Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Non-smokers, is smoking a dealbreaker to you? watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm with what appears to the consensus here which is, if you smoke under say 5 or so a day then it isn't a deal breaker.

I have a family history of cancer and my Dad (the only member who smokes, well did anyway) got lung cancer 9 months ago. Fortunately he survived but it is pure stupidity to get to that stage.

Smoking outside a club or when drinking is fine but I wouldn't want her to smoke around me when I'm sober. Not in my house, not in my air etc.

I totally agree however with the poster who said it's basically the same as being obese/ no exercise/ really bad diet/ alcoholism / major drug addiction etc.

I'm fairly confident out of all the people who have said it's a 'deal breaker and that it's abhorrent that someone would knowingly damage their body', some of you will be overweight... I'm not 'shaming' you but that would mean your comments are hypocritical.

58% of adults in the UK drink at least once a week. Alcohol is poison and it is a drug...

Personally, i hate smoking more than some moderate (even frequent) drug use - coke etc. However, I know that is irrational and it's just due to my fear of cancer etc.

I care far more about a persons well being/persona than personal traits addictions. If they brighten my day and we had a laugh and an active life with stuff going in somedays then I'd be happy. As long as they don't NEED drugs (alcohol, smoking and illegal drugs) to have a good time then that's fine. A bit of extra enjoyment on a Friday/Saturday night (or occasional smoking through the day) is not a huge problem in the grand scheme of things.....

Compared to: compulsive liar, gambler, unfaithful, selfish etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm a girl and a light smoker (around 4-7 a day). I'm actually quite fit, I don't smell like an ashtray and always chew a gum after smoking as I don't like the aftertaste anyway. Would this be a dealbreaker to a lot of people? In other words, would you reject a smoker just due to the fact that they enjoy the occasional fag?

P.S.: Even I probably wouldn't date someone who smoked like 2-3 packs a day, that's freaking insane. I'm talking about a light/reasonable smoking habit here.
    As a non-smoker its a dealbreaker, I would date a former smoker but not a current smoker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    My husband was a smoker. I made it clear when he asked me out that I didn't want to date a smoker. It was ultimately up to him what he chose to do, but he promised me he was going to quit, and he did.

We started dating 14th July 2001, and started cutting down, until he smoked his last one just before midnight on New Year's eve that same year. Hasn't smoked since.
    +1, one of the best ways to get someone to quit smoking. As a future doctor, I commend you and your husband!

ReputationRep:
    What if they just smoked weed? very occasionally
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by slg60)
    What if they just smoked weed? very occasionally
    The problem most people have with smoking is the threat of cancer and the damage nicotine does to your teeth, fingernails, breath and lung capacity with regard to exercise etc.

In answer to your question, for me that wouldn't be a problem at all. A like a rebel.... As long as drugs don't rule your life IMO. Use drugs to enhance your life, never get to the stage you need them...

Edit: that's why, for me, it is important that they smoke less than 5 or so. It must be 'light' smoking as I feel above 10 a day is seriously damaging to your health and is an addiction. The chances of said person quitting (permanently) if they smoked a pack a day would be lower IMO than a 'light' smoker

ReputationRep:
    Yes it would be a deal breaker. I'm a health-conscious individual and couldn't date somebody willing so reckless.

Also, people smell after one cigarette, even after mouthwashing/chewing gum. Its unavoidable. You probably can't notice it but a non-smoker would.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Smokers just tend to smell bad and have disgusting mouths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andinet)
    I strongly dislike smoking, but to say it is a deal breaker is shallow and short sighted.
    I don't get why its shallow or short sighted? To me its the opposite. Though smoking isnt a deal breaker for me, just a massive turn off.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm dating an ex smoker, didn't know till I started dating them.

An ex smoker is fine. If this one person started again I wouldn't dump them for it as I like them by now but I'd discourage them from doing it.

Otherwise I'd have to like a person A LOT if they smoked full time and I was to consider dating them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schrödingers Cat)
    Yes I do have a problem with smokers, got a problem with that?

Depends, if they weren't a serious smoker like the OP and they quit I wouldn't reject them. However if it was a serious smoker who quit probably not as they're likely to start again.
    No, I was just having a discussion. Didn't expect to get attacked for it, sorry if I caused any offence.

ReputationRep:
    It depends, but I think it would be for me ,I hate my moms passive smoke so to have it with my boyfriend as well er no defo deal breaker.

ReputationRep:
    It repulses me to the very core of my being. So yes, dealbreaker.

ReputationRep:
    What 4-7 cigs a day is light?

Wow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GailQ)
    Yeah, right. If I must justify this:

1. Your original statement, " to say it is a deal breaker is shallow and short sighted." quite clearly refers to the general case since, if you were talking about yourself only, you wouldn't have phrased it like that.

2. You then replied to another poster saying:

Again, clearly not referring to only yourself.

3. You then replied again to same poster, making your most sweeping statement of all:

Sorry, but I don't remember when not wanting to go out with a smoker equated to having a massive personal problem with them.

So there is the answer to your question. Sorry to sound catty but the next time you want to make generalisations and judgements about people at least have the guts to stick with it and back it up.
    I'm sensing this is a rather personal attack on me, so I'll bow out here. As I said in my last post I'm sorry if I caused you/others any offence.

ReputationRep:
    I would have said it was until I met my partner, who was a smoker when we first started dating. However, he quit a few months into the relationship, and I'm glad I could have been there to help him with that (and apparently, my being a non-smoker was a help on that front). Being able to finally give up did him a lot of good, and I'm very happy and proud that he was able to.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it still stinks - no matter how much you try to cover it up. In fact, stale smoke underneath perfume is even worse.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    It's a deal breaker for me. My dad used to smoke. He only gave up because it (and me giving him a stinking cold) made him very ill) It also gave my Grandfather cancer.

You won't notice this; but it makes you smell, badly.

ReputationRep:
    This is 2015, there's no such thing as a 'reasonable smoking habit' you turnip :facepalm2: I'd date a smoker but I'd never have kids with one (polluted mind/body)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beyknowles)
    if i were a smoker this would get you dumped Sir
    That would very much depend on how exactly I went about convincing them to quit, surely?

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.