The Student Room Group

Current Nurse/Midwife and Student Nurse/Midwife - Ask Me Anything thread masterlist

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Audiology-Med
how hard is the literacy and numeracy test you have to do before doing the nursing degree

If you have a GCSE a C level then i recon you shouldnt have any problem. The english tests can vary between writing short essays to show that you can do extended writing to things that test things like spelling and grammar.
Maths is things like can you convert between metric units and multiplications and divisions, finding volumes of things. Nothing to worry about i d say.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PaediatricStN
Hi,

They are generally about GCSE standard, if that. They primarily involve addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, as well as percentages, ratios and very basic drug calculations. Some universities offer sample papers on their websites, which although they might not be the unis you are interested in, they will still help you get a feel for the sort of standard you can expect.

Hope that helps!
Joel

you beat me to it, joel:P
Original post by claireestelle
you beat me to it, joel:P

Mwuhahahaha :P
Mwuhahahaha :P

if only i could type faster i d have beat you to it:P
@Audiology-Med
Which branch are you thinking of doing? :smile:
Mental health nursing:smile: All basically comes down to wanting to contribute to society, to help people with mental health in their recovery, fight the stigma and discrimination patients encounter (i could go on forever to be honest). you got better gcses than me, scrapped a c in english:P.
I d say get experience with mothers and babys and then try to get experience with children and adults and mental health too. ( bit difficult to do but if you give everything a try then it should help you massively with your decision). Midwifery and childrens nursing have the least places but if that's what you want to be then you should go for it.

Thank you! That sounds great i definitely enjoyed doing psychology and going over the issues with diagnosing mental illness. Even though i found all my a level subjects interesting doing tests never suited me. Coursework has always been my strength. I definitely want to try out everything as getting into university for nursing and midwifery is so difficult i really have to stand out. Thank you so much for all your answers. good luck with everything 😊 x
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lila-Sara
Thank you! That sounds great i definitely enjoyed doing psychology and going over the issues with diagnosing mental illness. Even though i found all my a level subjects interesting doing tests never suited me. Coursework has always been my strength. I definitely want to try put everything as getting into university for nursing and midwifery is so difficult i really have to stand out. Thank you so much for all your answers. good luck with everything 😊 x

no problem:smile: I m not great with tests either myself. It is difficult to get in but get yourself plenty of experience and write a brilliant personal statement and you ll be half way there:smile: If you need some help when you re applying then you re always welcome to send me a message:smile:
@Audiology-Med
Which branch are you thinking of doing? :smile:

I was thinking maybe Mental Health or Child nurse, I withdrew from my firm so I could enter clearing, I really want a degree which lets me work in the NHS and has lots of patient contact so I think a nursing degree would be really good to have but the only thing which stops me applying is the test, even though I got a B in maths at GCSE I cant remember any of it.
I was thinking maybe Mental Health or Child nurse, I withdrew from my firm so I could enter clearing, I really want a degree which lets me work in the NHS and has lots of patient contact so I think a nursing degree would be really good to have but the only thing which stops me applying is the test, even though I got a B in maths at GCSE I cant remember any of it.

I have something that may help you with the tests. Want me to PM you?
I have something that may help you with the tests. Want me to PM you?

Yes please that would be really helpful thank you :smile:

I m going to be doing mental health and @PaediatricStN is a 3rd year childrens nurse so between us one of us could help you.
Clearing is very restrictive with nursing places especially children's. I did my gcses in 2011 and still did well on the entry tests so really wouldn't let that stop you applying at all:smile:
Yes please that would be really helpful thank you :smile:

Ok will do. And of course, any other questions, feel free to ask me or Claire :smile:
I m going to be doing mental health and @PaediatricStN is a 3rd year childrens nurse so between us one of us could help you.
Clearing is very restrictive with nursing places especially children's. I did my gcses in 2011 and still did well on the entry tests so really wouldn't let that stop you applying at all:smile:

Thanks Claire. I'm tending to go with the term "Nearly qualified" now, as I like it more lol :wink:
Thanks Claire. I'm tending to go with the term "Nearly qualified" now, as I like it more lol :wink:

sorry, nearly qualified it is :wink:
sorry, nearly qualified it is :wink:

No need to apologise. Just me getting over-excited about my new title!!!! :colondollar:
No need to apologise. Just me getting over-excited about my new title!!!! :colondollar:

perfectly understandable, i feel like i m waiting too long to be a student nurse, only 51 days to go:P
perfectly understandable, i feel like i m waiting too long to be a student nurse, only 51 days to go:P

PRSOM
Reply 77
Just wondering if anyone can help me.

I have a place at University of Leeds for Children's Nursing starting September. I am a mature student and I am just currently working out my finances.

I am not going to have the luxury of not having to work during my degree and will for definite need to pick up shifts as a bank HCA. As someone who has been working whilst completing a part time foundation degree I hope this will set me in good stead for the time management aspect of doing this.

I know that people all pick up different numbers of hours depending on situation etc so it is hard to get a definitive answer but I just wanted to know from peoples personal experiences how many hours people have been able to pick up (roughly) and the sort of money they get for hourly rate (or how much they get monthly if they don't mind sharing this information on a public forum).#

Many thanks from a stressed out future student who is unsure how he will make ends meet...
Original post by PDizzle
Just wondering if anyone can help me.

I have a place at University of Leeds for Children's Nursing starting September. I am a mature student and I am just currently working out my finances.

I am not going to have the luxury of not having to work during my degree and will for definite need to pick up shifts as a bank HCA. As someone who has been working whilst completing a part time foundation degree I hope this will set me in good stead for the time management aspect of doing this.

I know that people all pick up different numbers of hours depending on situation etc so it is hard to get a definitive answer but I just wanted to know from peoples personal experiences how many hours people have been able to pick up (roughly) and the sort of money they get for hourly rate (or how much they get monthly if they don't mind sharing this information on a public forum).#

Many thanks from a stressed out future student who is unsure how he will make ends meet...

Hiya
I did my first shift for bank on Saturday as I have only finished my placement today and don't want to work whilst on placement.

I get £7 something an hour monday-friday day.
I get £10.74 p.h for nights and saturday days.
And £14.00 p.h for Sundays and bank holidays.

The pay varies from trust to trust, so it may differ where you live.

Hope that helps x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Original post by Sophi12
Hiya
I did my first shift for bank on Saturday as I have only finished my placement today and don't want to work whilst on placement.

I get £7 something an hour monday-friday day.
I get £10.74 p.h for nights and saturday days.
And £14.00 p.h for Sundays and bank holidays.

The pay varies from trust to trust, so it may differ where you live.

Hope that helps x

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is really helpful thank you. How flexible do they tend to be around the hours? How many are you hoping to fit in around studies?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending