The Student Room Group

Why do Nigerians have a bad reputation?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mick.w
Well something I've noticed about Nigerians is they have quite an uncompassionate culture.
There's not a lot of sympathy for the weak, the poor or anything like that. They have a very snobbish view. Not only this I've noticed they don't really have a lot of respect for art. Everything is about money money money. and they seem to mimic the worst american ideals. Like those of the jocks and "mean girl" types.

something I've noticed about nigerians though is that they often care more about their reputation than actually whats right and wrong.

Like there was recently a video of a baby being abused by a nanny in nigeria.
there was public outcry not for the baby. but because it was apparently "making nigerians look bad"

This is what I've heard about them, being materialistic people.
But is it part of their culture since a long time or since colonisation?

I guess they feel a bit touchy now since they apparently have a bad reputation.
Reply 61
Original post by GailQ
Actually, at the rate things are going, they'll become an Islamic state in shorter time (since their government don't seem to be batting an eyelid).

LOL. Boko Haram are not seeing the wealth of Nigeria EVER. They have yet to even attempt an assault on any of the major cities. I mean If they ever do (which they won't), then we'll talk. Otherwise, they are just as real as Kony for all anyone cares.

General scamming and the pants bomber I'd say...
Reply 63
Original post by Truths
LOL. Boko Haram are not seeing the wealth of Nigeria EVER. They have yet to even attempt an assault on any of the major cities. I mean If they ever do (which they won't), then we'll talk. Otherwise, they are just as real as Kony for all anyone cares.

So are you going to wait till they attack a major city before you acknowledge the threat that Boko Haram pose?
Just think of the children,men and women that have been slaughtered so far.
If I was living in Nigeria now, I will pretty worried and I definitely won't wait for them to attack my city before I pack my bags!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by lamipe
So are you going to wait till they attack a major city before you acknowledge the threat that Boko Haram pose?
Just think of the children,men and women that have been slaughtered so far.
If I was living in Nigeria now, I will pretty worried and I definitely won't wait for them to attack my city before I pack my bags!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. I'm saying that Boko Haram have zero chance of conquering Nigeria as the previous poster had implied.
Becuase they always promise to triple my money to a $10000000 jackpot if I supply Mr Babatunde with my credit card details. They never follow through either :frown:
Reply 66
Original post by Truths
Nigeria is the most developed country in Africa. South Africa is close second but outside of Johannesburg, it's full of shanties. They have reason to be cocky if you ask me.
Libya, Morocco, South Africa, Kenya, Egypt and others we well ahead of Nigeria, but that was some years ago.
Reply 67
Original post by Truths
Right! I was only made aware of this apparent insecurity quite recently aamof. It's probably because Nigeria is the wealthiest country in Africa. Competition is all well and good tho, but give credit where it is due. You must appreciate their larger than life attitudes, because their blind optimism has clearly led to great results thus far. The country is developing at a remarkable rate. I admire their ethos. N.G.A N.G.A!

Except they cant even be bothered to retrieve their own girls... horrible country
Reply 68
Nigerians have a bad reptuation but i'm not going to mention whats been said here already (obviously scams, fake passports, My auntie is currently doing one and im tempted to tell uk border force :biggrin:....)

There attitude stinks, the way nigerians treats their kids with discipline, its HARD to explain to an nigerian to **** off. they then start shouting in pidgin english (nigerian accent). Their problem is, in that country, everyone is two-faced.

When i was in nigeria, i felt like an immigrant, they just talk behind your back and treat you like ****... Beware if your a rich white boy, because nigerians will be jealous of you will scam what you have.

I can just keep on ranting and ranting, I just hate how they pretend to be christians or muslims as well... When they ARE SWEARING AND INSULTING YOU BEHIND THEIR BACK. I just ****ing hate my own country.

I'm glad to be british, If i had lived in nigeria and came to uk at 18, i would be a scammer, an armed robber and having fake passport and faking marriages with white women..
Reply 69
Original post by Mick.w
Well something I've noticed about Nigerians is they have quite an uncompassionate culture.
There's not a lot of sympathy for the weak, the poor or anything like that. They have a very snobbish view. Not only this I've noticed they don't really have a lot of respect for art. Everything is about money money money. and they seem to mimic the worst american ideals. Like those of the jocks and "mean girl" types.

something I've noticed about nigerians though is that they often care more about their reputation than actually whats right and wrong.

