all my friends are mods
bikerx23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Carl)
all my friends are mods
yet you still have 10 warning points? Yea - great friends they are...
Carl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I didn't mention that they're also a bunch of *****
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They'd have to be to put up with you...
Longshoredrift80
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
No, Jonathan. Read the post again which I quoted. You said that all of the measures used to combat terrorism that the Lib Dems wish to repeal were necessary.
Please quote where I said such a thing. Because you appear to be drawing this simply from my general comments about the changed situation since 1997, rather than from any explicit comments. And such an inference is patently wrong.

Yet you would need exactly this insight to assert (as you do) that such measures are necessary. Your original point fails on exactly the same logic. Your logic, might I add.
You see, once again you assert that I said such measures are necessary. At no stage did I claim as you have claimed I did "all of the measures" were necessary. That was simply a poorly-supported inference that you drew from my statements.

Do you withdraw your original assertions?
The ones you invented?
Longshoredrift80
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If the benefits are unascertainable, we cannot possibly assent to legislation that has evident and substantial costs with respect to personal freedoms.
The benefits are NOT unascertainable. They are unascertainable TO US. The benefits may be incredibly apparent and easily ascertainable to those actually charged with protecting the UK. And in light of that lack of vital information, you lot (and I) are really in no position to comment on the value of the legislation.
Johnny 5
Badges: 11
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by JonathanH)
And in light of that lack of vital information, you lot (and I) are really in no position to comment on the value of the legislation.
YES! That's the badger. We know where we are, now. So we're agreed that comments such as
(Original post by JonathanH)
Yeah, let's... pretend... that numerous methods used to combat a highly increased terrorism threat are unnecessary.
aren't really justified, as we don't know just how necessary they are.

So perhaps we, as citizens, should judge such legislation on the basis of what we, as citizens, can clearly see to be happening, and potentially happening, under the current legislation. That is: British citizens being held without charge, compensation or apology. Any one of us, in theory, being held for 28 days in the slammer for just about diddly squat. Of course, as you argue, the government may well see that the legislation's had an effect. But we can't see this. We can't verify what they tell us. And blind, absolute trust in government, under any circumstances, forms a very slippery slope indeed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (399)
37.64%
No - but I will (82)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (75)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (504)
47.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise