Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is anyone else utterly disguscted by the people who run the UK? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raymat)
    For future Doctors, Engineers, Teachers, Economists, Technicians etc. They are serving the the public so why shouldn't the public make a small sacrifice for the fate of the country. As ones own child will probably being going university there's no need to think that you are helping only one class move forward when free education can help people of all classes and background to move forward without the problem of debt later. Also additional tax wont put you into a financial crisis. This country offers benefits and you probably don't realise how much people are misusing it.
    So why am I paying for somebody else's education? I don't want to.

Everything you've listed up there can be funded individually.

I have no problem paying for an individual's higher education of they forgo higher wages as a result of that investment.

On the flip side of that. I want to earn more than minimum wage so I'll pay for my own investment.

ReputationRep:
    I would rather be living in England than freezing to death on the Syrian border. Our politicians are the best in the world. Our democracy is the most advanced in the world. Financial troubles caused by greed and materialism are gradually being sorted out.
    I would say that the main problem is the lack of community. Fifty years ago everybody knew their neighbour and would look out for each other. Now people stay in watching telly or reading nonsense on "Social" media.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    So why am I paying for somebody else's education? I don't want to.

Everything you've listed up there can be funded individually.

I have no problem paying for an individual's higher education of they forgo higher wages as a result of that investment.

On the flip side of that. I want to earn more than minimum wage so I'll pay for my own investment.
    It would be great if the government introduced a tuition fee system that charged variable amounts to students based on their financial circumstance. I mean why should a student from a very poor background be made to pay the same amount as a student from a very wealthy background. £9000 a year is quite a burden for the poor family of one student whereas £9000 could be nothing for the wealthy family of another student. The rest of the fees could be payed off by funding but it wont be so much funding that it puts a burden on the funding organisations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raymat)
    It would be great if the government introduced a tuition fee system that charged variable amounts to students based on their financial circumstance. I mean why should a student from a very poor background be made to pay the same amount as a student from a very wealthy background. £9000 a year is quite a burden for the poor family of one student whereas £9000 could be nothing for the wealthy family of another student. The rest of the fees could be payed off by funding but it wont be so much funding that it puts a burden on the funding organisations.
    They had a similar system
    Under the grant system. Kids from very wealthy backgrounds who had divorced parents got full whack.

I came forma single parent family and got a small amount.

Such a system would also have a significant administrative cost associated with it

ReputationRep:
    The OP won't be happy in Denmark.

The UK isn't the ops problem. The op is the ops problems.

Running away from problems very rarely fixes the underlying cause.
    I've got a mortgage free place of my own and future financial security. Not riches, but security. I have it better than many. It's not the point, there are so many other things taking hold. You can only conceive of total self-interest apparently, that's everything that's wrong with this country. If you **** on your own doorstep it will affect you. Problems are going to be everyone's.
    And, again, it's just self-satisfaction, I'm sick of the unquestioning and conservative attitude to England that is omnipresent, when so many things that are pernicious, ruinous even, are taking place. Mainly I'm talking about government and intelligence services, and the powers of surveillance being abused to this day. It will only get worse.

And it's ludicrous to suggest that emigration can't change someone's life. It's like saying a plant is the same whatever conditions you put it in. Why did nations evolve different cultures and norms? Because they were founded on different principles. What functions best in one culture is not what does in another. I love England, but I hate the current mentality and what's being done to it. You need perspective outside of the present moment to see it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    I've got a mortgage free place of my own and future financial security. Not riches, but security. I have it better than many. It's not the point, there are so many other things taking hold. You can only conceive of total self-interest apparently, that's everything that's wrong with this country. If you **** on your own doorstep it will affect you. Problems are going to be everyone's.
    And, again, it's just self-satisfaction, I'm sick of the unquestioning and conservative attitude to England that is omnipresent, when so many things that are pernicious, ruinous even, are taking place. Mainly I'm talking about government and intelligence services, and the powers of surveillance being abused to this day. It will only get worse.
    When you say a mortgage free place, do you mean your parents spare bedroom?

You've got some angst there. Government and intelligence services and all. I thought your type had disappeared post 89.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    What Scottish Nationalists seem to want is roughly Denmark. You may not realise but you in fact already have the right to move to, live, and work in Denmark, right now! And you don't even need to learn the language, because they have the best English skills in Europe. What's stopping you?

I think you will find, and probably already know, that the sun does not shine so much more brightly there. Losing the referendum was the best thing that could have happened for the Nats; their utopia remains a shining City On The Hill and not a real place, that has as good a chance of turning into Italy or Greece as Denmark.

Scotland has more of my admiration, certainly historically, than England as a culture. They would have huge potential devolved within a federal UK, they could show the way forward. It has prospects, especially with climate change and overpopulation a problem.

ReputationRep:
    When you say a mortgage free place, do you mean your parents spare bedroom?

You've got some angst there. Government and intelligence services and all. I thought your type had disappeared post 89.
    No, I mean a mortgage free house. Trying to be smug again, but that's the facts, sorry. Patently sticks in the craw. I forgot though, its me that's envious and bitter right?:rolleyes:

Yeah, there's no-one credible saying civil liberties is a problem is there?
    Of course the sheep will never think anything is.

And I'd like you to respond to the added text.

ReputationRep:
    No, I mean a mortgage free house. Patently sticks in the craw. I forgot though, its me that's envious and bitter right?:rolleyes:

Yeah, there's no-one credible saying civil liberties is a problem is there?
    Of course the sheep will never think anything is.
    There's just an awful lot of angst.

It's almost as if you're suffering from paranoia.

ReputationRep:
    There's just an awful lot of angst.

It's almost as if you're suffering from paranoia.
    Stop avoiding all my other points. My 'angst' is because your generation is smug and complacent beyond belief, and are sowing the seeds for the dissolution of this country. They can't see beyond their own nose. They only care about themselves. Even 45% of one of constituent nations wanting to leave doesn't make them wake up, and is taken to be a resounding victory. It's already nearly been torn apart this country, we WILL lose Northern Ireland eventually and don't be surprised if the next generation of Scots vote to be independent.

ReputationRep:
    Stop avoiding all my other points. My 'angst' is because your generation is smug and complacent beyond belief, and are sowing the seeds for the dissolution of this country. They can't see beyond their own nose. They only care about themselves. Even 45% of one of constituent nations wanting to leave doesn't make them wake up, and is taken to be a resounding victory. It's already nearly been torn apart this country, we WILL lose Northern Ireland eventually and don't be surprised if the next generation of Scots vote to be independent.
    My generation?

I was one of the 55% who voted to stay.

It's amazing how easy it is to manipulate some of the electorate with the uncosted lies that the snp
    Made. But I agree. There's a slot of people out there ike you who are angry with their lot in life and believe its governments fault.

You may want to do a little research on NI. Current opinion polling shows support for the UK at very high levels.

How can I not see past my own needs? What should I be caring about in your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    My generation?

I was one of the 55% who voted to stay.

It's amazing how easy it is to manipulate some of the electorate with the uncosted lies that the snp
    Made. But I agree. There's a slot of people out there ike you who are angry with their lot in life and believe its governments fault.

You may want to do a little research on NI. Current opinion polling shows support for the UK at very high levels.

How can I not see past my own needs? What should I be caring about in your opinion?
    I know about the NI polls, but it's ripe for it in the future with the EU, our possible exit and Scottish independence on the table, plus the fact that the influence of the Catholic church in Ireland is declining rapidly and it's becoming secular and more multicultural. I don't care a damn what you think of my opinion, it's more your generation's complacency and lack of interest in the fate of the UK, and indeed in many cases active support for things which are destructive to this country. How can it not be a rabidly self-interested generation? The first in history to be richer than their offspring, retiring on large pensions, students more indebted than ever, house prices more inaccessible to first time buyers than ever. People living of food banks, gated communities, black friday, nhs in crisis.
    Lower social mobility than ever and public school dominance. Blair's claims that he did away with class are laughable. Militant Islam a growing threat within our country, wars that have made us a prime terror threat, which is continually used as a justification for more and more removal of liberties. Europe, and hell, even the NSA is shocked by GCHQ.

ReputationRep:
    I know about the NI polls, but it's ripe for it in the future with the EU, our possible exit and Scottish independence on the table, plus the fact that the influence of the Catholic church in Ireland is declining rapidly and it's becoming secular and more multicultural. I don't care a damn what you think of my opinion, it's more your generation's complacency and lack of interest in the fate of the UK, and indeed in many cases active support for things which are destructive to this country. How can it not be a rabidly self-interested generation? The first in history to be richer than their offspring, retiring on large pensions, students more indebted than ever, house prices more inaccessible to first time buyers than ever. People living of food banks, gated communities, black friday, nhs in crisis.
    Lower social mobility than ever and public school dominance. Blair's claims that he did away with class are laughable. Militant Islam a growing threat within our country, wars that have made us a prime terror threat, which is continually used as a justification for more and more removal of liberties. Europe, and hell, even the NSA is shocked by GCHQ.
    Which generation are you talking about?

You sound like Citizien smith.

But a xenophobic version.

I blame the music industry. They always used to produce bands that could tap into the confused angst of young men and women. The jam, the clash, the specials etc. But who are they now?

I keep hearing about lack of social
    Mobility. It's never stopped me.

ReputationRep:
    I blame the institution of the government and political parties. No individual politicians.

ReputationRep:
    Which generation are you talking about?

You sound like Citizien smith.

But a xenophobic version.
    Wtf? What have I posted that is remotely xenophobic?
    One quote please.

The generation that remember Citizen Smith being on telly.

ReputationRep:

I blame the music industry. They always used to produce bands that could tap into the confused angst of young men and women. The jam, the clash, the specials etc. But who are they now?
    It's why anti-establishment young people now(not many of them) listen to that music still. A lot else just represents the conformist, insipid, soulless and unrebelliousness quality of 21st century Britain.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, as a Scottish person I agree completely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SerLorasTyrell)
    Yes, as a Scottish person I agree completely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    With what specifically?

ReputationRep:
    With what specifically?
    That North sea oil will remains at $113 a barrel.

ReputationRep:
    With what specifically?
    Absolutely everything the original poster said, I feel like I could have almost wrote it myself.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.