Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
What exam board is it?

What unit let you down most?

Good advice
WJEC exam board - I aced the human and physical paper and the coursework getting full marks or close but the paper two which involves manipulating skills let me down. I guess I wasn't prepared enough to use statistics in a geography exam.

RXMXXKX
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Dalek1099)
That is rubbish my school typically started the two year course in year 9 and ended it in year 10,some people did resit Language in Y11 but in general most people finished English in year 10(in other years they did other things in Y11 like doing an AS in English but in my year we got allocated study time instead) and you were only allowed to resit Language.I'm not the one showing off here saying "8b in English" in the title of my thread.
Nobody's forcing you to look at my thread, so if you don't like it you know what to do😒

Posted from TSR Mobile
RXMXXKX
Rep:
?
What exam board is it?

What unit let you down most?

Good advice
AQA SPECIFICATION B

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dalek1099
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ParadoxSocks)
The reason was that they wanted resit opportunities because they thought they could play the system. It blew up in most schools' faces though and ended with pupils performing below expectations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No it wasn't it was to ease the pressure of Y10/11 /to allow people to take more qualifications, my school also entered people in for a Y9 GCSE in German and I don't think anyone got a chance resit any of the early Y9 GCSEs you did in fastrack.If you want to cheat the system(which my school liked to I will admit) you simply enter people into multiple entries at the same time(my school entered people in for linear and modular at the same time) , entering early typically doesn't improve grades.
ParadoxSocks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No it wasn't it was to ease the pressure of Y10/11 /to allow people to take more qualifications, my school also entered people in for a Y9 GCSE in German and I don't think anyone got a chance resit any of the early Y9 GCSEs you did in fastrack.If you want to cheat the system(which my school liked to I will admit) you simply enter people into multiple entries at the same time(my school entered people in for linear and modular at the same time) , entering early typically doesn't improve grades.
But it does give them the chance to throw you back in if you're not getting above a C. That's all they cared for. Ofsted picked up on it at a lot of schools and a lot of teachers (myself included) hated the way some schools made them play a nice game of Anything Over a D Grade.

It definitely isn't a sign of intelligence for the majority of people - it was a sign that schools would do whatever it took, even burning their pupils out with exam after exam, to get them to a C grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dalek1099
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ParadoxSocks)
But it does give them the chance to throw you back in if you're not getting above a C. That's all they cared for. Ofsted picked up on it at a lot of schools and a lot of teachers (myself included) hated the way some schools made them play a nice game of Anything Over a D Grade.

It definitely isn't a sign of intelligence for the majority of people - it was a sign that schools would do whatever it took, even burning their pupils out with exam after exam, to get them to a C grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was only the top two sets who did English early so that doesn't make sense, the rest(those at risk of getting Cs) did 1 GCSE to be finished in Y11.For the Y9 GCSE people who didn't get a C did not resit, there were no opportunities.My school didn't care only about C grades(or else they wouldn't have made everyone resit exams even if they got an A in them as they did for the main English Literature exams and got people to resit coursework to get A and B during Y9-10) but they cheated the system a lot(they said they would put someone through another BTEC course late on in the year to try and get them 5Cs and putting people in for linear and modular maths(even set 2 Maths) and entering people in for a lot of BTECs).

My secondary school results have dropped significantly after the rules have been tightened up.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I love the way that this thread has turned from a Year 9 seeking advice to an educational debate on re-sits and GCSE regulations!
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RXMXXKX)
AQA SPECIFICATION B
Focus on what the questions ask you. Develop skills revolving around the trigger words:
Explain
Describe
Compare
Comment
Evaluate
Summarise
Label
Draw
Calaculate
lolaaks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That is rubbish my school typically started the two year course in year 9 and ended it in year 10,some people did resit Language in Y11 but in general most people finished English in year 10(in other years they did other things in Y11 like doing an AS in English but in my year we got allocated study time instead) and you were only allowed to resit Language.I'm not the one showing off here saying "8b in English" in the title of my thread.
why are you raining on the parade, hell if they said they got a 10a in english you should say yesss! well done,

let them have their moment.
again its not rubbish as you did indeed retake for a higher grade..
TheWaffle
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RXMXXKX)
Hi,
I got an 8b in a recent assessment, I'm really pleased as usually I only achieve 6a's.

I was wondering if any had any tips/advice on maintaining this level or even surpassing it.

All answers will be greatly appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya!

Just wanted to say well done on that amazing grade! The good thing is that now you have good momentum and motivation to keep putting in high efforts into your gcse years.
For gcses I would say that doing little and often helped me to get A* in Lit and A in Language. So if you have a book to study for example start reading/ rereading it early on and have different coloured highlighters to highlight quotes that match with particular themes you are studying. Also write down a list of essay questions you think could come up near the exam and write an outline plan of them.

For Language- make sure you really understand the skills they are looking for. Read over the mark scheme carefully and any good revision guides you can find for your specification.

Hope this helps! GCSEs can be really rewarding and interesting and actually quite fun if you start working slowly but calmly from the start. (For example for my year 11 exams I started my own private work from pretty much day one in a casual way and then became a lot more intense just before exams).

Good Luck!
TheWaffle
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I love the way that this thread has turned from a Year 9 seeking advice to an educational debate on re-sits and GCSE regulations!
haha only on TSR
Dalek1099
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lolaaks)
why are you raining on the parade, hell if they said they got a 10a in english you should say yesss! well done,

let them have their moment.
again its not rubbish as you did indeed retake for a higher grade..
I retook exams for a higher grade not the course a big difference, this option would still be open you in exactly the same way whether you took the course in Y10 and Y11 or Y9 and Y10 I couldn't resit my final units to fufil the 40% terminal rule for GCSEs.If my school had done it in in Y10 and Y11 I would have still resat units I did in Y10 in Y11 like I resat units from Y9 in Y10.

When I opened a thread like this it got taken down for boasting yet unfairly this hasn't.
RXMXXKX
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheWaffle)
Hiya!

Just wanted to say well done on that amazing grade! The good thing is that now you have good momentum and motivation to keep putting in high efforts into your gcse years.
For gcses I would say that doing little and often helped me to get A* in Lit and A in Language. So if you have a book to study for example start reading/ rereading it early on and have different coloured highlighters to highlight quotes that match with particular themes you are studying. Also write down a list of essay questions you think could come up near the exam and write an outline plan of them.

For Language- make sure you really understand the skills they are looking for. Read over the mark scheme carefully and any good revision guides you can find for your specification.

Hope this helps! GCSEs can be really rewarding and interesting and actually quite fun if you start working slowly but calmly from the start. (For example for my year 11 exams I started my own private work from pretty much day one in a casual way and then became a lot more intense just before exams).

Good Luck!
Thank you for the advice x

Posted from TSR Mobile
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lolaaks)
If they said they got a 10a in English...
Then they would be lying, because there is no 10a in the system.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (67)
66.34%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
20.79%
Yes but I might change my mind (13)
12.87%

Watched Threads