The Student Room Group

Non-smokers, is smoking a dealbreaker to you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm a girl and a light smoker (around 4-7 a day). I'm actually quite fit, I don't smell like an ashtray and always chew a gum after smoking as I don't like the aftertaste anyway. Would this be a dealbreaker to a lot of people? In other words, would you reject a smoker just due to the fact that they enjoy the occasional fag?

P.S.: Even I probably wouldn't date someone who smoked like 2-3 packs a day, that's freaking insane. I'm talking about a light/reasonable smoking habit here.

As a non-smoker its a dealbreaker, I would date a former smoker but not a current smoker.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
My husband was a smoker. I made it clear when he asked me out that I didn't want to date a smoker. It was ultimately up to him what he chose to do, but he promised me he was going to quit, and he did.

We started dating 14th July 2001, and started cutting down, until he smoked his last one just before midnight on New Year's eve that same year. Hasn't smoked since.

+1, one of the best ways to get someone to quit smoking. As a future doctor, I commend you and your husband!
Reply 62
What if they just smoked weed? very occasionally
Original post by slg60
What if they just smoked weed? very occasionally

The problem most people have with smoking is the threat of cancer and the damage nicotine does to your teeth, fingernails, breath and lung capacity with regard to exercise etc.

In answer to your question, for me that wouldn't be a problem at all. A like a rebel.... As long as drugs don't rule your life IMO. Use drugs to enhance your life, never get to the stage you need them...

Edit: that's why, for me, it is important that they smoke less than 5 or so. It must be 'light' smoking as I feel above 10 a day is seriously damaging to your health and is an addiction. The chances of said person quitting (permanently) if they smoked a pack a day would be lower IMO than a 'light' smoker
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes it would be a deal breaker. I'm a health-conscious individual and couldn't date somebody willing so reckless.

Also, people smell after one cigarette, even after mouthwashing/chewing gum. Its unavoidable. You probably can't notice it but a non-smoker would.
Yes. Smokers just tend to smell bad and have disgusting mouths
Original post by Andinet
I strongly dislike smoking, but to say it is a deal breaker is shallow and short sighted.

I don't get why its shallow or short sighted? To me its the opposite. Though smoking isnt a deal breaker for me, just a massive turn off.
Well I'm dating an ex smoker, didn't know till I started dating them.

An ex smoker is fine. If this one person started again I wouldn't dump them for it as I like them by now but I'd discourage them from doing it.

Otherwise I'd have to like a person A LOT if they smoked full time and I was to consider dating them.
Reply 68
It depends, but I think it would be for me ,I hate my moms passive smoke so to have it with my boyfriend as well er no defo deal breaker.
Reply 69
It repulses me to the very core of my being. So yes, dealbreaker.
What 4-7 cigs a day is light?

Wow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would have said it was until I met my partner, who was a smoker when we first started dating. However, he quit a few months into the relationship, and I'm glad I could have been there to help him with that (and apparently, my being a non-smoker was a help on that front). Being able to finally give up did him a lot of good, and I'm very happy and proud that he was able to.
Yes, it still stinks - no matter how much you try to cover it up. In fact, stale smoke underneath perfume is even worse.
It's a deal breaker for me. My dad used to smoke. He only gave up because it (and me giving him a stinking cold) made him very ill) It also gave my Grandfather cancer.

You won't notice this; but it makes you smell, badly.
Original post by beyknowles
if i were a smoker this would get you dumped Sir

That would very much depend on how exactly I went about convincing them to quit, surely?
Yes.
Reply 76
I really like the smell of cigarettes, especially when it's coming from an attractive girl :biggrin:
As a non-smoker, I'd give it a go.
dont worry OP in the real world no one gives a ****

only pruney TSRians are the fussy ones
Nope, doesn't bother me at all!
Yes, deal breaker. Not only is it a smell / taste thing, but it reflects upon the person who does it. If you're smoking in this day and age, when you know all the stuff it does to your body...what does it say about you as a person?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending