Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I can't wait to start Do you stay in the same Placement School for the whole 1st year? I have borrowed a few books from the reading list from the Library and I am going to start buying some. Are there any that you would recommend that have been helpful? Also, what Sciences are covered or is it all of them? Many thanks for replying to me, I really appreciate it x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crystaal11)
    Thank you, I can't wait to start Do you stay in the same Placement School for the whole 1st year? I have borrowed a few books from the reading list from the Library and I am going to start buying some. Are there any that you would recommend that have been helpful? Also, what Sciences are covered or is it all of them? Many thanks for replying to me, I really appreciate it x

Yes you stay in the same placement so you can get chance to get to know the children etc ready for your month of teaching in the June.
    All sciences were covered but only ah primary level, so nothing harder than what you would teach to the year 6 children. We floating and sinking, Earth and space, Gravity, etc. the tutors make it really simple for you honestly don't worry.
    It's hard to recommend books if I'm honest as you might not cover the same topics as we did and for some assignments you get a choice of different things to do so you might not have picked the same ones as I did. There is a lot of books in the library so don't worry about spending money on books honestly.
    I found the book called "mathematics explained for primary teachers" by David haylock, I got that because I'm not confident at maths.
    A lot of the work is based around theories by Piaget and vygotsky so maybe look at their work?
    Piaget believes children learn better as individual learners but vygotsky believe children learn better when around adults. A lot of work is based around their theories, maybe not at the beginning of the course by your assignments towards the end of first year are based around their theories.
    Don't worry ask me anything as I know how nervous I was so I am happy to help anyone x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarahstone89)
    Yes you stay in the same placement so you can get chance to get to know the children etc ready for your month of teaching in the June.
    All sciences were covered but only ah primary level, so nothing harder than what you would teach to the year 6 children. We floating and sinking, Earth and space, Gravity, etc. the tutors make it really simple for you honestly don't worry.
    It's hard to recommend books if I'm honest as you might not cover the same topics as we did and for some assignments you get a choice of different things to do so you might not have picked the same ones as I did. There is a lot of books in the library so don't worry about spending money on books honestly.
    I found the book called "mathematics explained for primary teachers" by David haylock, I got that because I'm not confident at maths.
    A lot of the work is based around theories by Piaget and vygotsky so maybe look at their work?
    Piaget believes children learn better as individual learners but vygotsky believe children learn better when around adults. A lot of work is based around their theories, maybe not at the beginning of the course by your assignments towards the end of first year are based around their theories.
    Don't worry ask me anything as I know how nervous I was so I am happy to help anyone x

Wow I have done a lot of typos in that reply lol xxx

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  485.9 KB This is what we covered in science this year. It sounds worse than it actually is x

ReputationRep:
Size:  485.9 KB This is what we covered in science this year. It sounds worse than it actually is x
    Oh brilliant, thank you so much ☺ I have done work on Piaget and Vygotsky in my college course so hopefully that will help. That's great that you stay in the same placement. I thought you would be in different schools. I bet it helps a lot being familiar with the children by the time you come to do the teaching. I have just completed a Teaching Assistant course but decided I would rather become a teacher. I worked in a school for about 20months. Can't wait to be back in school again ☺ Re-learning Maths for the QTS Test was hard, I think I have just got that book you mentioned from my local library. I really appreciate you replying, thank you x

ReputationRep:
    Hi Sarah, I'm currently about to start my first year of sixth form and I think I'm interested in becoming a primary school teacher and I really like the sound of this particular course. Is there any advice you would give me about what A level subjects I should study to maximise the chances of me getting an offer. I think I'm going to do Philosophy and Ethics, Music, Photography and then either Classic Civilisation or Psychology. But I'm worried pehaps Photography won't look as good compared to other subjects but I'm more creative than academic so I know I'd get a better grade in Photography.
    Thank you so much in advance for your help ) I really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Sarah, I'm currently about to start my first year of sixth form and I think I'm interested in becoming a primary school teacher and I really like the sound of this particular course. Is there any advice you would give me about what A level subjects I should study to maximise the chances of me getting an offer. I think I'm going to do Philosophy and Ethics, Music, Photography and then either Classic Civilisation or Psychology. But I'm worried pehaps Photography won't look as good compared to other subjects but I'm more creative than academic so I know I'd get a better grade in Photography.
    Thank you so much in advance for your help ) I really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bowtiesandcoffee)
    Has anyone applied to Durham for Primary Education? (2015)
    I just received an offer tonight!
    Hi, I am applying this year. What was the process like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scarlett IOM)
    Hi, I am applying this year. What was the process like.
    Hi,

I am also applying to Durham this year for Primary education i also want to know what the process is like. Which college are you applying to, i think its hard to choose a college because im not quite sure what the differences are, do you know?

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Could you tell me a bit about the differences between the john snow and stephenson colleges and about the interviews for Primary education please, does the interview involve a maths test?

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Has anyone heard back from Durham for primary teaching?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.