Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Im a trainee surgeon. Ask me anything! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    Cool, thanks.

When you say you are involved with operations, what sort of role/level of involvement do you have as a CST level trainee?

I presume it depends on the operation,,, But I mean, how much is you actually "operating", versus holding equipment for the lead surgeon?
    Long-story short, I try and do as many DHSs as I can. Thats the one operation you can do from start to finish. I think I've managed to do one DHS every two weeks.

All the 'holding equipment' stuff I actually try and avoid unless its with a consultant I like to work with. There's no point standing there watching a reg do a Hemi - id rather be on the ward chatting with the nurses .

Or assisting on a big elective list - nothing can beat that for wasting my day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyra13)
    Do you like to listen to music while you're in theatre? If so, what sort of music?
    Nah not really, we've never done it.

It would be nice though!

ReputationRep:
    I would love to be a surgeon - no matter the pay.

It really is my dream job and i'm sitting here in envy haha. Well done for getting so far!

Are you working with the NHS? ( i saw you mention private work earlier)

Can I also speak to you on PM about something, if thats ok?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YounesB)
    I would love to be a surgeon - no matter the pay.

It really is my dream job and i'm sitting here in envy haha. Well done for getting so far!

Are you working with the NHS? ( i saw you mention private work earlier)

Can I also speak to you on PM about something, if thats ok?
    Im just a trainee at the moment! Thanks though

No, you can't train up to consultant level doing locum work, unfortunately.
    Ive done a bit.

And yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adipoptosis)
    Im just a trainee at the moment! Thanks though

No, you can't train up to consultant level doing locum work, unfortunately.
    Ive done a bit.

And yes.
    Lol, sorry for asking so many questions, but I think this is an interesting thread.

Whenever you are saying, essentially, "I'm not a surgeon yet, I'm just a trainee", does that attitude not annoy you a bit?

I mean, when would you start calling yourself a surgeon? Surely beyond ST3, it's pretty legit to say that you're a surgeon?

I mean, nobody denies that they're a lawyer until they're made a partner, for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    Lol, sorry for asking so many questions, but I think this is an interesting thread.

Whenever you are saying, essentially, "I'm not a surgeon yet, I'm just a trainee", does that attitude not annoy you a bit?

I mean, when would you start calling yourself a surgeon? Surely beyond ST3, it's pretty legit to say that you're a surgeon?

I mean, nobody denies that they're a lawyer until they're made a partner, for example.
    Yeh once I'm ST3, ill consider myself a surgeon.

Think about this way, at this point I can do one operation with supervision.

As a reg, you're doing many operations without supervision and will be supervising other people.

ReputationRep:
    what is your opinion on neurosurgery? (I know its not your speciality but what would you advise someone thinking of doing it?) also what would you have become if you weren't doing what you are today (other careers?)

ReputationRep:
    Can I marry you?

ReputationRep:
    Do you manage to turn up for the WHO on time?

ReputationRep:
    What were your reasons for wanting to study medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IOA3E3)
    what is your opinion on neurosurgery? (I know its not your speciality but what would you advise someone thinking of doing it?) also what would you have become if you weren't doing what you are today (other careers?)
    I think its extremely cool. I mean, to be able to say you're a neurosurgeon...wow, right? There's also the fact that T&O is like changing the wheels of your car compared to neurosurgery, which is like a tuning a swiss watch. Its an incredible thing.

The problem is, lots and lots of training and because there are so few neurosurgical centres you could easily end up in Aberdeen. Im a London boy, I don't want to go to Aberdeen...Also I don't think I'm dedicated enough to do it.

If I wasn't a doctor, id have gone to the city. Probably S&T.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mezza362)
    Can I marry you?
    Unfortunately, I'm currently infatuated with somebody else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    Do you manage to turn up for the WHO on time?
    Yes, ofc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gum1941)
    What were your reasons for wanting to study medicine?
    Interesting career, very varied. Respected. Decent wages. Guaranteed employment. Family history. Fascination with a chemistry set I had when I was five.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh once I'm ST3, ill consider myself a surgeon.

Think about this way, at this point I can do one operation with supervision.

As a reg, you're doing many operations without supervision and will be supervising other people.
    What is your opinion on the fact that you'll go from Mr. to Dr. then back again to Mr.?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, ofc
    Excellent

Did you like meccano as a child?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by bertstare)
    Is this you?

PRSOM

OP, what do you call two orthopaedic surgeons reading an ECG?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Economics

thats what im doing and i want to go into medicine.... virtual high five

ReputationRep:
    Interesting career, very varied. Respected. Decent wages. Guaranteed employment. Family history. Fascination with a chemistry set I had when I was five.
    What makes you say guaranteed employment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenigma)
    What is your opinion on the fact that you'll go from Mr. to Dr. then back again to Mr.?
    It is a little irritating actually.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.