Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yes, in the sense that their actions were irresponsible, they knew what they were getting themselves into. However, I do support satire and firmly believe that no idea/belief should ever be above scrutiny.

ReputationRep:
    No.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If they were being disrespectful to islam and use freedom of speech as a reason for doing so, then is being racist ok? if someone made a magazine mocking black people, should it be ok since its freedom of speech?

I dont condone what they did but I wasnt surprised that they were killed.

ReputationRep:
    If you're allowed to post your views here and have them respected, Charlie Hebdo should be able to publish theirs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llpokerll)
    Again, everyone knows that Muslims themselves would never draw pictures or cartoons of their prophet even in a non-mocking way.
    Man someone forgot to tell these guys...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...el_Gabriel.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rt_Project.jpg

http://zombietime.com/mohammed_image...ongsleeves.jpg

..and so on and so on. Folks used to draw him in depictions centuries ago all the time, this whole NEVER DRAW HIM is a more modernist thing.

ReputationRep:
    We have no choice but to have free will. We should have the right to offend.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by umzz)
    Our prophet went through more punishment and torture that you could ever think of and all he done in response was forgive. Islam condemns murder simple as.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is your own belief and you are entitled to it under the protection offered by EU, French and UK law.

Most people in the Western world either:

a) do not share your belief

or

b) refute it outright through their own theistic or atheist world views and the evidence of the unbridled violence shown not only by the Paris killers, but also surpassed in extremity on virtually a daily basis in the name of Islam somewhere in the world.

I am not saying the terrorists must be considered true Muslim, but they proclaim the rights to violence in the name of Islam which gives the religion a PR nightmare and the rest of the free world the justification to defend against them.

Satirical commentary is a powerful ally in the defence of liberty.

People are utterly failing to realise the irony that Charlie Hebdo stands for the liberty and right to have and express an opinion/faith/ideology etc. Included within Charlie Hebdo's values is their fight to uphold the right to practice religion!

Muhammad should be proud of them because they are in essence fighting for him even though they sharply criticise some of his teachings!

Without that liberty, there would be no practice of anything other than that which the state decreed.

For examples of an oppressed society, look to North Korea, increasingly Russia, Saudi Arabia, despotic African states, ISIL, Taliban, Boko Haram and any number of other tyrannical and fanatical regimes.

ReputationRep:
    Some guy I used to know from another forum linked this vile piece he wrote somewhere, expressing support for the Charile Hebdo killings:
    http://www.coalpha.org/Charlie-Hebdo-td7576453.html

And I felt sick to the stomach reading it. There are many people who really do think like that.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    But isnt this all just like Atheists which believe there is no god? they are not murdered because they go against a religion

Normal Muslims state terrorists are not Muslims, but how if they are all following the same book?

ReputationRep:
    well they knew what they were doing, however no one should be killed for criticizing anything let alone religion
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Mequa)
    Some guy I used to know from another forum linked this vile piece he wrote somewhere, expressing support for the Charile Hebdo killings:
    http://www.coalpha.org/Charlie-Hebdo-td7576453.html

And I felt sick to the stomach reading it. There are many people who really do think like that.
    Hmmmm. I think you missed the satire in his rather obvious jibe at the apparent hypocrisy of some people who claim to uphold liberal-democracy.

He is making the point that people get offended by things that do not agree with their own world view and he does this rather cleverly by attacking liberals in the same way they are claiming to defend.

Any liberal that is offended is, in his view, a hypocrite.

I fully understand the intellectualism of his argument and his entitlement to glee even though I find it disturbing that he should find pleasure in the murder of others.

That say's more about his mental state than his attack on the apparent hypocrisy of liberalism.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by #freegaza)
    Absolutely deserved it. !!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Try harder.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    What we're discussing here;

They did something legal so they deserved something illegal.

Is it just me able to see the flaw in this entire discussion? People might irk you at times but that doesnt make it ok to murder them.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else think Charlie Hebdo kinda deserved it?
    Random machine-gunning of a bunch of strangers in a room where someone who once drew a picture may have been at some time?

It is as rational as blowing up the entire street where one of the staff once lived. Or blowing up a bus that one of them sometimes used to go to work.

They deserved it in the same way as your class deserves to be machine-gunned because an ex-student was stitched up by one of the lecturers that was working on that campus last year.

ReputationRep:
    The title is just for the attention, I don't mean LITERALLY deserve (hence the word 'kinda'), read below to see what I meant.

I DON'T CONDONE THE ATTACKS!!!! (Most people don't seem to get my point here)

Tl,dr version:

Charlie Hebdo should've used their minds and known that there are so many extremist Muslims out there and drawing Mohamed cartoons would cause a huge upset, create a lot of hatred and put themselves in danger.

First of all let me make it clear: I'm no terrorist or so, neither am I Muslim. I'm simply just an ordinary normal person trying to look at the situation objectively. I don't think terror is the right answer to anything and what the terrorists did was definitely wrong.

But, my point is that Charlie Hebdo clearly provoked it. I personally don't see what's wrong with cartoons of Mohamed, but everyone (incl CH) knows that doing any such activity would cause a huge upset in the Islamic World. The only reason for them to do it was to upset a huge group of people. And they knew that there are a lot of extremist Muslims out there.

In that situation it's clearly just an absolute dumb thing to publish something like that. It's like a woman in short clothes walking into a male prison without security. She'll most likely get raped in there. Similarly CH provoked the extremist Muslims and provoked this situation.

Does anyone share my views?
    I get your point but I think *their* point was that by not publishing said cartoons they would be letting the terrorists win by showing that you can use fear tactics to silence people. I mean I suppose the thing is that we only hear about the Mohammed cartoons but they said equally defamatory things about the Pope, the President, Israel, etc so they weren't just targeting Muslims.

However, there does need to be a frank conversation about where the line is drawn between slightly too close-to-the-line satire and actual hate-speech.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    What we're discussing here;

They did something legal so they deserved something illegal.

Is it just me able to see the flaw in this entire discussion? People might irk you at times but that doesnt make it ok to murder them.
    Not just you. A lot of people posting in this thread are irked by their perception of the inconsistency with which the law is apparently applied to different religions and minority groups.

That point is contentious and hotly debated which suggests that clarification is needed from the judiciary in one form or another.

The state no longer applies the death penalty in France, Europe or the UK and rightly so.

There is no justification for murder whatsoever and that includes offending people through harsh satirical comment. But as the previous post suggests, there is a fine line between the intent of the law and exploiting its weaknesses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imabigboynow)
    If they were being disrespectful to islam and use freedom of speech as a reason for doing so, then is being racist ok? if someone made a magazine mocking black people, should it be ok since its freedom of speech?

I dont condone what they did but I wasnt surprised that they were killed.
    Being black isn't a choice people are born that way they can't change who they are, Islam however is a belief system and a culture that is entirely man made, criticizing a belief system that is stuck in the middle ages isn't racism. Even if it was "racist" it doesn't mean they should be murdered. All the terrorists did was prove the doubters of Islam completely right.

ReputationRep:
    If people took the approach that we should not say anything negative about religion then we would be handing free reign to religions to govern and shape society. I for one believe in a secular society. If society is secular then basically the infrastructure encourages tolerance and diversity. Sure there are problems but there is usually a higher degree of tolerance in a secular society than in a society where the state dictates individual belief systems.

Another point is that most religions have 'evolved' (some to lesser extent than others), as a result of people being brave enough to challenge and questions ancient doctorines which often fly in the face of modern societal values. If people never questioned religions in fear of upsetting someone then I doubt homosexual people would be allowed to marry, they may even still be being stoned. We might be drowning people to see if they are witches too. Questioning doctorines which seek to govern every facet of our lives is critically important and if religious groups have issues with that then they are the ones with the problem.

If you look at the roll of women in society then this has been inproved through questioning religion. Women have been horribly discriminated against historically under most religions and still are in many. If no questioning of religion was allowed then this would still probably be the case.

Not to mention the fact that if they cannot accept other people's views then they are being intolerant and intolerance of diversity should have no place in our society if we seek to evolve in any kind of utopian direction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    He deserved it as well:

amen to that...

don't forget this little troublemaker:

Name:  AnneFrank.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  34.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    amen to that...

don't forget this little troublemaker:

I didn't bother but I could have made a long list of people "who deserved to die" while fighting for freedom.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.