protein shakes Watch

halfoflessthan50p
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh you are argumentative and pedantic, arent you?

You should be a politician
Eblis_O'_Shaughnessy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
Oh you are argumentative and pedantic, arent you?

You should be a politician
So people say.

I also fail to see how pointing out the very simple point that protein shakes are about 3 to 4 times richer in terms of protein and also quicker to make means that I am pedantic.
Consie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
“If they packaged tuna in 100g cans and supplied 40g scoops for protein, there would be a lot more protein in shakes.”
The fact is though dude, they don’t – the current situation with shakes is that they stock these measurements, and so when arguing about the effectiveness of them (which is based on these measurements) we can only use these measurements as a basis to propose thesis and antithesis (look up Socratic method). The fact your failing to do this 1) reflects that your getting owned and 2) reflects the massive holes in the logic of your argument.

When I talked about practical consumption, I’m saying if you played by the logical rules of the argument, and took one average (i.e. labelled) scoop from a protein shake and drank it, you would get less from it than simply cracking open a tin of tuna. That you’re saying in order for protein shakes to be more effective than eating a can of tuna shows that they are not as effective.

Before you **** yourself in frustration, I understand that the measurements of the two are different, and that in the case of 100 grams of a protein shake vs 100g of tuna, the protein shake would win, but I’m talking about PRACTICALITY, i.e. eating a can of tuna vs preparing and drinking protein shake based on the pre-set rules of consumption. Since its less hassle to peel back the top of a tuna can than to ****ing mix and prepare a protein shake shows they suck.

“EDIT: I just checked a can of tuna from downstairs: "Recommended servings per can: two".
That means you can get enough out of it for people ppl, not the recommended ‘dosage’

Halfoflessthan50p’s first point pretty much gets what im saying. Im also commenting on the logical framework needed for this argument to take place.

I’m not buying at all that its easier to drink a shake than to nail a can of tuna. Peel the can off, chuck the tuna in a civ, and then slap it on a place. Protein shakes, such as say, body fortress from Holland and Barratt, need blending and everything, and then you have to wash the blender, which takes longer than washing a civ. Also, when I tasted some my mate’s protein shakes, they weren’t tasty/not sickly enough to be downed in one – they taste too watery. Yeah, you can down a mcdonalds shake in one if you can take the ball-trembling brain freeze afterwards, but protein shakes just aren’t as nice.

‘There is no logical reason to only drink 2 per day if you can't get enough protein from other sources’
The patently obvious point is that by doing this your demonstrating that they suck.
Consie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's not a logical rule in the slightest, it is ARBITRARY for God's sake.
Rules by their nature are arbitary...

I have a scoop that is a 50g scoop, that destroys your whole argument, the only difference being that I only have to dip the scoop into the protein mix once instead of twice.
Ok, ill just buy a bigger tin of tuna, which will give me more priten in terms of practicallity. your missing the point that for this argument to work, you need to stick by the rules of it. In terms or raw protien content, its clearly obious the shakes win, but in terms of taking an average (note the ARBITARY but ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY measurement of AVERAGE here) tin of tuna and an average protien shake serving, tuna wins in the practical sense of delivering more protien more quikly and with less hassile.

You cant see the wood for the trees.

STUPIDSTUPIDSTUPID. Pre-set rules of consumption? Are you really so mindless that when you read a packet of rice that says "typical serving 65 grams" you will measure out exactly 65 grams every time? Same principle.
no, you might get 63 or 66, but thats different form needing to get another scoop, thus making it 120ish, negating the singular effecivness of the shake serving.

The point of my argument is that if you take the average shake serving and the average tin of tuna, tuna wins. in order for the protien to win your saying you need to scoop out more, and therefore your not using an aveage serving, and are thus showing that tuna wins.

When you say efficient, what are you taking into account? I think your only considering pound for pound protien content, not other, wider factors such as effort needed in preparation, consumption and post-consumption clean up. Take into account the wider factors and tuna's big, protien-filled, masculine penis jizzes all over the protien shake's face.

Tuna wins again.
Eblis_O'_Shaughnessy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Consie)
Rules by their nature are arbitary...

