Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Everyday things you never managed to get the hang of / find 'difficult'? watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I very rarely sit down and eat a full meal without dropping at least a bit of it on my top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    youve missed many better acts but yeh.for a nation of our size we punch above our weight for sure.
    Do you ever feel the need to deck someone when the conversation turns to music from Ireland and the first thing they mention is U2 instead of Thin Lizzy? I know I do, and I'm not even Irish...

ReputationRep:
    Parallel parking when driving, always end up about a metre or more from the pavement!

ReputationRep:
    I can't spread butter, I just can't.

I often struggle with locks as well.

ReputationRep:
    socalising - it's more a phobia than an incapability

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viridiana)
    I can't whistle
    You are not alone

ReputationRep:
    Cooking rice. Which is really annoying as I enjoy stir frys. I find rice in a bag is usually easier to cook, but I still struggle to get it right. Quite annoying as aside from that I'm a pretty good cook and enjoy cooking.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    I'm Dyspraxic, so most things involving limbs As a result independence as a result of that confidence due to that social skills, etc.
    Same. Although I'm pretty good at archery

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I can't eat without missing my mouth a few times and getting food everywhere :ashamed2:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheDaylighter)
    I can't eat without missing my mouth a few times and getting food everywhere :ashamed2:
    I thought I was the one with bad coordination:confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    I've never learned how to ride a bike, which a lot of my friends take the mickey out of me for.
    Ugh I get crap for this one too. I have learned but quickly forget again, and even when I had a lot of practice on a bike I never got any better at riding it.

There are a lot of things like that for me, where I learn the basics but can't seem to move any further forward, no matter how much practice and guidance I get.

The other thing is talking to people. For me it's not an anxiety thing, I can leave a conversation feeling perfectly content, it's others who leave feeling weird about it. It's a problem of not knowing how to fill or structure a conversation. I have learned that people develop a subconscious structuring or rhythm to their conversations, with a complex but once again subconscious language that we use in order to synchronize ourselves to the same rhythm. This is made up of timings, pauses, body language, eye contact, loudness and tone of voice and so-on. These factors act like characters in the language that make up a virtually infinite number of unique combinations, much like letters in the alphabet could be used to say practically any phrase. Also I have no "this silence is getting awkward" alarm in my head, I could sit in silence and be fine for hours while the other person is thinking... well actually I don't know what they're thinking because I don't know why people don't like those sweet moments of quiet. Personal preference? Sure but I still don't get it.

It would seem that my entire life I have been severely neglecting this side to human interaction, not even knowing that it was a thing I was missing. I thought it was adequate enough to have something to say and to say it respectfully or not say it at all. Now I'm learning there's this whole other world of social interaction that I didn't even realize exists. Now I just need to figure out, is it too late to learn? It seems even children have a better grasp of it than I do.

ReputationRep:
    Dropping quibbles I have for the sake of congeniality. Just see no point in desisting for someone's peace.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Driving - have never even tried it, and ten pin bowling.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    I very rarely sit down and eat a full meal without dropping at least a bit of it on my top.
    Same! And this is the only reason why I've changed my jumper twice this week.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iammeyouareyou)
    For some reason I still find it a little bit difficult to cross the road when there's lots of traffic about. I'm always hesitant about whether or not to cross

I'm also quite bad on the phone. I really don't like having to make phone calls.
    I am the same. It's hard for me to manage because I live in a busy city so it can be awkward sometimes.
    Talking on the phone is something I hate. I never call the doctor myself

(Original post by super_kawaii)
    I've never learned how to ride a bike, which a lot of my friends take the mickey out of me for.
    Same and now I go to the park to learn sometimes but I look so silly !

ReputationRep:
    Ironing shirt sleeves. Literally impossible.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Same! And this is the only why I've changed my jumper twice this week.:rolleyes:
    Thought I'd managed it last night, then I got up to take my plate to the sink. The knife fell of the plate, brushed on my shirt as it went down and left sauce all down the front of me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iammeyouareyou)
    For some reason I still find it a little bit difficult to cross the road when there's lots of traffic about. I'm always hesitant about whether or not to cross

I'm also quite bad on the phone. I really don't like having to make phone calls.
    HAHAHA me too! The crossing the road thing. There is always traffic outside my house and I am just standing there for a good 5 minutes deciding when I should cross.

This may seem like a really rude one and I do apologise before hand. But I need to stop talking over people. It is not something I do on purpose, it is just I tend to get over excited (even if we talk about ordinary things) and just wanna say my part as quickly as possible. I am trying to stop it though.

ReputationRep:
    Telling left from right. I always have to use my hands to make the L shape!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Thought I'd managed it last night, then I got up to take my plate to the sink. The knife fell of the plate, brushed on my shirt as it went down and left sauce all down the front of me
    I almost always find it involves orange food and pale coloured clothing.:rolleyes: Someone once asked me if I wanted a bib. I don't think he was joking.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.