience with people. I like sightseeing with friends and discussing things. Conversation with people I know over dinner. Plus I am quite an anxious person, so I imagine I would feel a bit on edge throughout.
    No. I'd never go anywhere alone that is far away. Unless it was for business but then I'd imagine I'd be with a business...team or...whatever they're called. However, I like to do my own thing but I have a way of dragging people with me lmao. Not like a kidnapper just like..."no, it'll be fun, I promise."

I mean it's not only weird, it's dangerous. Especially for places where I want to go.

ReputationRep:
    I have wanted to go on a short break a couple of times, but my family don’t want me to by myself as I am a petite female so they fear bonkersness. I am however planning a short two or three day break for my 22nd bday I want to be by myself and enjoy the p and q for a couple of days, I just wont go as far as I first wanted.

ReputationRep:
    I don't always travel, but when I do.

I travel alone.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on how strong you are.

ReputationRep:
    To anyone who has been solo travelling: how much did you prepare for it? and how much money did you bring with you?

I would love to just get a one way flight to Thailand the day I graduate, but not sure how realistic that is! I would be especially interested to hear from people who worked/volunteered along the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dani California)
    Doing it this year, can not wait!! Anyone wants to meet me in Germany...
    Wilkommen nach Deutschland , i'm here now on my gap year, well on the German/Swiss border. Bodensee/Lake Konstanz Where abouts you going? You will have a ball.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antoniaotter)
    Wilkommen nach Deutschland , i'm here now on my gap year, well on the German/Swiss border. Bodensee/Lake Konstanz Where abouts you going? You will have a ball.
    I lived in Konstanz last year for my year abroad! Such a beautiful place What are you doing there?

ReputationRep:
    It's gorgeous aint it! I'm au pairing! having the bestest time, met so many people! Theres quite a lot of erasmus here as well this year, it's great

ReputationRep:
    I have done this twice for extended periods, and have really enjoyed it. I think it's something people should do even just to see if you like it. You learn a lot about yourself, and it's a good challenge to see how independent you really are.

ReputationRep:

I went travelling on mine own 2 summers ago. I am Welsh and went to Sweden, so not far away really but far enough. Was the best experience of my entire life Was a bit daunting but isn't everything in life?

I met so many new people. BUT you have to make sure you are staying in safe places. I planned out my journey before hand, read up on reviews of B&Bs etc. Don't just walk up to a random one and check in (maybe that's just my fear from watching Hostel as a young boy) lol.

ReputationRep:

I have traveled all over Europe on my own and i find no problem with it. Then again, As a Photographer alot of the time its easier to do it alone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou 22)
    I have wanted to go on a short break a couple of times, but my family don’t want me to by myself as I am a petite female so they fear bonkersness. I am however planning a short two or three day break for my 22nd bday I want to be by myself and enjoy the p and q for a couple of days, I just wont go as far as I first wanted.
    In most places in the world you won't be any less safe than you are at home, and as long as you use common sense, in terms of your chosen location, and the precautions you take once you're there, you need never be unsafe. Good for you booking something anyway, but don't let them put you off going on longer trips, have a look at these;

http://www.adventurouskate.com/
    http://www.journeywoman.com/SoloTravel/SoloIndex.htm

These girls go everywhere, they're so inspiring and give loads of good advice about travelling alone whilst female.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antoniaotter)
    You having a good time? Starting in Berlin, seeing where I end up. Already been once, absolutely loved the place, i'd love to live there someday.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am this summer.

I think it will be better alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    In most places in the world you won't be any less safe than you are at home, and as long as you use common sense, in terms of your chosen location, and the precautions you take once you're there, you need never be unsafe. Good for you booking something anyway, but don't let them put you off going on longer trips, have a look at these;

http://www.adventurouskate.com/
    http://www.journeywoman.com/SoloTravel/SoloIndex.htm

These girls go everywhere, they're so inspiring and give loads of good advice about travelling alone whilst female.

Thank you chick, the only thing is they are older than me by a few years.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.