Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is £100k a year really that much of a salary nowadays? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryDn)
    what should i say to the girl i dun goofed when I met her with on Saturday?
    "Can I re-roll?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    "Can I re-roll?"
    Srs

"is 100k poverty time?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    you'll be horrified at how a salary like that effectively goes nowhere, even worse if you decide to have kids.

I have to disagree here.

Most people don't earn anywhere near £100k and have a fantastic life.

ReputationRep:
    £100,000 salary is a very good salary under the following conditions:
    - You own a house
    - You live outside London & the South East

Otherwise, you'll be horrified at how a salary like that effectively goes nowhere, even worse if you decide to have kids.

Unfortunately £100,000 salary would only get you an exceptionally small and modest house in London and the South East.

I worked out recently where I live in Surrey I'd need to earn a minimum £55,000 a year to get a mortgage for an entry level property (1 bedroom). So you can imagine how much you have to earn for a family home - it's well into six figures.

Problem is, what jobs pay that outside that area? You also have to remember that after tax, £100,000 is more like less than £65,000.

However, according to statistics it does place you in the top 2-3% of earners in the country and solidly in the top 1% globally.

If someone said to me they earn £100,000 I'd think good for you but I wouldn't consider them well off or rich, far from it. I know people in London who genuinely struggle with a family on that salary and it scares me.
    great answer, + repped

By going nowhere else where do you mean not being enough to get a house with then?

And do those people have it as a combined salary or 1 earner?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Balloon Baboon)
    I have to disagree here.

...Because they already have a mortgage/house and don't pay extortionate rents.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ...Because they already have a mortgage/house and don't pay extortionate rents.

Posted from TSR Mobile

£100k outside London you're laughing. I pay £400 a month for my martgage and that's on a 4 bedroom house.

London is just overpriced. Shame really as I love London.

ReputationRep:
    London to 'outsiders'.

Name:  image_thumb[9].png
Views: 432
Size:  316.9 KB

London to 'Londonners'

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  195.3 KB

OP, come off it. £100k is by no means an average salary in any country, or in any city, anywhere on planet Earth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VannR)
    London to 'outsiders'.

London to 'Londonners'

OP, come off it. £100k is by no means an average salary in any country, or in any city, anywhere on planet Earth.
    what do you earn?

ReputationRep:
    what do you earn?
    I'm an A-Level student; not that it really has any effect on the reality of average salaries in London, though.

ReputationRep:
    Eh it's better than being butty boss down at Subway at 35 eh? LOL

ReputationRep:
    great answer, + repped

By going nowhere else where do you mean not being enough to get a house with then?

And do those people have it as a combined salary or 1 earner?
    I mean, sure on £100,000 you can rent somewhere reasonable (not as much as you'd expect though).

Problem with London is, even a three bedroom house costs about £500,000 so as a first time buyer you'd need a deposit of at least £50,000 (hence why most people move out and commute and thus trains are horrendously overcrowded in certain places at certain times).

People I know have it as a combined salary. I'm aware one certain American bank recently in London was forced to increase salaries because their employees were complaining about housing costs - not sure whether they were genuine or just wanted a higher salary though, haha.

Let's be real, house prices have gone up 20% in London, salaries have not.

On £100,000, once you've got a mortgage paid off (or mostly) you suddenly find a dramatic increase in your disposable income. In London, it's normal for over 40% of your salary to go in housing costs, at least from my experience; depends on circumstances.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VannR)
    I'm an A-Level student; not that it really has any effect on the reality of average salaries in London, though.
    Thought so.

ReputationRep:
    As a single guy in the South East, living alone in a flat, my outgoings were around 800 a month before food in a modest flat in Canterbury. That's pretty standard here, I can only imagine it being at least 1.5x that for an okay area of London.

Some basic maths:
    At 35k a year, you get 2,200 a month after tax
    Take away 800 rent/bills
    Take away 150 food/sundries
    Take away 100 clothes
    Take away 150 petrol/mot/tax/servicing for a modest commute in a frugal vehicle

You're left with 1,000 a month. Which is a decent disposable income. Oh except that the average price of a pint is 4.50. A meal in an average (non chain, but not fine dining) restaurant is 30-35 for two courses. Cinema, bowling, snooker etc all work out to around 8 quid per hour.

If you scale that up to having 2-3 kids, living in London and paying a 2,000-2,500 a month mortgage or rent, paying 250 on clothes, 500 on food/sundries and then adding the extra charges of living in the capital, you are left with a much lower proportion of your wage disposable.

I think it's a good wage, but dependent on the area you live in, it's by no means amazing. If I earned 100k and had the same circumstances as I do now, I'd be chuffed. Flip the circumstances and the money, not so much.

ReputationRep:
    Thought so.
    What do you earn, Harry?

ReputationRep:
    Thought so.

How old are you by the way?

ReputationRep:
    I mean, sure on £100,000 you can rent somewhere reasonable (not as much as you'd expect though).

Problem with London is, even a three bedroom house costs about £500,000 so as a first time buyer you'd need a deposit of at least £50,000 (hence why most people move out and commute and thus trains are horrendously overcrowded in certain places at certain times).

People I know have it as a combined salary. I'm aware one certain American bank recently in London was forced to increase salaries because their employees were complaining about housing costs - not sure whether they were genuine or just wanted a higher salary though, haha.

Let's be real, house prices have gone up 20% in London, salaries have not.

On £100,000, once you've got a mortgage paid off (or mostly) you suddenly find a dramatic increase in your disposable income. In London, it's normal for over 40% of your salary to go in housing costs, at least from my experience; depends on circumstances.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To add, if you move outside of London, even only a little bit you then get thrashed with horrendous transport costs (car insurance is also much higher here).

For example, Zone 1-6 Season ticket I believe is around £3,000 I think? It's a lot whatever it is, haha. That's a 25 minute journey on a semi-fast train.

Recent train fare increases:

- Off-Peak Kids Zone 1-6: 50% increase.
    - Off-Peak Adult Zone 1-6: 35% increase.

Thankfully, they had mercy and only increased on-peak by 2.5%.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    OP, what's your salary/job ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To upper middle class Londoners is it excellent?
    It's good salary then; maybe excellent was a bit of an overstatement on my part.

ReputationRep:
    It's not necessarily a lot in London as you still wouldn't be able to buy a nice house but it is everywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Balloon Baboon)
    I have to disagree here.

once you have kids it doesn't go far, my dad earns over 100k and I don't consider myself rich (don't go to private school ect)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.