• Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Ndella)
    I'm pretty sure the Oyster card can detect an unfinished journey and will automatically take the fare out lol
    If your oyster isn't checked out at the end of the journey after a certain time, you will be charged an expensive fine - that's why at one station I used to commute to and from, even though they did not operate the gates (night entrance/exit) you would have to still touch out - got caught out when I was first doing it, and it was an expensive lesson to learn!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMus)
    You're the coolest one there if you ride the train like a surfboard...not holding anything
    I do this regularly and I look around like :smug:to see if anyone's acknowledged my achievement.

It's never acceptable to laugh if your by yourself know matter how funny whatever's on your phone. Apparently it's just weird.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    protip: take it off, put it on the floor in front of you, and use it to guard your personal space against potential intruders. This works particularly well if you can occupy a corner.

(It is pretty annoying if you keep it on when it's packed anyway.)
    I tried but then people gave me annoyed looks for taking up room on the floor! I should have walked instead of getting the tube . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Was down there today actually

Running in between stops and to catch the train is a MUST.

and you've got to give a big glare to the person who has there bag trapped in the doors!

ReputationRep:
    You must not look at or read other people's papers, otherwise they will get offended and you will get weird looks from them.

I saw someone staring at someone else's paper (I believe it was a Metro), and I don't know why he was getting so defensive and frustrated (rolling eyes, giving stares, trying to close the paper sufficiently to block the other person off from reading). It was as if his paper was his vulnerable child being stared at by a paedophile. People get so defensive about petty things like this and I don't know why. So avoid confrontations and don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    what are those doors at the end of each carriage ? do they open ?
    and can you open them whilst the tube is moving ?

I've always been too scared to open one

ReputationRep:
    I have a question yo

You know at the gates, can you use your oyster before the gates close for the person in front of you... Nothing dodgy will happen if you use it before the gates close right

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Up quark)
    I have a question yo

You know at the gates, can you use your oyster before the gates close for the person in front of you... Nothing dodgy will happen if you use it before the gates close right

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeh you can - the doors will gates will just stay open...

Just don't go through without scanning it - bad things will happen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Yeh you can - the doors will gates will just stay open...

Just don't go through without scanning it - bad things will happen!
    Ok, safe

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Déscartés)
    I do this regularly and I look around like :smug:to see if anyone's acknowledged my achievement.

It's never acceptable to laugh if your by yourself know matter how funny whatever's on your phone. Apparently it's just weird.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I do it often too. I get so pleased to see myself successfully holding on defenseless while others are fighting for their life and pride to stay stable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You must not say 'excuse me'.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    No eye contact. Unless you want to start a tube duel.

ReputationRep:
    Never get on the tube in the early morning being really happy and chipper, people don't like it .... trust me
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Tomsta)
    Never get on the tube in the early morning being really happy and chipper, people don't like it .... trust me
    To be fair though - when people say good morning to me happily on the tube any time before 8am, i wouldnt have had my morning fix of coffee, and would probably still be nursing a hangover - so yeh, i don't appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    To be fair though - when people say good morning to me happily on the tube any time before 8am, i wouldnt have had my morning fix of coffee, and would probably still be nursing a hangover - so yeh, i don't appreciate it
    I'm a morning person and i bike to the station ergo i'm wide awake by like 7:30

ReputationRep:
    If it's rush hour (which on the tube is pretty much always ) wear extra deodorant... Please...
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Applescruff)
    If it's rush hour (which on the tube is pretty much always ) wear extra deodorant... Please...
    Agreed... - this is an ABSOLUTE MUST. If you don't prepare to have a fallout zone around you - and although you get the extra few cm's of space, everyone knows why...

ReputationRep:
    Under no circumstances should you show a shred of humanity. No talking, no eye contact, sit as far apart as seating allows.

ReputationRep:
    How about: not reading your newspaper in a crowded train during rush hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tpx)
    Don't press the "door open" button when the train stops.

Yeah you can. Not meant to though. They're always unlocked in case of emergencies.
    is there a chance you could fall down in between the tube ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.