Edexcel M4 Exam Discussion Thread [June 5th] Watch

Vesniep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by physicsmaths)
I am just taking an extra unit. Ive learnt parts of M4 and M5. My Maths and FM alevel is made up of these modules
C1 C2 C3 C4 S1 S1 FP1 FP2 FP3 M1-3
I already have 100 in M2 so I only need 85 in two more A2 modules which I should get easily in FP2 and FP3 M3.
Posted from TSR Mobile
I wish you good luck. It would be awful to take S in STEP papers and fail in your A levels. Cambridge is waiting for you...
physicsmaths
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Vesniep)
I wish you good luck. It would be awful to take S in STEP papers and fail in your A levels. Cambridge is waiting for you...
I can't see myself getting less then 95 in any module. Physics is the pain as I want the A* in that. Good luck to you aswell If i recall correctly you are also taking STEP I this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vesniep
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by physicsmaths)
I can't see myself getting less then 95 in any module. Physics is the pain as I want the A* in that. Good luck to you aswell If i recall correctly you are also taking STEP I this year?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, for Cambridge Math,just like you.I also learned that taking a 2 in STEP1 wouldn't be a problem(although i never took this mark,I usually take high 1 grades-low S)How lucky you are (of course genius too,in order to cope with STEP2,3 papers ).
Isn't physics easier than Further Maths??I only give math and futher maths modules,so please tell me how difficult is Physics in Alevels(I will sit this next year,if I pass interview ).
physicsmaths
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, for Cambridge Math,just like you.I also learned that taking a 2 in STEP1 wouldn't be a problem(although i never took this mark,I usually take high 1 grades-low S)How lucky you are (of course genius too,in order to cope with STEP2,3 papers ).
Isn't physics easier than Further Maths??I only give math and futher maths modules,so please tell me how difficult is Physics in Alevels(I will sit this next year,if I pass interview ).
For me physics is harder the FM. The A* grade is difficult becasue the boundaries are very small formmagrin of error and a few marks can cost alot of UMS. It is definately doable though and a very usefuk subject to have under your belt. Also if you can do M1-2 the mechanics is a joke(really easy) in physics.
You just need a bit if time to adjust your sights to STEP II and III and if you can cope with STEP I in Yr 12 you will probably be able to handle II and III come next year. Hope you get the S in STEP I, work hard!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gawain
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone have any resources for Relative motion or is the book (and past papers) the only place to get questions/notes?
Vesniep
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gawain)
Anyone have any resources for Relative motion or is the book (and past papers) the only place to get questions/notes?
I didn't find anything else.It's really difficult to find recources for this unit
Rainybird
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I finally found you guys!
Anyone doing M5 too?
Vesniep
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rainybird)
I finally found you guys!
Anyone doing M5 too?
Didn't find anyone sitting M5 as a unit(though some people learn a part from this units for STEP).
I'm definitely going to sit this unit next year(year 13) ,as I don't want to sit D's for As FM additional.
Can you please describe what M5 is about?(I only know moments of inertia)
tiny hobbit
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Didn't find anyone sitting M5 as a unit(though some people learn a part from this units for STEP).
I'm definitely going to sit this unit next year(year 13) ,as I don't want to sit D's for As FM additional.
Can you please describe what M5 is about?(I only know moments of inertia)
Variable mass (e.g. rockets ejecting spent fuel), moments of forces in 3 D using vector products, differential equations using vectors, as well as the rotational stuff following on from moments of inertia.
Vesniep
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tiny hobbit)
Variable mass (e.g. rockets ejecting spent fuel), moments of forces in 3 D using vector products, differential equations using vectors, as well as the rotational stuff following on from moments of inertia.
I liked the concepts you described. Definitely sitting this unit next year.
What I know is F=dP/dt=dm/dt*u+ma , that's what I know from school(will we make use of such things?)
...and since mass is not variable in other units dm/dt=0 so F=ma(but that is not true,when the mass is variable)
Thank you a lot,when students need help, you are always there!
Vesniep
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
June 2003 M4 was a good paper,I would recommend it to all M4takers.Grade boundaries were low (62 for 100UMS and 56 for 90 UMS).
Pretty much like June 2009 M3 ,but that's for M4.
M4 is in 12 days from now,so can we start sharing exercises ,do past papers...etc(all the things other threads do have)??
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3353445
Vesniep
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you a lot !
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you a lot !
no worries
Gome44
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone know how to do 6c)?Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432814851.988734.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  85.0 KB
Gome44
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nvm, I've got the answer using dot products, but I'm not really sure why the method works, so if someone could please explain it to me I would be grateful
Gawain
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gome44)
Nvm, I've got the answer using dot products, but I'm not really sure why the method works, so if someone could please explain it to me I would be grateful
First of all, the line of centres is parallel to the impulse received, so in this case (1,1).

As B is moving in the direction of the line of centres, we don't have to bother finding the components parallel to the line. So the approach velocity of B is 3 and separation is 5.

As A is not moving parallel to the lines of centres we have to resolve. The dot product gives us the scalar projection of one vector onto another, in other words a.b resolves a in the direction of b.

So we have to dot the Velocity of A with the direction of the line of centres to know the component of the Velocity of A that acts in that direction. We end up with 9/2 and 7/2 in the direction (1,1)

So e=(5-3.5)/(4.5-3)=1
Gawain
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For question 4 on M4 June 2011 why are the vector triangles of the mark scheme not head to tail? The 'head' of the true velocity of the Wind meets the 'head' of the hiker.
Also the mark scheme doesn't show the vector approach I used but I assume in any relative motion question that either a vector or geometrical approach is permitted?
Gome44
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For question 4 on M4 June 2011 why are the vector triangles of the mark scheme not head to tail? The 'head' of the true velocity of the Wind meets the 'head' of the hiker.
Also the mark scheme doesn't show the vector approach I used but I assume in any relative motion question that either a vector or geometrical approach is permitted?
Thanks for your help. Haven't done that past paper so can't comment on the question, but in the more recent mark-schemes they show all alternate methods, so vector methods should be fine
Vesniep
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think yes.I did it in a different way too,but found exactly the same results. I suppose we would take the marks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.22%
They might tell the bully (34)
9.44%
I don't think they'd understand (55)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (139)
38.61%
There's nothing they could do (106)
29.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise