Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryDn)
    Yeah make up looks quite art-ish TBH

I've seen make up "before and afters," but I dont think it can necessarily make a huge huge difference. My brother used to do theatre and even with full make up on he still looked largely similar. Idk much about it though
    There are some make-up artists that are really into the whole transformation thing. Some of them are really good into transforming themselves into guys too.

Here's a link if you're super interested in it. http://thechive.com/2013/06/19/amazi...ons-28-photos/

There's also a niche of make-up artists on tumblr that do it too, but they don't seem to be the majority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kurofune)
    There are some make-up artists that are really into the whole transformation thing. Some of them are really good into transforming themselves into guys too.

Here's a link if you're super interested in it. http://thechive.com/2013/06/19/amazi...ons-28-photos/

There's also a niche of make-up artists on tumblr that do it too, but they don't seem to be the majority.
    Thanks! Wow shes good Do people need to use special stuff to do that, or can they just do it with normal cosmetics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dani California)
    This. One of my pals wears blue lipstick everyday, it's beyond weird/awesome/creepy/hella cool.
    That's so cool! I don't think I could pull that off though. Bonus points when the packaging for makeup looks good. Urban Outfitters sells Tony Moly products now (idk if they include lip gloss, but they sell the hand cream in the US) and the packaging is seriously cute!!!!!!! Japanese/Korean cosmetics have the cutest packaging too.

(Original post by HarryDn)
    Thanks! Wow shes good Do people need to use special stuff to do that, or can they just do it with normal cosmetics?
    I think you need a LOT of contouring makeup to look like another person, plus a wig. If you wanted to look like a martian with green skin, you'd need special cosmetics that most people don't use (probably have to buy stage makeup.) Basically, you'd need the skills to pull off most of those looks.

ReputationRep:
    sometimes to you and me it's make-up, to her it's a disguise...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macromicro)
    Of course it does! How would you determine if you were attractive or not if you were the only woman on this planet? How would you determine whether you were short or tall, shy or confident? It is all relative.
    No, I carry myself confidently whether the person next to me is hotter or not. I know i'm sassy, I don't care if other people are, and I don't need anyone's validation of it.

I get a sense of happiness, yes, just as you do, just as everyone does, mutatis mutandis. Being attractive to the opposite sex and to your peers is extremely important in society and effects our happiness. That's why those with acne or height issues or weight issues can become severely depressed.
    I don't want to sound like and a$$, but I was brought up on the basis that I don't need validation. I like myself, regardless of whether the rest of the world thinks i'm good looking. And for your information, I have a "height issue", i'm really short. I am not depressed about this. Getting a sense of happiness because someone finds you good looking is just sad. My looks are far from my most endearing quality. [/QUOTE]

I never said it was sexual attractiveness in regards to friends as that would defy the definition of just a friend. I'm not shallow, I'm honest. Most people lie to themselves and live in self-delusion, too scared to admit the truth behind their actions.
    You sure? If it looks shallow, it sounds shallow, it probably is. You seem scared to live without the acceptance of others.
    [/QUOTE]

As for that last sentence, in my previous post I said I don't believe most girls put on lipstick or a pair of shoes with the sole intention of being chatted up, I agree. What I did say is that their sense of confidence and the reason they choose the things they do is to look attractive, regardless of whether they actually want to attract someone and/or sleep with them.
    That's irrelevant and a strawman argument so please refrain from those as it may cause the discussion to get away from us.
    That's what this whole discussion is about. You think I base my appearance around men, because that's what you do. I base my appearance on what I like, which is probably quite strange to rest of society. I'm not seeking anyone's approval.
    And I'm not sure why you have called me a pseudo-intellectual simply for engaging in debate, but the grammar nazi in me did shiver when I saw you spelt that insult with "you're" not "your"! However you are correct that I want to impress others, as do you, and as does everyone, but again, most will be too deluded and biased to admit that to themselves.
    Because your whole argument is based off of the biology that all humans want to do is mate. If that were the case, we'de be on the same intellectual level as primates.
    And I'm an educated woman, I made a typing mistake in my haste. Be real.
    I have no desire to impress others. It just seems that you're very insecure, and can not fathom that other's are not the same. I know people who are quite the opposite-they dress and appear in a way that society has simply not accepted. They express themselves by being outcasts. They like the way they appear. They, and I, don't care if you don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kurofune)
    That's so cool! I don't think I could pull that off though. Bonus points when the packaging for makeup looks good. Urban Outfitters sells Tony Moly products now (idk if they include lip gloss, but they sell the hand cream in the US) and the packaging is seriously cute!!!!!!! Japanese/Korean cosmetics have the cutest packaging too.
    I mostly use stage make up pallets, I do eye make up mostly. Packaging is boring but there's is nothing better than having yellow eye make up! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Haven't a clue why women wear makeup. You have to get up earlier to put it on. Sleep is so much better than worrying about eyeliner.
    Then again, I am dyspraxic so this makes getting eyeliner on so it matches on both eyes take about half an hour, before then ive given up and washed it all off.

And they wonder why I don't bother.

ReputationRep:
    No, I carry myself confidently whether the person next to me is hotter or not. I know i'm sassy, I don't care if other people are, and I don't need anyone's validation of it.
    Yes you do - your confidence is derived from how you view yourself relative to others not relative to yourself. You described yourself as a narcissist, which would directly support this. Even being sassy can only be relative - if everyone was as sassy as you, you would not call yourself sassy.

I don't want to sound like and a$$, but I was brought up on the basis that I don't need validation. I like myself, regardless of whether the rest of the world thinks i'm good looking. And for your information, I have a "height issue", i'm really short. I am not depressed about this. Getting a sense of happiness because someone finds you good looking is just sad. My looks are far from my most endearing quality.
    Why do you like yourself? If you can explain that without relative terms then I'll believe you.

That's what this whole discussion is about. You think I base my appearance around men, because that's what you do. I base my appearance on what I like, which is probably quite strange to rest of society. I'm not seeking anyone's approval.
    I think you base it on looking attractive to men (and women), not necessarily for men as that implies you are doing them a service, i.e. that you are an object, which is the opposite of what I have said. You base your appearance on your own style and preferences, but you want to look attractive which is approved or disapproved by society.

Because your whole argument is based off of the biology that all humans want to do is mate. If that were the case, we'de be on the same intellectual level as primates.
    You keep using strawmans - I never said that mating is all we want to do (and by the way, humans are primates) because if that were the case we would be extinct. What I have implied is that it is biologically inherent and shows itself in how we choose to appear, i.e. our aim to look attractive, and how we behave, i.e. our focus on family and relationships as central to our existence.

I have no desire to impress others. It just seems that you're very insecure, and can not fathom that other's are not the same. I know people who are quite the opposite-they dress and appear in a way that society has simply not accepted. They express themselves by being outcasts. They like the way they appear. They, and I, don't care if you don't.
    Quite the opposite, it's because I am so secure and honest with myself that I can say things openly and bluntly about myself, while you, and others in this thread, recoil at the truth. Those who act in the opposite ways to social trends are still trying to be attractive - you'll notice that typical outcasts follow a trend of being an outcast, e.g. the gothic culture, and they feel attractive in each other's company. They feel part of a subgroup, a subculture, and feel attractive within this.

ReputationRep:
    It gives a tidier, more polished appearance. Uneven skin, parse/unplucked eyebrows, dry lips etc. all look scruffy on women in the same way a beard can seem that way on men which is why many client-facing roles expect that women wear at least a minimal amount of makeup.

Quite the opposite, it's because I am so secure and honest with myself that I can say things openly and bluntly about myself, while you, and others in this thread, recoil at the truth. Those who act in the opposite ways to social trends are still trying to be attractive - you'll notice that typical outcasts follow a trend of being an outcast, e.g. the gothic culture, and they feel attractive in each other's company. They feel part of a subgroup, a subculture, and feel attractive within this.
    Not so secure if you can't accept that other people may not care for other people's opinions as you do.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the girls on this thread say 'oh I don't wear make up' but you can see from their profile picture they do! It's like a defence and almost a taboo for some to say they wear it- don't quite understand that!

I wear make up most days although I don't wear a lot. It's minimal, basic and how I like it! Foundation, powder, pencil eye liner, light lip stick and mascara. I think if your good at applying make up, a skill I kinda lack in, then girls tend to wear a little bit more. I prefer the more natural look however would be in awe of what some people can do such as contouring etc. Recently I learnt the smokey eye (woohoo) but this is something I would wear only if I'm going out and if I have time- I'm a very late person, usually never have time to put it on!

Not that I am trying to please my boyfriend with how I look, but when he says "you look gorgeous, are you not wearing make up!?", and I'm not, then there is a confidence boost with being called naturally pretty, and this boost I don't feel can be achieved with mounds of make up. I have friends who would wear a substantial amount and I admit I would be jealous as they look gorgeous and I possibly wear slightly more when around them, like winged eye liner for example. Saying that, i am very close to the boys in my house (6 of them) and although looking at photos they would say different girls with make up on are pretty the consistently comment on the make up being plastered on. Also, some people just look ridiculously different without it which is sometimes a shock to see when their natural.

I do believe it's natural instinct to compare yourselves to other girls and try to make yourself more attractive even if you have no intentions, but it is definately nice to be noticed! Ive just learnt through living with boys really that caking yourself in make up doesn't always help in the attraction side of things as they really do see through the mask some girls put on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blaq_widow)
    Not so secure if you can't accept that other people may not care for other people's opinions as you do.
    Everyone cares about the opinions of others, though not everyone is as open, because I am very secure and honest with myself. There is nothing wrong or shallow or taboo with wanting to be attractive or wanting to be impressive or wanting to be liked, though there is a growing culture within the post-modern student arena of pretending not to care about anyone or anything - and it doesn't fool me.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone cares about the opinions of others, though not everyone is as open, because I am very secure and honest with myself. There is nothing wrong or shallow or taboo with wanting to be attractive or wanting to be impressive or wanting to be liked, though there is a growing culture within the post-modern student arena of pretending not to care about anyone or anything - and it doesn't fool me.
    This is not an 'absolute' fact. It is a simplistic and quite frankly uneducated stance to hold, which completely ignores human psychology and the concept of individuality. It depends what said opinions are regarding or who those 'others' are. People can care more about the opinions of their peers compared to their family or care more about opinions on their personality than their looks, for instance. The extent to which people care also varies. A person may care that their teacher only thinks they're capable of a C but it doesn't actually affect them; if it upsets it doesn't mean they will accept that opinion and not try to do better.

Consider that people are rejecting your imposed opinion of them because it is not true. Some girls wear makeup to be attractive, others do not. Do not presume you know what motivates every woman, especially when you are not one.

ReputationRep:
    This is not an 'absolute' fact. It is a simplistic and quite frankly uneducated stance to hold, which completely ignores human psychology and the concept of individuality. It depends what said opinions are regarding or who those 'others' are. People can care more about the opinions of their peers compared to their family or care more about opinions on their personality than their looks, for instance. The extent to which people care also varies. A person may care that their teacher only thinks they're capable of a C but it doesn't actually affect them; if it upsets it doesn't mean they will accept that opinion and not try to do better.
    The extent itself is besides the point - only that there is an extent, always. Some are more honest about that extent than others.

Consider that people are rejecting your imposed opinion of them because it is not true. Some girls wear makeup to be attractive, others do not. Do not presume you know what motivates every woman, especially when you are not one.
    Every woman wears make-up to be attractive. I have proven that in this thread. If you are going to argue to the contrary, then give reasons because an opinion without a reason is but a fart in the wind.

ReputationRep:
    For many reasons. It's a personal choice made for reasons that stem from insecurities to just wanting to look nice.

