Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What Is A Good Salary For A 21 Year Old? Watch

• View Poll Results: What Is A Good Annual Salary At 21?
    10-15k
    1.79%
    15-20k
    17.49%
    20-25k
    39.01%
    25-30k
    19.28%
    30-35k
    7.62%
    35-40k
    1.35%
    45-50k
    3.14%
    50-55k
    2.24%
    > 100k
    2.69%
    lol im not voting
    5.38%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    Not on the graduate programmes. Most people do have experience when going for those grad roles i.e intenrships etc.. so they're are generally some unspoke pre-requisites to entering these professions. It's not unrealistic at all, you have a good shot if you attend a target/semi-target, i.e I attend a semi-target university for the industry and have a spring internship offer at a BB investment bank and have already interned pre-uni during the summer at a 2nd tier Investment Bank.

Just about commitment, grind and dedication, for the most part whilst being inquisitive, showing inter-personal ability and developing a brand for yourself.
    Good luck How did you get the pre-uni internship and what uni are you at? (I assume you're doing econ?)

Also, how do you mean by developing a brand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryDn)
    Good luck How did you get the pre-uni internship and what uni are you at? (I assume you're doing econ?)

Also, how do you mean by developing a brand?
    Here's my profile: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/abdulkarimali

Grinded out networking with industry professionals, landed myself an unconventional interview and impressed from there.

Making a name for yourself, differentiating yourself from the competition. This is a people-focused industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    If you'll believe that then you're probably ripe for a career in sales. Sure, some may achieve those advertised numbers.. most won't even come close. Plus the stress, hours and travel involved lead to a high staff turnover within sales.
    Same goes for all those people trying to get into IB if not worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Pretty much any grad scheme starts on £28k, even the public sector after the cuts offers over £27k.

https://targetjobs.co.uk/career-sect...tered-engineer

ReputationRep:

Grinded out networking with industry professionals, landed myself an unconventional interview and impressed from there.

Making a name for yourself, differentiating yourself from the competition. This is a people-focused industry.
    Why have you listed a whole tonne of 1 month 'employments' when all you've done is attended one of their sponsored workshops or training events? Far from being impressive your profile at first glance looks like someone who can't manage to stay in a role for very long at all.. and then misleading once you actually look deeper into what each of those 'placements' actually consisted of. Very odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingGym)
    30k london salary = around 23/4k outside london salary due to cost of living.

Your not 'balling' round london unless your on a £60-75k salary which is unachievable at such a young age, being realistic, unless you got a hefty hedge fund behind you.

A good salary can be anything, so long as it can support your activities and living expenses.
    lol. every single i bank offers that as a first year salary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Why have you listed a whole tonne of 1 month 'employments' when all you've done is attended one of their sponsored workshops or training events? Far from being impressive your profile at first glance looks like someone who can't managed to stay in a role for very long at all.. and then misleading once you actually look deeper into what each of those 'placements' actually consisted of. Very odd.
    oof, thats shots fired. harsh though, he is a few months into university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Not as salary.
    please dont post a statement if you have no idea. 50k is now base salary, excluding between 30-50% base salary bonus, and a 5-10k golden handshake, and relocation as well.

did not mean that to sound as harsh as it may look, just feeling frustrated haha sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welcometoib)
    oof, thats shots fired. harsh though, he is a few months into university
    True, and I have only praise for actually going out there and getting various experience.. its just the way it's listed comes across as misleading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryDn)
    IDK much about investment banking, but wouldn't you be up against candidates with at least a few years of experience for those roles too (so unrealistic apart from First at Oxbridge type candidates) or are they only open to those fresh out of uni?

Thx for the rep if it was you btw, will + rep on recharge bro :yep:
    lse and warwick destroy the other unis for ib, and oxbridge is horrible actually to get into ib, because for the most part the level of workload is so high its hard to do extra curric which are now essential compared to before. lse and warwick allow time for them and to maintain them in a leadership position, which is the main part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    True, and I have only praise for actually going out there and getting various experience.. its just the way it's listed comes across as misleading.
    hmm, thats fair. But i guess making your experiences look exaggerated is the best thing to do right?

ReputationRep:
    hmm, thats fair. But i guess making your experiences look exaggerated is the best thing to do right?
    Not if it's that transparent.

I'm guessing maybe it's because when you format stuff on linkedin the minimum period of time you can enter is one month? I don't know because I don't use that site. I would guess his CV is more honest :dontknow:

Insights & Workshops don't mean you got work experience with those companies.

Anyone doing a basic check in IB will find out and throw you out the door.

Your entire LinkedIn is a joke frankly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Insights & Workshops don't mean you got work experience with those companies.

Anyone doing a basic check in IB will find out and throw you out the door.

Your entire LinkedIn is a joke frankly.
    why are you firing shots and gunning him down?

why are you firing shots and gunning him down?
    This isn't the wild west, I'm not firing shots nor am I gunning him down however given the option... I would

ReputationRep:
    This isn't the wild west, I'm not firing shots nor am I gunning him down however given the option... I would
    the guys 18, i dont know too many people in the same position given daddy hasnt held their hand and given them contacts. you know any at his age?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    x

x
    Sorry to hear that, you don't have to hire me. Not doing too bad for myself.

the guys 18, i dont know too many people in the same position given daddy hasnt held their hand and given them contacts. you know any at his age?
    What position is he in? The position for falsifying experience?

ReputationRep:
    What position is he in? The position for falsifying experience?
    jeez, this a tough crowd, stop firing! can you tell me what it is about his linkedin thats bad?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that, you don't have to hire me. Not doing too bad for myself.
    Not doing as great as you're making out either :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.