The Student Room Group

Have the Charlie Hebdo terrorists won?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scrotgrot
No, we shouldn't: they're not the state's to mourn, that's a job for their families.

The state's job is to subdue, arrest and charge the people who did it.

If, due to the fact that the criminals are armed and dangerous, the "subdue" stage must escalate into killing, so be it. But it is not an act of war to be celebrated with triumphalism, it's an act which a free and fair justice system performs dispassionately, and as a last resort.

well im celebrating their deaths (the terrorists that is). may they burn in hell. im gonna go watch the video where one of them tries to escape, but GIGN shoots him to death......then carry on shooting him. damn that must have hurt:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: i hope it hurt ALOT
Didn't Hebdo just print another cartoon?
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
Didn't Hebdo just print another cartoon?

and sky news refused to show it because they support terrorism
Original post by ESPORTIVA
and sky news refused to show it because they support terrorism

But wasn't that always the case before the Hebdo attack? I don't see what has really changed. The outlets that wouldn't print such stuff still don't and the one that did still does.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
But wasn't that always the case before the Hebdo attack? I don't see what has really changed. The outlets that wouldn't print such stuff still don't and the one that did still does.

yeah student room liberals support terrorism too. if i post a pic of moohamed here i would be hunted down and beheaded.........by the mods
Yes, they have won.
well im celebrating their deaths (the terrorists that is). may they burn in hell. im gonna go watch the video where one of them tries to escape, but GIGN shoots him to death......then carry on shooting him. damn that must have hurt:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: i hope it hurt ALOT

What if they are now in heaven and we are the ones going to hell?
Original post by clh_hilary
What if they are now in heaven and we are the ones going to hell?

thats what liberals want
Original post by clh_hilary
Yes, they have won.

This is what Liberals want!!
Ordinary Muslims/those from particular countries who this effects the most have lost - now subject to greater racism and also caught in the middle between racists and extremists.

Doesn't really effect the ordinary person, with everyone jumping on the bandwagon and instead of focusing on the terror, they focus on the 'freedom of speech' myth nonsense. This leads to further alienisation, which is the main reason for home-grown terrorism, further intensifying the problem. Not sure why it's so difficult for people to understand.
yeah student room liberals support terrorism too. if i post a pic of moohamed here i would be hunted down and beheaded.........by the mods

Why would you want to put it up, other than to insult people? Therefore, it's hate speech, not just freedom of speech. People have the right to believe or not to believe as long as long as it doesn't infringe on your rights. Insulting 1.6 billion people, of which less than 0.0001% are extreme and 99% of that in Muslim countries themselves (largely due to Western foreign policy), is more than harsh. It leads to more racism, which leads to more alienisation, which leads of more terrorism, which leads to more racism, which leads to more alienisation, and round we have gone through the last 15 years to now where the greatest threat is from home-grown terrorism with foreign policy such as Iraq (1 million war dead and the birth of ISIS) leading to further issues.
(edited 9 years ago)

Ahh just do it, the mods are ****ing fannies. I get warnings and bans all the time but they're never permanent.
Original post by Lady Comstock
Their aim, or at least a primary aim, was to scare journalists into refraining from publishing images of Muhammad, or indeed blasphemous content. It was a case of: "see what happens if you publish this stuff".

Not one mainstream British publication published the images (overtly) in solidarity with Charlie Hebdo. The Guardian admitted that it does not want to publish the images full stop.

And I bet journalists will now be even more cautious about publishing such images in future.

I appreciate that people don't want to put their lives at risk, but it is a huge shame that it's possible that the terrorists' goal was achieved. Had all publications published the images, fanatics would not have enough resources to target each publisher.

In 2009 a cartoonist from Charlie Hebdo was fired for drawing an 'anti-semitic' cartoon. At the same time as the British and Israeli leaders were marching for freedom of speech in France, an Israeli politician was calling for a Liberal Democrat MP to be sacked due to a tweet made about Palestine. In France and Germany they both have laws against Holocaust denial based on the offensiveness to relatives of Holocaust survivors. Now the last one I can sort of sympathize with, but my point is that if this really is just about freedom of speech as it is currently being framed as, then the Charlie Hebdo terrorists won many years before they had even concocted their plans.

A few weeks ago, Mario Balotelli was punished for tweeting a picture that insulted many nationalities and Judaism based on ethnic stereo-types, and was also subject to public outrage. Yet when a Danish newspaper prints a picture of Muhammed with a bomb as a turban, somehow Muslims don't have a right to be offended?

Lets take the situation as it really is, namely two adults with no place in a system, desperately clutching at straws to give their life some meaning and purpose and finding the allure of some 'crusade against the infidels' too appealing to turn down. In doing so they disregard all other teachings of Islam regarding peace, mercy, compassion, charity etc in order focus on the violent religious duty side because that side appeals to their anger more. They then go out and murder innocent people.

These people should be thought of as murderers and their victims grieved for. Framing this in some wider context as an assault on our principles of free speech is absolute crap. As I have already mentioned, if the current situation really represents western interpretation of freedom of expression then all that phrase really means is protecting one formerly persecuted group from even the most vague elements of verbal offense, whilst simultaneously doing everything in ones power to offend a group that is currently going through similar undercurrents of persecution.

Yeah, that's probably the sort of thing al-Qaeda members do with videos of 9/11. Nothing to brag about, you should take a long hard look at yourself.
Original post by castlemadeofsand
In 2009 a cartoonist from Charlie Hebdo was fired for drawing an 'anti-semitic' cartoon. At the same time as the British and Israeli leaders were marching for freedom of speech in France, an Israeli politician was calling for a Liberal Democrat MP to be sacked due to a tweet made about Palestine. In France and Germany they both have laws against Holocaust denial based on the offensiveness to relatives of Holocaust survivors. Now the last one I can sort of sympathize with, but my point is that if this really is just about freedom of speech as it is currently being framed as, then the Charlie Hebdo terrorists won many years before they had even concocted their plans.

A few weeks ago, Mario Balotelli was punished for tweeting a picture that insulted many nationalities and Judaism based on ethnic stereo-types, and was also subject to public outrage. Yet when a Danish newspaper prints a picture of Muhammed with a bomb as a turban, somehow Muslims don't have a right to be offended?

Lets take the situation as it really is, namely two adults with no place in a system, desperately clutching at straws to give their life some meaning and purpose and finding the allure of some 'crusade against the infidels' too appealing to turn down. In doing so they disregard all other teachings of Islam regarding peace, mercy, compassion, charity etc in order focus on the violent religious duty side because that side appeals to their anger more. They then go out and murder innocent people.

These people should be thought of as murderers and their victims grieved for. Framing this in some wider context as an assault on our principles of free speech is absolute crap. As I have already mentioned, if the current situation really represents western interpretation of freedom of expression then all that phrase really means is protecting one formerly persecuted group from even the most vague elements of verbal offense, whilst simultaneously doing everything in ones power to offend a group that is currently going through similar undercurrents of persecution.

Nail hit very firmly on the head.

This is not including MPs such as Yasmin Qureshi and numerous others who get placed on anti-Jewish watch sites without doing anything remotely controversial. That in itself is a form of terrorism.

And just to think that today I got moderated and a warning for saying that claiming 'you are Charlie Hebdo' arguably means you're racist, unless you're just jumping on the bandwagon, in which case it's pure ignorance which so many people have been guilty of with the hashtag. In the same thread people were claiming MPs were only in their roles because of them being black and/or female yet nothing happened. Absolutely ridiculous.

Clearly, Europe still has far-right tendencies, despite what we get taught about in almost every history lesson in school. And to be honest, I've been quite disappointed in our own country with our lack of critical thought about the situation. Although this may largely be in the less-educated bracket, but even so and more due to ignorance/jumping on the bandwagon without thinking about it.

The murders should be condemned, but don't bring this freedom of speech nonsense into it with the blatant double standards. This is going to fuel more young, angry ethnics into causing trouble due to the fact they are treated like non-entities.
Yeah, that's probably the sort of thing al-Qaeda members do with videos of 9/11. Nothing to brag about, you should take a long hard look at yourself.

I've done nothing wrong. I haven't killed anyone because they offended me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ZolaCFC25
Why would you want to put it up, other than to insult people? Therefore, it's hate speech, not just freedom of speech. People have the right to believe or not to believe as long as long as it doesn't infringe on your rights. Insulting 1.6 billion people, of which less than 0.0001% are extreme and 99% of that in Muslim countries themselves (largely due to Western foreign policy), is more than harsh. It leads to more racism, which leads to more alienisation, which leads of more terrorism, which leads to more racism, which leads to more alienisation, and round we have gone through the last 15 years to now where the greatest threat is from home-grown terrorism with foreign policy such as Iraq (1 million war dead and the birth of ISIS) leading to further issues.

Freedom of speech is freedom of speech is freedom of speech is freedom of speech.

You either have complete freedom of speech or none at all. You can't pick and choose.

What's offensive to Muslims is not offensive to me. You are the kinda terrorist supporting liberal I was talking about earlier.

You probably believe the Charlie Hebdo deserved it. After all the showed a picture of mooohammud

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh yeah did you guys know moohammud is in every south park episode!!!

He's in the opening sequence.

Watch out guys

If the religion of pieces hears of this someone's gonna get killed over this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stop crying man. Go mourn your beloved terrorists if you want, but don't make me do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've done nothing wrong. I haven't killed anyone because they offended me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Setting the bar high then

Quick Reply

Latest