Like there was recently a video of a baby being abused by a nanny in nigeria.
there was public outcry not for the baby. but because it was apparently "making nigerians look bad"

Preach it brother, i'm nigerian and this is 100% truth (you've described my family's traits)
Original post by Borgia
No it wasn't. Ask any other African. Nigerians got their reputation from shady business dealings and their reputation for arrogance among other African nations.

If there is one thing we have learned in the few years, it’s that white people are capable of losing trillion of dollars in the global economic meltdown, due to derivatives. Do you even know what a derivates is ? Don’t worry the white people who lost money did not know either. They are bets on bets (Basically)…taking a bet on whether this or that bet is going to win.

12 trillion dollars wiped from USA economy because of the actions of a very narrow elite

Now I’m not saying that it was because they were white that they did it, but you better believe that’s that what would have been said had they been black.

Black Nigerians can’t steal that kinda money. Yet your more worried about few Nigerian’s scammers than the actions of people who can and do actually cause damage
Original post by O.Ozz
Nigerians have a bad reptuation but i'm not going to mention whats been said here already (obviously scams, fake passports, My auntie is currently doing one and im tempted to tell uk border force :biggrin:....)

There attitude stinks, the way nigerians treats their kids with discipline, its HARD to explain to an nigerian to **** off. they then start shouting in pidgin english (nigerian accent). Their problem is, in that country, everyone is two-faced.

When i was in nigeria, i felt like an immigrant, they just talk behind your back and treat you like ****... Beware if your a rich white boy, because nigerians will be jealous of you will scam what you have.

I can just keep on ranting and ranting, I just hate how they pretend to be christians or muslims as well... When they ARE SWEARING AND INSULTING YOU BEHIND THEIR BACK. I just ****ing hate my own country.

I'm glad to be british, If i had lived in nigeria and came to uk at 18, i would be a scammer, an armed robber and having fake passport and faking marriages with white women..

There's this thing with immigrant families where the people you hate the most are those from the motherland :biggrin:

My mum's side are the same with Gambians.
Although I'd say Gambian men are the 1st in faking relationships with desperate white women :biggrin:
Reply 73
Original post by jedanselemyia
This is what I've heard about them, being materialistic people.
But is it part of their culture since a long time or since colonisation?

I guess they feel a bit touchy now since they apparently have a bad reputation.

That's hard to say.

I think sadly Nigeria is so corrupt and so violent that anyone artistic or philosophical is murdered. take Fela Kuti for example.

So I'd say its probably a post colonial issue combined with perhaps already existing culture.

Of course you also get cultural variations largely between different groups like hausa, yuroba, igbo and others. Certainly I've noticed yuroba tend to be the most snobbish whereas igbo tend to be a bit more philosophical. Certainly what i've been told in terms of tribal gossip is that yoruba are the sneaky ones that play off igbo vs hausa against eachother. or that after igbo put the most pressure on the british to leave the igbo then jumped into the throne of power as soon as the british left. as i said all of this is very much gossip and worth little.

but really i put it down to corruption and violence.

When you see nigerias neighbour Ghana and the vast difference between them you can see that Ghana was always more of a foot hold for african intellectualism and this has been allowed due to for the most part. its lack of violence. despite corruption and coup's there has very rarely been breakouts of violence. But then again also tribally I believe the tribes are less contrasting. It all seems very confusing but it seems like the majority of tribes in Ghana like Fante or Ashanti all originally came from the Akkan. Whereas the Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo of Nigeria have very contrasting roots.

I think theres also a lot to be said about immigration.

for the most part the nigerians we are getting in the uk are from affluent backgrounds or as refugees. so some of these have been very cut throat about getting here to the uk and have beg borrowed and stolen from many to fuel their trip. most of the people they will have exploited along the way will have been fellow nigerians. so i think the nicer nigerians of moral character who still posses the resolve and have the luck to find their way to the uk are going to be a lot rarer.

then the affluent nigerians. I mean any affluent people from a corrupt society are going to have achieved their affluence through corruption and exploitation of those around them.
I met the daughter of a ex military leader turned property developer who had made his success from a war he was part of where literally the people he had ordered "cleared" from a village he had bought up the land for cheap after. This was not in africa though. I won't say where. But I think it shows the type of stuff that can go on in war torn nations.

then you have political refugees which is very much rarer. again I new a girl whos father was murdered in nigeria. He took his family over here to the uk as refugees. once they were safe he went back to nigeria to continue his politcal works and campaigns.
sadly he was of course murdered by the government. however i was very surprised by my friends reaction. she basically didn't care about what her father was fighting for.

so it strikes me that maybe many nigerians have quite literally given up on making nigeria a better place and just focus on "getting theirs". that maybe nigeria is such a lost cause that its not even worth the effort to try and fix it or indeed care about it.
Reply 74
I bloody love Nwankwo Kanu personally.
Original post by Mackay
I bloody love Nwankwo Kanu personally.

No problem lol :smile:
I'm really not trying to make a sweeping statement about Nigerians but rather understand why they have this "reputation".
Posted from TSR Mobile

Considering Development indexes depend on the governments of the respective countries to supply the data which may be flawed or inaccurate, I take your index you listed with a pinch of salt. Nigeria would have been Africa's largest economy for some time but the Nigerian government gave insufficient data.
Original post by Mick.w
That's hard to say.

I think sadly Nigeria is so corrupt and so violent that anyone artistic or philosophical is murdered. take Fela Kuti for example.

So I'd say its probably a post colonial issue combined with perhaps already existing culture.

Of course you also get cultural variations largely between different groups like hausa, yuroba, igbo and others. Certainly I've noticed yuroba tend to be the most snobbish whereas igbo tend to be a bit more philosophical. Certainly what i've been told in terms of tribal gossip is that yoruba are the sneaky ones that play off igbo vs hausa against eachother. or that after igbo put the most pressure on the british to leave the igbo then jumped into the throne of power as soon as the british left. as i said all of this is very much gossip and worth little.

but really i put it down to corruption and violence.

When you see nigerias neighbour Ghana and the vast difference between them you can see that Ghana was always more of a foot hold for african intellectualism and this has been allowed due to for the most part. its lack of violence. despite corruption and coup's there has very rarely been breakouts of violence. But then again also tribally I believe the tribes are less contrasting. It all seems very confusing but it seems like the majority of tribes in Ghana like Fante or Ashanti all originally came from the Akkan. Whereas the Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo of Nigeria have very contrasting roots.

I think theres also a lot to be said about immigration.

for the most part the nigerians we are getting in the uk are from affluent backgrounds or as refugees. so some of these have been very cut throat about getting here to the uk and have beg borrowed and stolen from many to fuel their trip. most of the people they will have exploited along the way will have been fellow nigerians. so i think the nicer nigerians of moral character who still posses the resolve and have the luck to find their way to the uk are going to be a lot rarer.

then the affluent nigerians. I mean any affluent people from a corrupt society are going to have achieved their affluence through corruption and exploitation of those around them.
I met the daughter of a ex military leader turned property developer who had made his success from a war he was part of where literally the people he had ordered "cleared" from a village he had bought up the land for cheap after. This was not in africa though. I won't say where. But I think it shows the type of stuff that can go on in war torn nations.

then you have political refugees which is very much rarer. again I new a girl whos father was murdered in nigeria. He took his family over here to the uk as refugees. once they were safe he went back to nigeria to continue his politcal works and campaigns.
sadly he was of course murdered by the government. however i was very surprised by my friends reaction. she basically didn't care about what her father was fighting for.

so it strikes me that maybe many nigerians have quite literally given up on making nigeria a better place and just focus on "getting theirs". that maybe nigeria is such a lost cause that its not even worth the effort to try and fix it or indeed care about it.

^ this
so much valuable info, thank you :smile:

It seems to come down to tribes a lot. Hm. But again, it really depends on the area. Gambia doesn't have that much ethnic tension.

This is all really sad. :frown:
(Are you from Nigerian descent?)
Reply 78
Original post by jedanselemyia
^ this
so much valuable info, thank you :smile:

It seems to come down to tribes a lot. Hm. But again, it really depends on the area. Gambia doesn't have that much ethnic tension.

This is all really sad. :frown:
(Are you from Nigerian descent?)

Glad its helped.

The Gambia seems really cool I'd love to visit there. I especially love the fact that its called THE Gambia. Like if I was from there and anybody called it Gambia i'd have tot stop them be like "no... its THE Gambia..."

but yea no I'm not Nigerian or of Nigerian descent. I dated a half Nigerian girl and have had few Nigerian friends and at one point was very close with a group of Nigerian guys and we used to go out clubbing. But they were very rare, they were kinda... 2 of them were hardened "area boys" and despite the fact that many would look down on them as immoral for that back ground, they actually seemed very humble and empathetic. We would have big long talks about Nigeria its history, politics and current state. It seemed to be that while they may have been "bad" due to being area boys that they actually provided a lot of service to the community and when they were exploiting the community often did so at the behest of some one rich and often more immoral. It seems that they were able to see the damage that was being done on the bottom but also the corruption and moral depravity reigning down from the powers above. And they had sincere regret about the bad stuff they had done. But they were in the UK for a reason and that was to make an organization that could help back home but base it over here that would be safe from governmental attack in Nigeria. Really cool guys its a shame I lost contact with them.

But yea they were mainly Igbo descent but the whole group was mixed.

I myself am Irish but as Ireland used to be a British colony (some would argue still is). I'm fascinated by ex-colonial nations. I think all ex-colonial nations should study each other to see what works and what doesn't.
Its difficult to start a brand new nation from scratch after all. Especially when its a government model given to you by your ex-colonial masters in the first place.

But I also had a particular interest in Nigeria due to the Biafra conflict. Many of the inhabitants of Biafra (most of them Igbo) were catholic and Ireland sent I think the most support out of any other country at the time and the leader of the Biafran republic thanked Ireland for their support. But many of refugees from there came to Ireland. They actually seemlessly integrated too. There was only tension in the 2000s when the next wave of Nigerian immigrants came who were from the whole "identity theft" generation.
Original post by Mick.w
Glad its helped.

The Gambia seems really cool I'd love to visit there. I especially love the fact that its called THE Gambia. Like if I was from there and anybody called it Gambia i'd have tot stop them be like "no... its THE Gambia..."

but yea no I'm not Nigerian or of Nigerian descent. I dated a half Nigerian girl and have had few Nigerian friends and at one point was very close with a group of Nigerian guys and we used to go out clubbing. But they were very rare, they were kinda... 2 of them were hardened "area boys" and despite the fact that many would look down on them as immoral for that back ground, they actually seemed very humble and empathetic. We would have big long talks about Nigeria its history, politics and current state. It seemed to be that while they may have been "bad" due to being area boys that they actually provided a lot of service to the community and when they were exploiting the community often did so at the behest of some one rich and often more immoral. It seems that they were able to see the damage that was being done on the bottom but also the corruption and moral depravity reigning down from the powers above. And they had sincere regret about the bad stuff they had done. But they were in the UK for a reason and that was to make an organization that could help back home but base it over here that would be safe from governmental attack in Nigeria. Really cool guys its a shame I lost contact with them.

But yea they were mainly Igbo descent but the whole group was mixed.

I myself am Irish but as Ireland used to be a British colony (some would argue still is). I'm fascinated by ex-colonial nations. I think all ex-colonial nations should study each other to see what works and what doesn't.
Its difficult to start a brand new nation from scratch after all. Especially when its a government model given to you by your ex-colonial masters in the first place.

But I also had a particular interest in Nigeria due to the Biafra conflict. Many of the inhabitants of Biafra (most of them Igbo) were catholic and Ireland sent I think the most support out of any other country at the time and the leader of the Biafran republic thanked Ireland for their support. But many of refugees from there came to Ireland. They actually seemlessly integrated too. There was only tension in the 2000s when the next wave of Nigerian immigrants came who were from the whole "identity theft" generation.

Haha it may be the smallest country in Africa and it may lack ressources but THE Gambia :biggrin:
You definitely should! I haven't been there yet but it's peaceful and cool :smile:

Definitely! I'm trying to get more knowledgable on Africa, before and after colonialism because although I'm really passionate about those issues, I end sounding really emotional and angry and not giving substancial elements.
It's great that you actually "get it" :smile:
There was a guy in my class who said that African countries should have stayed under British rule because it better way... :frown:

Yeah, there are tensions between different waves of African immigrants. My family actually despises Gambians that have only come recently, and doesn't want to frequent them. But you know, when my Grandpa came it was "easier", people were wanted for jobs and there were no communities then so you had to "integrate" (which meant not teaching Wolof to my mum and her brothers and sisters...). So maybe they feel a sense of entitlement?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending