Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The system is an absolute joke.
    I have just checked my BARSAS application and oddly it says that my references were sent on 14th Jan too. I think this is more than likely a date a few were sent out and not the actual date of application as my application was in 24 hours before the original deadline.
    Have emailed my top two providers to be sure on the clearing issue so will see what they say.

ReputationRep:
    Have already received an email response from my first choice provider.
    Apparently they cannot see my application and as such it is in the second round. I did everything I assumed to be correct, application in on time for original deadline, references submitted well within the two weeks etc yet it made no difference.
    Essentially a reference needed to be in before the closing date, probably my own stupid fault for misinterpreting...
    Looks like I am waiting until clearing now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sar2004)
    Have already received an email response from my first choice provider.
    Apparently they cannot see my application and as such it is in the second round. I did everything I assumed to be correct, application in on time for original deadline, references submitted well within the two weeks etc yet it made no difference.
    Essentially a reference needed to be in before the closing date, probably my own stupid fault for misinterpreting...
    Looks like I am waiting until clearing now
    But here's the problem - everything on the BarSAS website suggests that there is no deadline for references. In fact, it is expressly stated in s.3 of their Applicant Guide, which is what caught me out.

Make sure you send a complaint to them at technical(at)barsas(dot)com

It may be that if they get enough complaints on this issue, they might actually do something about it (doubtful though)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyLaw23)
    But here's the problem - everything on the BarSAS website suggests that there is no deadline for references. In fact, it is expressly stated in s.3 of their Applicant Guide, which is what caught me out.

Make sure you send a complaint to them at technical(at)barsas(dot)com

It may be that if they get enough complaints on this issue, they might actually do something about it (doubtful though)
    I believed the deadline was within two weeks of the application for some reason.
    Anyway this is very strange, been emailed back by the provider who was looking into my issue. They can see me now so I am with them for first round fortunately...I wonder if this is some odd system glitch.

ReputationRep:
    It's my impression that I must be in the first round, because I have an appointment for an assessment at UoL, I'm presuming that this is also the case for City and BPP. But to make sure I'm going to email them to check - I'll post the outcome of that.

ReputationRep:
    I just took a look at my applications on the BarSAS site, what they all say is:

"Application Status: Application pending decision"

I don't know if that helps anyone out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sar2004)
    I believed the deadline was within two weeks of the application for some reason.
    Anyway this is very strange, been emailed back by the provider who was looking into my issue. They can see me now so I am with them for first round fortunately...I wonder if this is some odd system glitch.
    Hmm... maybe I should call them back tomorrow to check again for mine. Which provider was it?

(Original post by typonaut)
    I just took a look at my applications on the BarSAS site, what they all say is:

"Application Status: Application pending decision"

I don't know if that helps anyone out.
    Mine says the same, and the dates re when to expect offers are the ones for 1st round as well, weirdly.

Considering you've been contacted about attending the selection event(s) though, it's probably safe to say your app has definitely gone through.

ReputationRep:
    Hi LadyLaw23 - MMU Manchester

ReputationRep:
    I got an email from City, confirming that as far as they were concerned my application was in the first round. I did finish the BarSAS application on the 9th Jan, before the weekend crash, but I'm fairly certain that none of the references were in before the 14th.

ReputationRep:
    [COLOR=rgb(8.630000%, 41.200000%, 5.490000%)]3. Referencesinsupportoftheapplicat ion[/COLOR]

1. a) There is no official deadline for the submission of references however applicants shouldadvise their referees to submit their references as soon as possible. In the first round,applications will not become visible to Providers unless at least ONE of the references hasbeen attached.
    2. b) If a reference has not been received two weeks after the applicant has submitted theirapplication, an automated email will be sent to the nominated referees. Applicants are stillencouraged to check on the status of their application and see if both references havebeen supplied.
    3. c) If an applicant has continued problems securing a reference, the referee can be replacedwith an alternative.
    4. d) Academic references are preferable to personal references and at least one must beacademic.

ReputationRep:
    Did you guys get this email:

Your application to the first round of Barsas system has been successfully submitted.

Your application is being processed and no further action is required from yourself.

Any emails you have sent to technical support will not be responded to on the basis
    that you have successfully submitted and will hear in due course.

Kind regards

BarSAS Team
    Bar Student Application Service

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kellie1988)
    Your application to the first round of Barsas system has been successfully submitted…
    Yes, but that was in response to a query about what was supposed to be going on, why my referees had not been contacted. So this reply did not really give any confidence on the matter (because it did not address my question).

I take it that other people are now getting some feedback, I've received various emails from UoL and BPP (nothing from City, though they have confirmed I'm in the first round).

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Ok well that didn't work - one of my references say n/a under reference submitted? Anyone else have that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kellie1988)
    Ok well that didn't work - one of my references say n/a under reference submitted? Anyone else have that?
    No, I have the same date for each one (I know it didn't happen like that, but that's what's listed).

ReputationRep:
    Eugh this system is crazy - both my refs say they have sent their references online. Yes I have the date 21 Jan 2015 for one and n/a for the other. Have sent 2 emails to Barsas and heard nothing :-(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyLaw23)
    WTF?!?!?! Just got off the phone with BPP and apparently any applications where the references were submitted after the APPLICATION deadline have gone into clearing instead of first round!!!!!!

Except the BarSAS guidelines specifically say "There is NO OFFICIAL DEADLINE for the submission of references..." (own emphasis). My first one was submitted about 8-9 days after the application deadline, the 2nd on the 27th Jan. The Guide also says that applications will become "visible" to providers once the 1st reference is submitted, which seems to completely suggest that the application is valid, and simply 'invisible' until refs are received.

Anyone know what the complaints procedure is? No info at all on the BarSAS site, so I'm assuming the BSB?

Edit: Just confirmed this with Uni of Law as well. It's official. Just sent a complaint in to the BarSAS email as well. Anyone else in this position, check with your providers ASAP as they may or may not have received your application.
    Really? I don't understand this. You are in the first round now though aren't you? This is so wrong - Barsas must have made a mistake on your application.

ReputationRep:
    My refs were submitted 23rd Jan. I was over in BPP Manchester two weeks ago for a mock Inns interview and they told me they'd read and received my application (able to quote specifics about some of the info on it too). Don't fret too much

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick FYI UoL just sent me an automatic confirmation of my application. If anyone is concerned about their app still and did apply to them, be on the lookout, as this may mean you can rest a bit easier about being in the 1st round of consideration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monokurobuu)
    Just a quick FYI UoL just sent me an automatic confirmation of my application. If anyone is concerned about their app still and did apply to them, be on the lookout, as this may mean you can rest a bit easier about being in the 1st round of consideration.
    If you only just got a confirmation from UoL I'd be worried, because they held their assessment days three weeks ago.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.