This discussion is closed.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Yeah.

no, but it gives them the mandate to claim the west are attacking them. But a full-on war would be catastrophic.
A full on war would see us victorious, Islamism must not be appeased.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
A full on war would see us victorious, Islamism must not be appeased.
A full on war like the one in Afghanistan? A war that lasted over a decade, climbing hundreds of British lifes as well as countless Civillians? Yeah, that'll definitely work...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Latest Comres sticks the finger up at Youguv. It gives a 4% Tory lead.

Youguv would have Labour around the majority mark, Comres would have the Tories not far from where they were in 2010.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Youguv would have Labour around the majority mark, Comres would have the Tories not far from where they were in 2010.
And a 5, 7 or 11-13 poll rolling average still gives a dead heat
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I can't see Labour getting even close to a majority. The same with the Tories. I think we'll see a Supply deal for a Minority Govt rather than another Coalition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
A full on war like the one in Afghanistan? A war that lasted over a decade, climbing hundreds of British lifes as well as countless Civillians? Yeah, that'll definitely work...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Define war for me?

The wars in both Iraq and Afghanistan were won in months. What underestimated was the task of occupation without imperial rule (we never really tried to govern the country ourselves and the first governments were a joke). Not only that but your assuming a modern nice war like the aforementioned, make no mistake that if we were prepared to breach UN treaties, we could wipe out every single Islamist in existence (granted people today are more worried about civilians than victory - there's even some lefties around who say Thatcher should not have sunk the Argie ship).
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Define war for me?

The wars in both Iraq and Afghanistan were won in months. What underestimated was the task of occupation without imperial rule (we never really tried to govern the country ourselves and the first governments were a joke). Not only that but your assuming a modern nice war like the aforementioned, make no mistake that if we were prepared to breach UN treaties, we could wipe out every single Islamist in existence (granted people today are more worried about civilians than victory - there's even some lefties around who say Thatcher should not have sunk the Argie ship).
We had soldiers deployed for years in Afghanistan. (I won't go into the Iraq war, as my knowledge of it is fairly poor). My point is, we were fighting the Taliban whilst helping the Afghan's look after themselves for years.

I agree that if we breached UN treaties we'd be in and out in a much shorter space of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
And a 5, 7 or 11-13 poll rolling average still gives a dead heat
Yup.

As i've said before, polls are interesting but it's best to stick with company for your 'official' opinions. I trust ICM as a pollster because i like their methodology so that's the one i go with.

I can't see Labour getting even close to a majority. The same with the Tories. I think we'll see a Supply deal for a Minority Govt rather than another Coalition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As you can see from my sig, i think the Tories will win on votes but that Labour will drop back (though still be around the same on seats).

That being said, recent poll movements have tended to squeeze the minor parties (indeed many polls have more Tory-Labour vote collectively higher than 2010 - so much for the end of 2 party politics).
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Define war for me?

You want genocide and mass civilian casualties?!?!? What, should we just detonate a couple of nukes in the Middle East and then bio-weapon the survivors?
talentedlobster
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
First shots of campaigning fired by David Cameron, 'or you can choose the economic chaos of Ed Miliband'.
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by talentedlobster)
First shots of campaigning fired by David Cameron, 'or you can choose the economic chaos of Ed Miliband'.
They've been doing the "Vote UKIP, get Milliband" for months now
InnerTemple
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Someone should pass a law about this.

Genuine TFL poster improved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Attached files
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by InnerTemple)
Someone should pass a law about this.

Genuine TFL poster improved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Like when I saw this after my failed "Compulsory Vaccinations Bill"
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
... Sometimes the mind just boggles at the stupidity.
talentedlobster
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They've been doing the "Vote UKIP, get Milliband" for months now
I know, but first day of official campaigning hype. #getelected
talentedlobster
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Completely legit, if they don't get their vaccinations they don't die of drugs, and instead have a great death where they die to a deadly disease, which they were offered a cure for.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Afghanistan wasn't a war, British soldiers went in as peace keepers as part of the ISAF, the areas of Afghanistan that we were in, we we seen as liberators and hope for a better future likewise other countries were also seen as liberators. The US were aggressors.

The Iraqi objective was accomplished within 2 months, hell it was more like 1 month based on fall of the Saddam rule.

The insurgency that came after wasn't part of a normal war, it's a war on terror that'll continue no matter where we are or whether we enter a country for war.

We won't win unless we also follow terrorist tactics.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
Afghanistan wasn't a war, British soldiers went in as peace keepers as part of the ISAF, the areas of Afghanistan that we were in, we we seen as liberators and hope for a better future likewise other countries were also seen as liberators. The US were aggressors.

The Iraqi objective was accomplished within 2 months, hell it was more like 1 month based on fall of the Saddam rule.

The insurgency that came after wasn't part of a normal war, it's a war on terror that'll continue no matter where we are or whether we enter a country for war.

We won't win unless we also follow terrorist tactics.
Peace keepers with guns, shooting people?

And as I said before, I won't speak about Iraq as I dont know enough about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
2 hours now!!!
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
2 hours now!!!
Until what?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24%
No (323)
76%

Watched Threads