Should hunting be allowed? Watch

City bound
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lou_)
"is there any justification to why animals should not be hunted?"

Because they are living creatures who have just as much right to be on this Earth as we do. Humans don't own this earth, it's not just ours.
We are the dominant species though. Just another set of animals, one that happens to be at the top. If you take the "living creatures" stance you should apply it to all living creatures, including insects etc. I have yet to meet a non-Buddhist vegetarian who isn't a hypocrite in this way.
The_Bear
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Cruelty to animals covers all behaviour you wouldn't see on a nature program. A hunt kill looks just like a lion killing an antelope. It isn't always quick but why does that even matter? Cruelty is the intentional maltreatment of animals.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Cadre_Of_Storms)
I agree with hunting though not so much with dogs. Nine times out of ten the fox gets away but when it doesnt it doesnt get a quick death its ripped to pieces savagely.
I reckon that is a quick death. I remember photos of foxes being torn apart being circulated by the animal rights lobby. Fact is, when those photos were taken the fox was already dead. A dog knows how to take an animal down and does it efficiently, there is no drawn-out process of death, it's usually a simple matter of going for the throat.

(Original post by The_Bear)
Cruelty to animals covers all behaviour you wouldn't see on a nature program. A hunt kill looks just like a lion killing an antelope. It isn't always quick but why does that even matter? Cruelty is the intentional maltreatment of animals.
I can't say I've ever seen a dog mess about with an animal when it's to be killed.

(Original post by Lou_)

Because they are living creatures who have just as much right to be on this Earth as we do. Humans don't own this earth, it's not just ours.
Yet we are placed on this planet with the ability, in fact with the need, to kill outwith our species.

A cow would eat you given half the chance.
The_Bear
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah depends if the fox is tired enough to give up the struggle, if it fights back then the hound can slip but the "limb from limb" thing, as you say, is when the fox is dead. If it is "bad" to remove the limbs from dead animals then millions of people in the UK alone are "bad" every day.

Another thing I forgot to mention from above is that you couldnt afford free range eggs. I just think that is typical of people who value price above the treatment of animals which I have no problem with unless you start f***ing whinging about animal rights. We are the dominant species on the planet, the reason you can use the internet, sleep in a warm house, meet anyone you like, enjoy a ridiculously easy life is because in the past humans killed animals. I for one would like to see all these animal activists put in an arena with knives and spears vs 50 very hungry lions and see if they have the boll*cks to kill them.

In fact I think i'll be taking that idea into the next series of dragons den.
Aslan
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by Lou_)

Got the answer in one, or at least mine anyway
Aslan
Rep:
?
(Original post by PseudoPhoenix)
Wow! a non-bondage thread by Aslan!
Yeah i know, I feel I am letting down the team
SolInvictus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Pehaps no one is looking at the very plain facts here. Cruelty to animals has been shown to lead to violent crime, and most FBI profiles of murderers and rapists include a history of harm to animals.

Again, on secular principle I am only against wastefull hunting. When it comes to my spiritual beliefs, however, I have a very different view.
City bound
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by SolInvictus)
Pehaps no one is looking at the very plain facts here. Cruelty to animals has been shown to lead to violent crime, and most FBI profiles of murderers and rapists include a history of harm to animals.

Again, on secular principle I am only against wastefull hunting. When it comes to my spiritual beliefs, however, I have a very different view.
Leads to violent crime? More likely that harming animals is a symptom of a violent nature, which leads to violent crime.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by City bound)
Leads to violent crime? More likely that harming animals is a symptom of a violent nature, which leads to violent crime.
Yes, very much so.

Either way, this is not what this thread is about. I'm sure almost all of us find animal cruelty abhorrent. I personally can imagine few things which expose a perverse mind quite so well.
guitargirl03
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by City bound)
We are the dominant species though. Just another set of animals, one that happens to be at the top. If you take the "living creatures" stance you should apply it to all living creatures, including insects etc. I have yet to meet a non-Buddhist vegetarian who isn't a hypocrite in this way.
I do apply that do all living creatures, including insects. Haste the reason I try to buy organic produce and I don't use sprays, powders, etc. to kill insects. I also don't swat flies, wasps, etc. I use natural substances to get rid of them, i.e citronella.
The_Bear
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by guitargirl03)
I do apply that do all living creatures, including insects. Haste the reason I try to buy organic produce and I don't use sprays, powders, etc. to kill insects. I also don't swat flies, wasps, etc. I use natural substances to get rid of them, i.e citronella.
And yet you use electricity and gas which is warming up the planet killing more and more Arctic and Antartic life every year.

Also organic produce has more than likely been planted in an area displacing and thus killing many many kinds of insects and animals.

Seriously, if you want to maintain your short sighted and pompous lifestyle you probably should just end it all right now.
bikerx23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Seriously, if you want to maintain your short sighted and pompous lifestyle you probably should just end it all right now.
But the only way to do that without creating an increasingly hypocritical outlook would be to starve yourself.
The_Bear
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by a fire in the sky)
But the only way to do that without creating an increasingly hypocritical outlook would be to starve yourself.
Or shoot yourself.

Making sure the gun wasnt made with a leather holder...
Aslan
Rep:
?
The interesting thing is that this topic was more based on my feelings to fox hunting. But then people went beyond that. It got me thinking. As one person once said here, we may not directly be killing the animals but all C0 2 emissions are.

It is a worrying thought about how we should survive
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Or shoot yourself.

Making sure the gun wasnt made with a leather holder...
no, because the metal would have been derived from a mine which would have destroyed land/ground, and been smelted to be produced which would influnce global warming
The_Bear
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by a fire in the sky)
no, because the metal would have been derived from a mine which would have destroyed land/ground, and been smelted to be produced which would influnce global warming
F*** I wouldnt be very good at this vegan stuff
guitargirl03
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
And yet you use electricity and gas which is warming up the planet killing more and more Arctic and Antartic life every year.

Also organic produce has more than likely been planted in an area displacing and thus killing many many kinds of insects and animals.

Maybe you should read more into veganism before you criticise it.

I try to elimit the amount of electricity I use, and I don't drive a car, and I try to walk everywhere.

Veganism is the PREVENTION of the INNOCENT killing of animals. It is not about the environment, although many vegans are environmentalists, as that's a different kettle of fish altogether.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by guitargirl03)
Veganism is the PREVENTION of the INNOCENT killing of animals.
Shouldn't that be killing of innocent animals? Your chosen nomenclature suggests that vegans dont agree with killing animals unless its really gory and unnecesary...
The_Bear
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What are the animals innocent of exactly? Crimes against humanity?

I'm guessing that you have never lived with animals although you say you live in the countryside? Lets bring it back to fox hunting, surely this places you in a massive moral dilemma, on the one hand you let the fox live but he then kills two hundred chickens. Now, we are directly responsible for those chickens deaths because we could have killed the old/injured fox in a more humane way than it starving to death.

What do you do? Fox lives chickens die, fox dies chickens live.

This applies to all animals that kill other animals, so basically your belief is fundamentally a contradiction. Death happens in the wild, it isnt really a big deal at all. Could you kill an animal if you were starving or would you rather die?
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
aww...neg rep from guitargirl - that brings back memories...

...its still worth nothing too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.44%
No - but I will (77)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.86%

Watched Threads