If you're earning less than £30,000 per year you may as well be on the dole PROOF! Watch

scrunkie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by there's too much love)
I think a lot of people in this thread don't seem to understand that if you live in the south east rent is very expensive. I was living in a studio, all bills included, for £900 a month. I've just moved out of London, still in the south east, and I'm now on £700 a month, no bills included.

And it's now already a lot harder to find a job:/
Sorry to say this but you're being BUMPED. Even in the South East, even in London you can find studio flats cheaper than £700pm, you're just not looking very hard or you want to live in a great area. You sacrifice some things you can pay way less. It's the lifestyle you choose to lead, I know people living in London who pay £200/300pm

Posted from TSR Mobile
there's too much love
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by scrunkie)
Sorry to say this but you're being BUMPED. Even in the South East, even in London you can find studio flats cheaper than £700pm, you're just not looking very hard or you want to live in a great area. You sacrifice some things you can pay way less. It's the lifestyle you choose to lead, I know people living in London who pay £200/300pm

Posted from TSR Mobile
The only places we could find to pay less for our studio was to pay even more in transport costs.

The only people I know who pay £350 ish a month in London are people are in house shares AND are towards the ends of tube lines.
scrunkie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The only places we could find to pay less for our studio was to pay even more in transport costs.

The only people I know who pay £350 ish a month in London are people are in house shares AND are towards the ends of tube lines.
tbf, if you want to live in zone 1/2 then that's your issue, don't say everyone in London pays what you pay because you want to live right in the centre. What do you expect?
there's too much love
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by scrunkie)
tbf, if you want to live in zone 1/2 then that's your issue, don't say everyone in London pays what you pay because you want to live right in the centre. What do you expect?
Never lived in either zone, I've lived in zones 3, 4 and 4. Thanks for the ad hom. attack though.
Michael_Real
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by J-SP)
That £12 difference a day would be £84 a week.

Having £84 spare at the end of the week versus trying to live off of £72 a week job seekers (that's got to pay for your utility bills, food etc) already seems like a far more attractive option to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Couldn't have said it any better^^ £84 spare every week is more than good for a lot if people!
In terms of rent, it depends where you want to live! I live in South East London and am paying 600 for a 1 bedroom flat! My cousin is living in Sheffield and pays 500 for a 3bedroom with a pretty decent view of the city.

Posted from TSR Mobile
somethingbeautiful
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just to add my 2 cents to the rent debate going on here....

There are plenty of £400-500 per month terraced houses to rent in my hometown but they are in very bad areas. When I say 'very bad', I'm talking burglary/gangs/violence/can't go out after dark type of thing. There are some cities with really troubled places and yes, the rent might be low - but there's a reason why that's the case. I would rather shell out more of my income on renting somewhere that might actually be smaller but is in a better area where I don't feel like I'm going to get mugged on the way home or get home to find my house burgled.
username1370718
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Never lived in either zone, I've lived in zones 3, 4 and 4. Thanks for the ad hom. attack though.
You should be able to find places around the £400-£500 mark in zone 4 in that case if you flat/houseshare.
icdjabtjk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
renting a house which costs £700pm when you could be buying a house with a mortgage of £400pm.. good idea.
icdjabtjk
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by J-SP)
Not everyone can afford to get a deposit together to buy a house. That's the main reason most continue to rent - that and their finances/credit rating make it almost impossible to get a mortgage.

People have got to stop comparing renting/to a mortgage in threads like this. It really isn't as simple as making a choice to rent or commit to a mortgage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you cant afford £10,000 for a deposit then £400pm for a mortgage then it is not a very good idea to rent somewhere for £700pm in my opinion and you'd only have your own bad financial management to blame for your financial situation.
icdjabtjk
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by J-SP)
A £10k deposit is a pretty low estimate unless you are talking about certain pockets of the UK. If the average house price is about £250k then you are usually looking at a £50k deposit.

Some people don't have a choice. They have to live close to where they work (for instance those on shift patterns that expect you to be on call - especially seen in hospitals and the like) and this can lead to paying crazy amounts of rent. Others may have to live close due to family commitments (looking after elderly parents), and others purposely live in certain areas knowing it helps to get their kids into good schools which in itself increases house prices and rent.

Making sweeping statements about people being bad at financial management just because of their rationale to rent somewhere (or take out a mortgage) is crazy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
got two friends who both have their own houses both paying around 400pm mortgage one paid 10k and one 15 or 20k deposit. Both houses decent and in the cheshire area. 50k deposit is something you'd only choose to do if you had the money to hand. It's a lot easier to buy a house than you think if you want to. Myself last place I rented was £60pw. Paying £700pw rent as a single person would be a terrible financial decision imo but it's a choice to live and work in these areas and pay so much.
lyrical_lie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just a quick point in regards to the rent. London is extremely expensive, landlords take the piss I was paying 650inc bills for a tiny bedroom in a 5 bedroom flat share. I had to travel about an hour to work every day and my travel card was about £120pm. I had to move to London as that's where the jobs are. If I had a chance to stay in Glasgow, with lovely 500pm rent for a gorgeous flat I would have. So 700 isn't too unrealistic. But I agree that's not really the main point of this thread.
icdjabtjk
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
in reality

benefits

£332pm allowance.

£ rent paid for (and lets assume council tax is also though I know that most on benefits do actually have to pay a somewhat reduced council tax)

£150pm spent on food
£60pm spent on gas and electric
£25pm spent on water bill

Leftovers = 97pm or £22pw.. which would typically be spend on things like transport, mobile credit, going out, new clothes etc, or saved up if you really want to buy something like you could save up half of it for 40 weeks if you wanted to buy a £400 computer or something.

Someone on £25k a year

£20,000 after tax
£1667pm allowance

£300pm spent on rent
£75pm spent on council tax bill
£150pm spent on food

Leftovers = £1057pm to be spent on things like owning a car, saving up for things, buying things you want etc.
icdjabtjk
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by J-SP)
To put things into perspective, you couldn't even pay for on street parking in my road for less than £60 a week and renting a secure garage could be up to £400 a month, so think what property rents and house prices are like!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well that is the choice to live in an expensive area, I mean I am paying £120pw rent atm and the last place I lived was £60pm.. but that's my choice and I only decided I was happy to do so because I got quite a lot of bursaries and grants to study, I am aware I could pay £50pw not that far from where I'm living and commute a little if I wanted to.
icdjabtjk
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lyrical_lie)
Just a quick point in regards to the rent. London is extremely expensive, landlords take the piss I was paying 650inc bills for a tiny bedroom in a 5 bedroom flat share. I had to travel about an hour to work every day and my travel card was about £120pm. I had to move to London as that's where the jobs are. If I had a chance to stay in Glasgow, with lovely 500pm rent for a gorgeous flat I would have. So 700 isn't too unrealistic. But I agree that's not really the main point of this thread.
Well if you were moving somewhere to find work I'd suggest manchester.. birmingham.. other big cities where it's actually cheap to live! I agree london seems crazy to me as well.
lyrical_lie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by wsxcde)
Well if you were moving somewhere to find work I'd suggest manchester.. birmingham.. other big cities where it's actually cheap to live! I agree london seems crazy to me as well.
I did try that,trust me, I applied everywhere but beggars can't be choosers in the job hunting world. I really wanted to stay in Glasgow but there were no jobs in the sector I wanted. Luckily I managed to get a wardening job at the uni I work at so now I get free accomodation so it worked out for the best.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by wsxcde)
in reality

benefits

£332pm allowance.

£ rent paid for (and lets assume council tax is also though I know that most on benefits do actually have to pay a somewhat reduced council tax)

£150pm spent on food

Leftovers = 97pm or £22pw.. which would typically be spend on things like transport, mobile credit, going out, new clothes etc, or saved up if you really want to buy something like you could save up half of it for 40 weeks if you wanted to buy a £400 computer or something.

Someone on £25k a year

£20,000 after tax
£1667pm allowance

£300pm spent on rent
£75pm spent on council tax bill
£150pm spent on food

Leftovers = £1057pm to be spent on things like owning a car, saving up for things, buying things you want etc.
Assuming no kids.
icdjabtjk
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Assuming no kids.
yes this example is for 1 single person living alone because the original post was about that. Many working people can get child benefits and things so if you are working and on £25k a year dont think you couldnt get help with your child.
NX172
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1. Find salary job near home
2. Live with parents
3. Save for 2 years
4. ???
5. Buy house. Take in lodgers.
6. Profit
IcEmAn911
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Brb whilst I hand in my notice at work...
M1011
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
London isn't that expensive, people making out like you need to be rich!

IF you have a decent job 25k+, London is manageable. 35k+ = easy

People also tend to forget that there tends to be a weighting on London salaries to make up for the cost of living.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads