The Student Room Group

Ethnic minorities who don't learn about their culture are a disgrace?

Scroll to see replies

culture is overrated.
I'm an ethnic minority and haven't the faintest clue about my culture, because I would never need to know about it.
Original post by UncleIroh
Why should you take pride in a culture that you just happened to be born into? Isn't taking pride in something only valid if it is your own achievements? You can follow and appreciate that culture if you like but why is it an obligation? Also culture isn't embedded in DNA.

EXACTLY your ethnicity makes you no better or worse than anyone, it doesn't mean that you should have to succeed or outline the differences between you and someone else because it's all really just physical.
OP is focusing too much on what is on the outside.
Original post by Vestal Priestess
If you don't know where you come from how do you have any idea where you're going? Knowing your past is really important it builds your character, makes you cultured and it also grounds you especially if your ancestors come from a impoverished nation - it makes you connect on a spiritual level and you can also give back.

It's not your past/where you come from if you yourself didn't come from there...I still maintain that it's a personal decision. I don't think it should be expected that just because you look a certain way (ethnic minority) you're expected to know about a country you've never been too, a language you've never heard spoken, ancestors you never new.
If you're so interested in other people's culture then you learn about it. Why not focus on the culture of your country of birth? Why focus on "your past" (as you call it) when you have a future to build?
Original post by Blaq_widow
Seriously don't try that whole indirect bull****. If you want to address people then do so with an actual argument. No one's trying to silence you - if anything you're trying to silence people's opinions of you. It's an open discussion so be prepared for your views to be called into question and stop acting like a child.

You did in fact call them a disgrace:

"They should learn about it because it's where their parents/ancestors come from. It's their history they should take pride in it. You'd be amazed how many asian people (this includes orientals) that don't learn about their own culture and instead throw themselves into the "British culture" - whatever that is anyway - turning their back on their heritage.

Parents who don't teach their kids the value of knowing where you came from are bad parents and in my own opinions disgraceful as they betrayed their own DNA."

So yeah, back to the point....

Ignorance because > ethnic minorities often 'come from' English speaking countries.

Racism because > your argument seems to be focusing on non-white minorities and you appear to think DNA makes people who they are. It doesn't.

I know you're not actually racist, just an uneducated white girl who doesn't know anything about the topic she's decided to have a strong view about. You masquerade as someone who wants to debate but it's quite obvious you just want to judge people (see your above quote). None of what you say has any thought or intellectual perspective to it.

Are you going to come at me with a proper reasoned response or are you going to name call like a little bitch? (irony is intentional)

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:
Original post by felamaslen
Says me...

So you determine the vakue of opinions...ok..
Original post by TorpidPhil
Culture is an infantile notion anyway I think. It just serves to divide people and stray them from rational, optimal behaviour. So most definitely not, in fact they'de be a superior person so long as they didn't brainlessly adopt the majority culture.

but humans don't have a group identity...ok..
Original post by hamix.forllz
but humans don't have a group identity...ok..

They should. It should come from reason, sometime we all have, except for the mentally ill.
Original post by TorpidPhil
They should. It should come from reason, sometime we all have, except for the mentally ill.

And yet humans arent completely rational...and you deem this a mental illness...ok..
Let it go...let it go...
yes it is a disgrace. But i would like to think that schools focus on expanding their students knowledge, rather that to add more of what they could learn at home from parents and family ect.
also with school being so diverse in races and origin its almost impossible to fit all that knowledge in to a child's head unless you would like to bring back segregation?? "in the class room." To where Ethnic minorities mainly learn about their culture.

I hope you say no to segregation as nothing but trouble would evolve if it was bought back.
There is a way around this ice burg, if schools were to add more experiences that are themed around Ethnic minorities.

Quick Reply

Latest