Ok, ill just buy a bigger tin of tuna, which will give me more priten in terms of practicallity. your missing the point that for this argument to work, you need to stick by the rules of it. In terms or raw protien content, its clearly obious the shakes win, but in terms of taking an average (note the ARBITARY but ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY measurement of AVERAGE here) tin of tuna and an average protien shake serving, tuna wins in the practical sense of delivering more protien more quikly and with less hassile.

You cant see the wood for the trees.

no, you might get 63 or 66, but thats different form needing to get another scoop, thus making it 120ish, negating the singular effecivness of the shake serving.

The point of my argument is that if you take the average shake serving and the average tin of tuna, tuna wins. in order for the protien to win your saying you need to scoop out more, and therefore your not using an aveage serving, and are thus showing that tuna wins.

When you say efficient, what are you taking into account? I think your only considering pound for pound protien content, not other, wider factors such as effort needed in preparation, consumption and post-consumption clean up. Take into account the wider factors and tuna's big, protien-filled, masculine penis jizzes all over the protien shake's face.

Tuna wins again.
Why are you so concerned with these arbitrary "average" measurements? Can you not think for yourself? Do you not have the brain to work out what your own requirements are?

Actually, what am I saying, your amazing argument has won me over. Clearly the efficiency of something is not what's important, it's overall volume.

With that having been said, I'd like to take this opportunity to announce myself as the best athlete in the entire world. I suppose I had better justify this.

Clearly I am a more "efficient" bench presser than guys like Dave Gulledge, because he recommends sets of 2 and he might do a set of 2x725lbs, and my recommended amount would be sets of 10 and I would do more like 10x260lbs, meaning I bench press 1150lbs more than him per set. And obviously I am a better deadlifter than Andy Bolton (world record holder for deadlift) because his recommended set for deadlift might be more like 2x900lbs, and I would recommend sets of 10 and would do 10x300lbs, thus meaning for our recommended amounts I would shift 1200lbs more than him.

So now we've established me as by far the best powerlifter in the world, I suppose I had better establish my credentials as one of the best runners ever. I am obviously far better than Carl Lewis, because his recommended amount for a run was 100m, and I will typically run 4 miles. I also like to run in a pair of size 11 £200 Nike Air shoes which are more price "effective" than a pair of size 10 £20 Umbro shoes because they are one size larger.

I suppose considering I am by far the most dominant athlete in the world I had better offer some nutritional advice. I would suggest Eblis_O'_Shaughnessy own brand protein shakes. They come with a 3.6kg scoop and offer 3,000 grams of protein per recommended serving, thus making them 100 times more "effective" than tuna.
master-chafe
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oestrogen in your diet also makes you fat. Commercial whey proteins tend to contain a lot and skip lots of the positive pro-imune system and pro-growth things that protein comes with when it doesn't come in a tub.

Personally, all the people I know who take supplemented protein are big but soft. All the lean, hard and strong people I know rely on tuna, eggs, turkey etc. for their protein.

It probably has a hell of a lot to do with most of the former having a crappy diet in addition to protein shakes and the latter having a proper healthy diet that they rely on for all the nutrition they need instead of making up for bad diet with magic powders and pills.

The healthiest way would obviously be to eat enough organic, fresh and non-pasturised, hormone-free meat, fish, grain, fruit, dairy etc. but this just isn't realistic and so I don't really see any problem in topping up protein with shakes or whatever, I just don't agree with replacing diet with it because of all the other things you miss out on (including of course actually eating food)

As far as the whole tuna vs. milkshake is concerned, everything is relative. There is strong and there is strong. I've far more respect for a ten stone person who can chin themselves with one hand and run a marathon (let alone someone who can do an ironman triathalon) than I do for a fourteen stone person that can bench double his bodyweight but can do little else. Others will disagree.
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
can i get protein shakes from the supermarket ? or have they got to be ordered online ? also can you get them flavoured ? (i.e banana etc)
lets_begin
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
why on earth do you use a blender to make your shake? I eat up to 100g of whey at a time and it mixes perfectly with a spoon/fork in a minimal amount of water.
Eblis_O'_Shaughnessy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ankank)
can i get protein shakes from the supermarket ? or have they got to be ordered online ? also can you get them flavoured ? (i.e banana etc)
You can get them flavoured, but you'll be paying a lot more.
Bedshaped
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Buy unflavoured whey from myprotein, they also price match and there quality is top-notch. I've been drinking the stuff for weeks now and it mixes well and seems to be helping me gain some weight.

