Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do so many people have a problem with controlled immigration??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    I see so many people being anti-UKIP, calling them "racist" when their policy is exactly the same as Australia's immigration system- only admit those who can benefit society. Do the Australians get called racist? Nope, so why are UKIP???

Tell me what is wrong with being in charge of who we admit to this country? In fact, I think any body who argues against being in control of your own immigration must have an IQ of 2!
    Because they parrot liberal thinking without actually thinking things through and repeat mantras like "we are all from the human race" and "I buy into diversity as a concept".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Deport to where?
    I dunno, maybe somewhere like Romania, I mean if UKIPers are to be believed it's so backwards and uncivilised there I'm sure they'd love to have a bunch of fat lazy racists come and make sandwiches or whatever for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    And you're still missing the point. We shouldn't base our immigration policy on one of painting a whole people with a broad brush. It should be done on a case-by-case basis - person by person.

If that means that most Romanians end up not getting into the UK, fine; the law-abiding, hard-working ones do. If it means the criminal element in Germany is kept out, fine; the law-abiding, hard-working ones do.

I honestly don't see what your problem with this is.
    I didnt say I have a problem with case-by-case, I have a problem with EU open door and earlier I was just making the point that immigrants from different countries are not equal, the cultures are not equal. Look how much racism there was in the Euro 2012 championships held in Poland and Ukraine, that is their culture. To admit hundreds of thousands of immigrants and think they'll suddenly adopt to our culture is just plain daft.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt say I have a problem with case-by-case, I have a problem with EU open door and earlier I was just making the point that immigrants from different countries are not equal, the cultures are not equal. Look how much racism there was in the Euro 2012 championships held in Poland and Ukraine, that is their culture. To admit hundreds of thousands of immigrants and think they'll suddenly adopt to our culture is just plain daft.
    I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing on a case-by-case basis, we can manage immigration to our benefit while not being racist. You, however, by claiming the cultures are unequal, are consigning swathes of worthy, productive people to rejection from this country simply because of where they are from instead of who they are.

Debate about differences in culture should be irrelevant to who we let in to this country. As long as they have a track record of being law-abiding and productive, I couldn't care if they were from Belarus.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing on a case-by-case basis, we can manage immigration to our benefit while not being racist. You, however, by claiming the cultures are unequal, are consigning swathes of worthy, productive people to rejection from this country simply because of where they are from instead of who they are.

Debate about differences in culture should be irrelevant to who we let in to this country. As long as they have a track record of being law-abiding and productive, I couldn't care if they were from Belarus.
    You don't care what culture people are who we admit to live here?

ReputationRep:
    You don't care what culture people are who we admit to live here?
    Why should I be afraid of them?

Do you think immigration is a new thing? Do you think British culture has remained the same for centuries until immigration 'started' (it never started, it's always happened)

Nothing lasts forever. Cultures are always changing and evolving. It's the rich tapestry of life. A Brit from the 1900s which recognise little of his culture if he looked at Britain today; an 1800s Brit would say the same of 1900s man; and 1700s man would say the same about 1800s.

ReputationRep:
    Why should I be afraid of them?

Do you think immigration is a new thing? Do you think British culture has remained the same for centuries until immigration 'started' (it never started, it's always happened)

Nothing lasts forever. Cultures are always changing and evolving. It's the rich tapestry of life. A Brit from the 1900s which recognise little of his culture if he looked at Britain today; an 1800s Brit would say the same of 1900s man; and 1700s man would say the same about 1800s.
    You think the difference between Britain in 1800 and 1900 is the same as the culture between 1900 and 2000?

How many of the British population were hostile towards Britain in 1900?

Would you call Afro-Carribean immigration to London a success? I wouldnt....... its turned parts of London in to a cesspit. Same with Muslim immigration- places like Tower Hamletts parading the Palestinian or ISIS flag FFS?!

The only successful immigration to this country has been Indian and considering all the bad things we did to their country they really are proud to be British.

ReputationRep:
    You think the difference between Britain in 1800 and 1900 is the same as the culture between 1900 and 2000?
    From the perspective of someone from 1800, absolutely. Almost entirely unrecognisable: the industrial revolution had transformed the landscape, the demographics, the distribution of wealth, and the way the State worked. And it had been a period of considerable immigration.

How many of the British population were hostile towards Britain in 1900?
    Considerably more. Ireland was added to the UK in 1801.

Would you call Afro-Carribean immigration to London a success? I wouldnt.......
    A matter of opinion, really, but it's less to do with their 'culture' and more to do with how shoddily they've been treated.

its turned parts of London in to a cesspit. Same with Muslim immigration- places like Tower Hamletts parading the Palestinian or ISIS flag FFS?!
    All of those places were already 'cesspits' before they went there. They were directed to the delapidated parts as nobody wanted them in the nice areas.In fact, they are considerably nicer than ever. Not perfect, but it's feasible for a woman to walk alone at night in Whitechapel now (not recommended, but feasible).

The only successful immigration to this country has been Indian and considering all the bad things we did to their country they really are proud to be British.
    Even then, this is a matter of opinion. There's enormous racist hostility still to Indians. The average racist has little patience to differentiate between Indians and (so-called) 'Pakis'.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.