ReputationRep:

Every woman wears make-up to be attractive. I have proven that in this thread. If you are going to argue to the contrary, then give reasons because an opinion without a reason is but a fart in the wind.
    Not necessarily as I said in my last comment. I've agreed with a lot of what you've said regards to people not being completely honest about how much they value what other people think about them and how they look in comparison to others. Although this could sometimes, for example on a night out, be the case as girls dress up to look good for themselves and to impress others. I usually do wear make up to make myself feel better because I like looking in the mirror to bright skin instead of it looking a little dull. Everyone has a little vanity, eh?

ReputationRep:
    girls wear make up because. they are girls. Simple as that, although I probably can only accept light make up? It is kind of weird that a boy says nice to meet you to his new GF after she has washed her face....

but I was told that if a girl do wear make up, she wont show other people her face without any make up unless it is her family or BF. Is that ture?

ReputationRep:
    The extent itself is besides the point - only that there is an extent, always. Some are more honest about that extent than others.

I disagree. If people cared about other people's opinions all the time there would no wrong doing in this world. Incidently some people literally find other people feeling/opinions etc. completely irrelevant to how they chose to go about their life.

You haven't proven anything, you've just continuously re-asserted your opinion. You can never prove how other people feel by ignoring how they say they feel, you would make a poor researcher :rolleyes:. I don't wear makeup 90% of the time...do you therefore conclude that I don't care about being attractive? Or that I only care 10% of the time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sumnight)

but I was told that if a girl do wear make up, she wont show other people her face without any make up unless it is her family or BF. Is that ture?
    Yes usually! Unless you wear light make up then it's not really a problem as everyone basically sees you as your natural self anyway 😊

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. If people cared about other people's opinions all the time there would no wrong doing in this world. Incidently some people literally find other people feeling/opinions etc. completely irrelevant to how they chose to go about their life.

You haven't proven anything, you've just continuously re-asserted your opinion. You can never prove how other people feel by ignoring how they say they feel, you would make a poor researcher :rolleyes:. I don't wear makeup 90% of the time...do you therefore conclude that I don't care about being attractive? Or that I only care 10% of the time?
    Where did I say "all the time"? Don't use strawman arguments. I also didn't say everyone cares about everyone's opinions, as that would be logistically impossible.

I'm explaining why it is they feel as they do, it is not an opinion and there has been no ignoring, I have read everyone's posts with care, which it seems you haven't of mine. I make a very competent researcher because I am impartial and rational. If you don't wear make-up 90% of the time, then you either feel sufficiently attractive to not wear it but enjoy the added attractiveness in the 10% you do wear it, or you are unhappy about your appearance 90% of the time due to being unattractive relative to society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichelleM96)
    Not necessarily as I said in my last comment. I've agreed with a lot of what you've said regards to people not being completely honest about how much they value what other people think about them and how they look in comparison to others. Although this could sometimes, for example on a night out, be the case as girls dress up to look good for themselves and to impress others. I usually do wear make up to make myself feel better because I like looking in the mirror to bright skin instead of it looking a little dull. Everyone has a little vanity, eh?
    Exactly, you can only feel good for yourself in how you look if you are comparing your attractiveness to others - it's relative, it can never be independent. Picture a person going bald, boils on his face, rotting teeth - unattractive, right? What if this man was the only man on Earth - would he consider himself attractive or unattractive? Neither (or both) - there could be no way for him to conclude either. He is both the most handsome and the ugliest. The concept of attractiveness would be alien to him. Women (and men) feel good when they are dressed up on a night out because they will look attractive relative to their peers and in the eyes of the opposite sex. This gives them confidence and happiness, regardless of whether they want to sleep with them or even talk to them, and this shouldn't be looked down upon - which I'm glad you agree with. It's refreshing to hear honesty instead of "I wear make-up because I like it as it gives me confidence" - that isn't a reason, it's simply a result of the reason, which is attractiveness. I don't understand why people have taken this as an insult. It's quite obvious what the purpose of make-up is for. It's akin to saying I don't put the heating on to increase my body temperature but just to feel good. Why am I feeling good though? Because I'm as snug as a bug in a rug, that's why.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.