Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think Nigel Farage is xenophobic and/or racist? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HigherMinion)
    My, that is mightily presumptuous, Mr Care Bear.

I offended a black South African once by requesting to be referred to as "sir or master". Should we ban the word "master"? Young males in the UK grow up as masters. However, to claim every black man would be offended by the word "nigg3r" is preposterous. Although you would claim those who aren't offended are internalising racism, or something.
    Are you from the past?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Farage makes up a statistic about Romanians to try and create fear and hostility https://fullfact.org/factchecks/roma...ne_crime-29254

Farage sleeps through his alarm and blames immigrants http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30370273

Farage duck walks through Sussex singing Nazi youth songs http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...y-8827958.html

Farage would rather live next to Germans and Romanians because we all know what the difference is http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27459923

Farage thinks its cool to call everyone poofters and chinkys http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014...n_6353102.html
    All good and true things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    All good and true things.
    How is making up a statistic a good or a true thing...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    How is making up a statistic a good or a true thing...?
    What did he make up?

ReputationRep:
    What did he make up?
    He tried to pretend that 7% of all crime in the EU was committed by Romanians. This was incorrect. Jeremy Paxman had to point that out to him.

He said that 92% of all ATM crime was committed by Bulgarians and Romanians. This is wrong. The statistic comes from an unverifiable source - there are no reliable figures and the source cited never mentioned Bulgarians.

He also pulled out the whole 28,000 arrests figure. This is statistic which has been mis-used again and again. For a start, it is number of arrests - you could have a single shoplifter arrested several times who would add to each of the 28,000 arrests. It is also important to say that arrests do not equal convictions and to look at what those arrests are for - only a small fraction would be for serious offences. Most were for begging.

ReputationRep:
    He tried to pretend that 7% of all crime in the EU was committed by Romanians. This was incorrect. Jeremy Paxman had to point that out to him.

He said that 92% of all ATM crime was committed by Bulgarians and Romanians. This is wrong. The statistic comes from an unverifiable source - there are no reliable figures and the source cited never mentioned Bulgarians.

He also pulled out the whole 28,000 arrests figure. This is statistic which has been mis-used again and again. For a start, it is number of arrests - you could have a single shoplifter arrested several times who would add to each of the 28,000 arrests. It is also important to say that arrests do not equal convictions and to look at what those arrests are for - only a small fraction would be for serious offences. Most were for begging.
    So tedious.

ReputationRep:
    Yessir

ReputationRep:
    So tedious.
    But the question was - how is making stuff up a good and true thing?

ReputationRep:
    So tedious.
    You mean inconvenient, presumably.

ReputationRep:
    According to an ex UKIP member Farage allegedly said that "'I'm not sure about that,' and he said, 'There's no need to worry about the nxgger vote. The nxg-nxgs will never vote for us.'"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...steins-monster

ReputationRep:
    I wish people didn't try to psychologise so much. I don't need to think that Farage is racist or even xenophobic to avoid voting for him. He's factually wrong on many issues including immigration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by subject1)
    Even if it is not offensive towards the group you are in, Nigel Farage publicly defended its use. I am sure many people would take offence listening to that on TV.
    If someone desribed a Carribbean shop as a "nig*er" then I am sure many black people would be annoyed as well.
    100% certainty? Other people's feels gon get hurt?

ReputationRep:
    But the question was - how is making stuff up a good and true thing?
    If you were consistent in your criticisms, I might care.

ReputationRep:
    If you were consistent in your criticisms, I might care.
    So you don't care whether something is made up or not? So long as it sounds good, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So you don't care whether something is made up or not? So long as it sounds good, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This isn't really about Farage being honest or dishonest at all, is it? If you cared about lying, you would be more bothered about the industrial scale lying and deception of the Labour and Conservative parties to the British people for the last 40 years. Instead I just see a Labour Rosette, which says it all.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't really about Farage being honest or dishonest at all, is it? If you cared about lying, you would be more bothered about the industrial scale lying and deception of the Labour and Conservative parties to the British people for the last 40 years. Instead I just see a Labour Rosette, which says it all.
    If you want to discuss that then create a thread about it. But this thread is very much about Farage.

I don't think there is any question as to his dishonesty. The question was why you think it's a good thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.