I drink it 4 times a day. Once in the morning with water, twice throughout the day in a special home-made shake, with whey protein, peanut butter, bananas and oats and then once at night with milk.

Its soooo cheap and so easy to drink at school and when your in a rush.
Eblis_O'_Shaughnessy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bedshaped)
Buy unflavoured whey from myprotein, they also price match and there quality is top-notch. I've been drinking the stuff for weeks now and it mixes well and seems to be helping me gain some weight.

I drink it 4 times a day. Once in the morning with water, twice throughout the day in a special home-made shake, with whey protein, peanut butter, bananas and oats and then once at night with milk.

Its soooo cheap and so easy to drink at school and when your in a rush.
Myprotein.co.uk is the cheapest place I know for flavoured protein.

Also, your peanut butter and banana oat shake sounds nothing short of divine.
Bedshaped
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Eblis_O'_Shaughnessy)
Myprotein.co.uk is the cheapest place I know for flavoured protein.

Also, your peanut butter and banana oat shake sounds nothing short of divine.
Yes its incredibly tasty, tastes like banana milkshake!

150ml milk + 200ml Water + 40g Peanut Butter + 30g Whey + 20g Oats + Half Banana

I use a hand-blender to mix it all, not sure how other people do it.
Speleo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Consie: you are a pretentious idiot who has no idea what he is talking about.

Consider two protein shakes, both IDENTICAL, except the packaging on one suggests using 5g per serving, and the packaging on the other suggests 20g. OBVIOUSLY the latter is 4 times better. :rolleyes:
Eblis_O'_Shaughnessy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bedshaped)
Yes its incredibly tasty, tastes like banana milkshake!

150ml milk + 200ml Water + 40g Peanut Butter + 30g Whey + 20g Oats + Half Banana

I use a hand-blender to mix it all, not sure how other people do it.
I bet that would be even better with a banana yoghurt. Stick that stuff in a blender and you would be loving it!
(Original post by Speleo)
Consie: you are a pretentious idiot who has no idea what he is talking about.

Consider two protein shakes, both IDENTICAL, except the packaging on one suggests using 5g per serving, and the packaging on the other suggests 20g. OBVIOUSLY the latter is 4 times better. :rolleyes:
Shut up! According to his theory I'm the best powerlifter and runner in the entire world, so he must be right!
just t
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
50grams whey plus 200grams oats in a pint and a half of water is where its at
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
so i take it this sort of stuff u cant get from a supermarket ?
Eblis_O'_Shaughnessy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ankank)
so i take it this sort of stuff u cant get from a supermarket ?
No. You can get it from a Holland & Barrett or a GNC if you feel like being ripped off an unbelievable amount though.
Tw!stEd
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
How are they bad, out of interest?
*edit*
How are GNC/ Holland n Barret rip offs?
Eblis_O'_Shaughnessy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Tw!stEd)
How are they bad, out of interest?
They're not. They're over 80% protein, very little fat or lactose, and the quality of whey (biological value) is higher than that of any other protein. It is basically pure quality protein, and whey isolate is even better than whey concentrate.

On top of that, if you buy branded whey from companies like GNC or ON, they will often enrich the protein with amino acids like glutamine and vitamins.
(Original post by Tw!stEd)
How are GNC/ Holland n Barret rip offs?
Because you're paying about 5 times the price you would pay buying from the internet for the exact same product plus some flavourings.

EDIT: I take that back. I just checked the Holland & Barrett website and it has 11.5% less protein and a bit more lactose and fat.

Christ, that stuff is dreadful value!

Holland & Barrett protein/100g:

Price: £2.42
Calories: 393
Protein: 70.5g
Carbohydrate: 7.88g
Fat: 8.88g

Protein from http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/100g:

Price: £0.45
Calories: 393
Protein: 82g
Carbohydrate: 7g
Fat: 6.67g
Bedshaped
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Holland and barrets are ripoffs. Just order on the net. Its safe and secure, if you dont have a card pay someone who has and he can buy it for you.

I really wouldnt buy from anywere other then bulkpowders or myprotein though (unless you can find cheaper).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (371)
37.29%
No - but I will (75)
7.54%
No - I don't want to (70)
7.04%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (479)
48.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed