Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What do you usually have for dinner? (students ONLY!) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Actually I need the same help!!

Last sem, i had a variety of food which included junk or rice, pasta etc (standard student food)

But i really want to eat well...
    thing is, I used to eat rice everyday, and i do get sick of it...the odd maybe once a week/2 weeks is fine, but not every day. Pasta/spaghetti is fine (i add chicken too) but all these foods are high in carbohydrates....
    I am trying to lose some weight, and eating these types of food don't really help to my cause.

I found some recipes online for some chicken based meals (I love my chicken :P)....but some are quite time-consuming (they may say 15 mins, but it would take me around an hour if Ive never done it before!)
    The other problem is, some require ingredients which are not practicle to get...for example, some ask for lavish stuff, which you can only buy in big bags/packets, and then they go to waste because they go out of date (I have the same problem with pasta sauces-you have to eat it within 3 days of opening, or you have to throw the whole tub away!!)-- this is wasteful both in terms of money and food.

So, any ideas?

(sorry if people have already answered this..can't be arsed to go through everyones reply)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleone271)
    It's a lot cheaper to use jars of sauces than it is to buy fresh vegetables, herbs, cream, coconut milk etc. every time you make a curry. If you just use spices you already have and tinned tomatoes or something then that would be cheaper but personally I think it tastes very cheap and defeats the object. If I'm going to cook something from scratch properly then I'd want it to be as close as possible to restaurant quality or I don't see the point..
    I don't buy all of that every time I make curry from scratch. Most of the stuff I use (cloves, cardamom pods, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, peppercorns, spices etc) keep for months in the cupboard and you will get hundreds of servings from them.

I think the only thing I had to buy fresh for my pork vindaloo today was garlic, four green chillies and onions. 6 servings, froze four and got one in the fridge for tomorrow.

I've put a lot of effort into finding authentic recipes and cooking methods and there's no jarred substitute for doing a curry from scratch.

(Original post by SophieSmall)
    Only if you only have curry every now and again, but if it is main staple f your diet and you eat it at least 2-3 times a week then buying jars would be a heck of a lot more expensive. I'd question if you've ever had a freshly made from scratch curry before. Not meaning to sound insulting but I can't understand for the life of me how you could say jars are just as good/not bland in comparison to fresh made in previous posts unless jars are pretty much all you've ever had.
    Great post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moey3)
    Actually I need the same help!!

Last sem, i had a variety of food which included junk or rice, pasta etc (standard student food)

But i really want to eat well...
    thing is, I used to eat rice everyday, and i do get sick of it...the odd maybe once a week/2 weeks is fine, but not every day. Pasta/spaghetti is fine (i add chicken too) but all these foods are high in carbohydrates....
    I am trying to lose some weight, and eating these types of food don't really help to my cause.

I found some recipes online for some chicken based meals (I love my chicken :P)....but some are quite time-consuming (they may say 15 mins, but it would take me around an hour if Ive never done it before!)
    The other problem is, some require ingredients which are not practicle to get...for example, some ask for lavish stuff, which you can only buy in big bags/packets, and then they go to waste because they go out of date (I have the same problem with pasta sauces-you have to eat it within 3 days of opening, or you have to throw the whole tub away!!)-- this is wasteful both in terms of money and food.

So, any ideas?

(sorry if people have already answered this..can't be arsed to go through everyones reply)
    Soups are a good way to go, easy to make, so many varieties and so long as you have at least potatoes and stock and any other bits to throw in as you please then you can pretty much always make a soup. It's also pretty damn cheap to make, and you can either make in bulk and freeze or just eat the soup over a few days, or change it up by adding some extra ingredients the next day if you fancy a change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Only if you only have curry every now and again, but if it is main staple f your diet and you eat it at least 2-3 times a week then buying jars would be a heck of a lot more expensive. I'd question if you've ever had a freshly made from scratch curry before. Not meaning to sound insulting but I can't understand for the life of me how you could say jars are just as good/not bland in comparison to fresh made in previous posts unless jars are pretty much all you've ever had.
    I've made curry from scratch before with fresh vegetables, herbs, loads of different spices and coconut milk and marinated the chicken overnight etc and it tasted amazing and miles better than anything from a jar but it was a massive hassle and really expensive because of all the fresh ingredients.

When it's made from scratch without spending money on loads of fresh ingredients I find that it tastes very cheap and if you find a good jarred sauce then that wins every time. I've tried it made in loads of different ways by different people and I find it bland and that it lacks the right balance of flavours and texture. If I'm going to make something from scratch I'll want to go all out and do it properly or there just isn't any point bothering I don't think.

A freshly made curry done properly is not a budget curry. There's a huge difference between cheap Asian food that tastes cheap and is an everyday meal that people with non western tastes might enjoy and Asian food that good restaurants serve that tastes amazing and costs a lot to make and then jars are somewhere in the middle and require no hassle.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.