Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone else here doesn't feel 'British'. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am quite patriotic, don't understand why i should be proud of the place I was born but I am

ReputationRep:
    I feel British so much so that it brings tears to my eyes when I see the Union Jack flag anywhere, even outside the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    I could say British is the best language, literature, science, arts and music on this planet, a rich historical tapestry with a legacy that stretches across the planet, jam, cream and scones in a country tea-room, picnics in the summer, Ascot, the Grand National, Wimbledon, Rugby, Henley Regatta, Glyndebourne, Sunday roast at home with the family, Bonfire Night, Summer Solstice at Stonehenge
    :lol::lol::lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharpshooter)
    Born and bred in England to Irish parents lived there till I was 14. Suffered all sorts of abuse when I was at school because of my Irish background, or at least that was used as a stick to beat me with by my bullies, Irish ****/IRA *******/filthy mick/**** off back to Ireland pikey scum etc. I was getting that till they day I left pretty much.

Then I moved to Northern Ireland where my parents are from, and although the bullying stopped (which was nice) I was definitely seen as 'Englishman' and a 'Brit' people making jokes and comments about British rule in Ireland and how the English treated Irish people and how people like me where responsible for the famine and bloody sunday etc, a few p*ss off back to England comments blah blah but in all not so bad.

Basically I'm an English ******* in Ireland and an Irish ******* in England, pretty much till the day I die. I feel as though I have absolutely no nationality and therefore no sense loyalty to any particularly nation, understandably I think. I'm too British to be Irish (with my English accent) and too Irish to be British.

I try not to draw on what my nationality is too much because I know I'm never going to really have one, I recognise I'm a foreigner wherever I go essentially. Even filling out a form applying for courses is difficult because I don't know whether to state Irish or British most of the time, since I have no desire to be any of those said nationalities.

I don't cheer on Ireland or England in any sports either.

They were probably just jealous because Irish guys are so hawt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pulse.)
    What does it even mean to feel British or follow British values?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Be polite, everything with a smile, be gracious and tolerate everything silently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beyknowles)
    I would never identify as being a Brit. I am English. Britain = England and Wales, GB = England, Wales and Scotland, I'm not from Wales or Scotland and have only been to Wales once, to a holiday park. So I would say I'm English and would never identify as British.

I mean, when people on the TV do 'British' impressions, and they talk about drinking tea and whatever, they're actually just speaking about the English....
    Yes they are, but British sounds posher and since that's what the stereotypes are, posh ones, that is why they say British. That is what I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    I'm British as I was born here but if WW3 broke out I would fight against Britain
    You would not have the time to even consider (against) signing up as a result of modern technology. We'd all be obliterated in minutes.

Also please explain why you are so ashamed and disgusted of our great nation, that you would consider fighting against us.

ReputationRep:
    I DID identify as British, but that's before I moved to Wales (so I identifed as English from pretty much age 18/19 - I'm 22 now). The Welsh and the Scottish are their nationalities before British and have a much different culture from England. For that reason, I identify as English.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter. I consider myself a citizen of the world. Besides, ideas of patriotism/nationalism are bull**** and like Einstein once said: "Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."

ReputationRep:
    Don't feel British but I don't care.

Most British people are Polish or Phukofhistani. So OP does have a point.

Im a Taff, but I love Chinese food and Curries. I also love kebabs. I also drink Irish cider and eat yanky grub too (I.E cheeseburgers). But I do support England when they lose the world cups.

ReputationRep:
    It depends, I was born here and so were my parents, but my family is Greek Cypriot and all my life they've distanced themselves from being 'British' and so my home life is a mix between the two (my mum's a lot more Anglicized than my dad) so I tend to pick and choose when it suits me (sounds bad I know)

I think the main reason why people tend to distance themselves from 'Britishness' is because of it's affiliations with chav/white trash culture

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constantino_chr)
    It depends, I was born here and so were my parents, but my family is Greek Cypriot and all my life they've distanced themselves from being 'British' and so my home life is a mix between the two (my mum's a lot more Anglicized than my dad) so I tend to pick and choose when it suits me (sounds bad I know)

I think the main reason why people tend to distance themselves from 'Britishness' is because of it's affiliations with chav/white trash culture
    Change it, be upper class

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slg60)
    Be polite, everything with a smile, be gracious and tolerate everything silently.
    I don't see how any of that is synonymous with being British. Surely the same can be said for other western liberal democracies.

ReputationRep:
    This is a tough one. On my dad's side I'm as English as you can get. My dad was actually half French on his mother's side but his father was probably the most English person I ever met. My dad was quite English too. In that he had English mannerisms, was very reserved and always felt most at home in England.

But my mother's side is the polar opposite. She's the daughter of Hungarian immigrants and she didn't speak English till she was 6 or 7. She was brought up in a very European way. She's more English now as she's lived here her entire life. But she's still very European and has never felt British.

As for me, because of my mixed background I don't have a clue what I feel. I love England and I love being able to say I'm English but at the same time theres so much I hate about it here. So many things that are just better in Europe.

Having said that, I do feel like England is my home. Whenever I come back after being abroad I think yeah, I'm home.

ReputationRep:
    I don't feel like anything, Pakistani's treat me as a clueless Brit, and I have different views to them.

But at the same time I just don't feel entirely patriotic of Britain, despite being influenced more by British culture. (Groups like EDL and BNP only make me feel like don't belong even more)

I'm just a random guy on this planet trying to get by, nationality means nothing to me.

ReputationRep:
    I don't feel particularly British despite the fact that my ancestry is entirely English as far back as I have managed to trace it so far.

There isn't really that much to feel British about.

If America didn't have such awful government policies and pathetic market regulation I would definitely move to California. I don't feel comfortable anywhere physically in Britain really - I don't like the cities and I don't like the countryside.

ReputationRep:
    I've lived here my life entire and my family embraces the culture (despite being from Zimbabwe), but I can never feel like this is my country. After I graduate uni I'd like to go back at some point.
    The passport and free education is cool though . It sort of bums me out that I don't feel "British" even though I am on paper because British people have a lot to be proud of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pulse.)
    I don't see how any of that is synonymous with being British. Surely the same can be said for other western liberal democracies.
    AHAHAHAH no it most certainly cannot be said for any of the other European countries. The Americans can do most of those things, other than suffer in silence, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't feel British then why are you in Britain?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.