Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

At what point in your life will you be able to say "I am successful"? Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    When other people call me Sir/Boss/Mr Singh, not by my first name at my job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Not really. I have things I am happy about but I am far to worried and stressed and miserable too much of the time. I'm also a firm believer in continually looking for ways to improve and maximize happiness anyway.

Also this blog

http://www.pentadact.com/2011-03-12-analysing-happiness/

How we expect happiness and success to relate to each other.

How it really works.

Hence why I chase happiness rather than success. In order for success to keep you happy you would need to be continually improving at everything all the time, consistency getting a promotion every year etc. Which isn't going to happen.

The reverse is also true. If something really bad happens you do eventually get over it and revert to the normal mental state. As long as you don;t have continue external factors causing you mental harm on a regular basis you actually feel ok in about any situation. Your mind adapts. I'm working on getting rid of the regular negative external factors though. It is also why getting a job promotion into a much more regularly stressful situation is not worth it in my view.
    Everyone gets stressed though if you didn't I'd be worried, but I understand I worry far too much about unnecessary things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gauntlets28)
    I dunno, when I've been knighted or something. I like to have some kind of awarded symbol that shows appreciation of my work. It's like how it used to be back when I'd receive awards in school. Boy, I miss those awards.
    I always saw them as way of tricking and manipulating me into doing something I wouldn't normally care about from a very early age. I don't give a **** about your stupid house points. Screw the system!

I was a cynical child that grew up to be a very cynical adult.

ReputationRep:
    When I buy a horse. That's my most enduring goal

ReputationRep:
    When I'm established in my career with a happy wife and family.

Wouldn't guarantee happiness mind.

ReputationRep:
    When I've got a PhD, earn lots of money, and, although it's not hugely important for this, have a successful business which ultimately makes me a billionaire.

ReputationRep:
    Once I have a stable job with an income that my future family can live comfortably on.

ReputationRep:
    Posted on TheStudentRoom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    Once I have a stable job with an income that my future family can live comfortably on.
    do you think you will be the main breadwinner for your family?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by og.east)
    do you think you will be the main breadwinner for your family?
    Probably not. I should have specified that I'd like my husband to also contribute towards the overall income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Not really. I have things I am happy about but I am far to worried and stressed and miserable too much of the time. I'm also a firm believer in continually looking for ways to improve and maximize happiness anyway.

Also this blog

http://www.pentadact.com/2011-03-12-analysing-happiness/
    http://www.pentadact.com/2011-03-12-...ing-happiness/
    http://web.yonsei.ac.kr/suh/file/Eve...%20matter..pdf
    How we expect happiness and success to relate to each other.

How it really works.

Hence why I chase happiness rather than success. In order for success to keep you happy you would need to be continually improving at everything all the time, consistency getting a promotion every year etc. Which isn't going to happen. Even if it does you then find yourself with less time for hobbies etc and as you happiness levels decrease you become more miserable with less free time for recreational purposes. So unless you enjoy the day to day process of your job it isn't worth chasing a high flying career if you ask me.

The reverse is also true. If something really bad happens you do eventually get over it and revert to the normal mental state. As long as you don;t have continue external factors causing you mental harm on a regular basis you actually feel ok in about any situation. Your mind adapts. I'm working on getting rid of the regular negative external factors though. It is also why getting a job promotion into a much more regularly stressful situation is not worth it in my view.
    Well i believe that second intersection point on wards can be leveled out more effectively by controlling your emotions.
    Our emotions are just purely reactions to our current circumstances.
    We as humans are able to program our brain into whatever we want, whether that be happiness, success, sadness.
    For example, lets compare the success line with the progress one has in his work place.
    As one makes more progress with promotions we see that their happiness level is raised up to a certain threshold. To be content with where you are at this point you must experience the feeling of being jobless. Only through this, you will truly be happy, keeping that happiness line level.
    Everyone is greedy so i can definitely understand the 2nd graph.

ReputationRep:
    2 kids, on £40,000 a year (AT)

**** i can't wait to have kids hahahaa

ReputationRep:
    Hmm in the short term when I get into uni to study my dream- optometry. But then afterwards it will be completing degree getting a job etc etc.
    So I guess in the long term once I'm paying of my debts and living stably relying on no ones else and spending my days doing my dream job. Sigh I want sixth form to hurry up

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    When I'm a bestselling author

ReputationRep:
    Never.

The self-improvement struggle only ends when you die.

ReputationRep:
    When I've made it into the fire service and have settled down with my own family

ReputationRep:
    Majority of the replies are not what I consider success, success is not mediocrity.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.