Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blitzkrieg15)
    What were the students like at Nottingham? Did the university live up to the high reputation?
    I think at every university, you get every kind of student. There really wasn't a set 'type' of student at Nottingham although I did find there was a strong 'lad' culture there. But honestly, there are a TON of clubs and societies you can go to in order to find like-minded people.

Personally, I didn't like my course, but that's only because I took a joint honours - Philosophy and English - and found this far too difficult and the workload far too great. The lecturers were very good on the whole and the facilities also excellent. I think most people were happy with their courses and the library is brilliant. I just didn't like the rather empty atmosphere of the university - I'm now in the middle of London which is much more my kind of place, very buzzing and fast-paced, but if you'd rather have a spacious, green campus uni, then Nottingham's for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mojojojo)
    It's very overrated to be honest. I like living away from home, have met a lot of people but wouldn't necessarily class many as friends, and don't really get on with my flatmates. We just didn't click, and before I started that was the worst thing I could've imagined happening. So much of university is due to luck I've found, so my situation is different from a lot of people's. Also, my loan is the minimum so is a few hundred short of covering accommodation, so all food and nights out comes from my savings. Since Christmas, my contact hours have pretty much halved to 7 hours, which frustrates me so much as my course (psychology) is basically just subsidising other degrees - 9k a year for 7 hours a week and they don't even provide handouts!
    I'd say I'm still glad I came though. Working in a supermarket on my gap year made me realise that I needed to actually do something, and I'd take this over that any day!
    Which uni are you at? Why do people not get along with housemates? How can I avoid not getting along with others?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    uni is great
    I mean Im pretty much constantly tired and I do work every weekend and I have a lot of lectures and the like so Im in uni a lot
    but its a really great experience Im loving it so far

ReputationRep:
    It's very overrated to be honest. I like living away from home, have met a lot of people but wouldn't necessarily class many as friends, and don't really get on with my flatmates. We just didn't click, and before I started that was the worst thing I could've imagined happening. So much of university is due to luck I've found, so my situation is different from a lot of people's. Also, my loan is the minimum so is a few hundred short of covering accommodation, so all food and nights out comes from my savings. Since Christmas, my contact hours have pretty much halved to 7 hours, which frustrates me so much as my course (psychology) is basically just subsidising other degrees - 9k a year for 7 hours a week and they don't even provide handouts!
    I'd say I'm still glad I came though. Working in a supermarket on my gap year made me realise that I needed to actually do something, and I'd take this over that any day!
    What university do you study at if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by realcloud)
    Which uni are you at? Why do people not get along with housemates? How can I avoid not getting along with others?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can't. It's pot luck who you live with, and if you click. We get on, but aren't best friends or anything, and we're basically all living with different people next year.

(Original post by amieyxox)
    What university do you study at if you don't mind me asking?
    Cardiff. Don't base your decisions on people's responses in the thread - they have no bearing on how good the actual university is for your subject. It's a great city, but it's mostly people you meet that make or break uni for you.

ReputationRep:
    You can't. It's pot luck who you live with, and if you click. We get on, but aren't best friends or anything, and we're basically all living with different people next year.

Cardiff. Don't base your decisions on people's responses in the thread - they have no bearing on how good the actual university is for your subject. It's a great city, but it's mostly people you meet that make or break uni for you.
    What about exams/coursework would you say the more percentage of coursework the better or the other way round? Would that affect uni life?

ReputationRep:
    Best to ask former students (alumni). They can give you an idea about uni life socially and academically. One place to find out more info is alumnireviews.com. Quite detailed and informative from a former student point of view.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...s-9442976.html

ReputationRep:
    You can't really predict what it's going to be like for you. This time last year, I was asking the same questions and how I imagined uni is completely different to how it actually is. It's not necessarily better than I expected or worse than I expected but just different. I still love it so far although it was a bit difficult at first adjusting to living by myself and being far away from home. I feel like as long as you make an effort to make friends and don't stick yourself in your room all day, you're bound to eventually make friends, either through your course, society or accommodation. You'll most likely learn a lot about yourself and have plenty of new experiences. What you'll learn and what experiences you'll have is all dependent on the uni you go to, the people you meet at that uni and ofc you individually.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.