Turn on thread page Beta

Doctors are not paid enough watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really in Medicine to try and earn lots of money - I think doctors get paid decently, it's enough to live a comfortable life and I'm fine with that. What I'm not fine with, however, is the way that the media makes out that doctors get paid astronomical amounts of money, when in actual fact they don't.

Definitely think nurses deserve a pay rise, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tania<3)
    I'm not really in Medicine to try and earn lots of money - I think doctors get paid decently, it's enough to live a comfortable life and I'm fine with that. What I'm not fine with, however, is the way that the media makes out that doctors get paid astronomical amounts of money, when in actual fact they don't.

Definitely think nurses deserve a pay rise, though.
    Think I told you before (And the other docs) that you guys defs deserve more, however as you guys work for the NHS, it's harder to justify higher wages unfortunately. The newspapers are ********s like that tbh, but then I think it's not always a bad thing too. Most doctors won't be motivated by money in this country, but some will be, and then you at least get more doctors training here

The media does overplay how much docs get paid tbh, and tbh, the way I see it is if you're qualified to be a doc, you're probably able to go in to other jobs too, where you can actually earn even more money. And tbh, that's what I like about medics in the UK. The fact that you guys generally don't go in it for the money, which makes the general public trust doctors more than say the United States.

Didn't nurses not even get a 1% rise? Yet politicians got a 10% rise in pay?

(Original post by Nottie)
    Meh, I'd happily mark tests and essays in my free time, regardless the pay.
    Sometimes I think I would make far better teacher than a doctor.
    So would I. But it's not even the marking, half the work you have to do is completely pointless and irrelevant. And it's the principal that you are so under-appreciated for your work that is the real downer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etomidate)
    I may be shooting myself in the foot here, but I think the pay is actually pretty reasonable.

Ultimately, an NHS doctor will live a comfortable life with an income far beyond that of the national average. The employment is secure, the salary rises are (generally) predictable and incremental. And, importantly, they work for a public system.

I would, perhaps, see some of the perks of being a junior doctor returned, as these were used as justification for the low starting salary.

Comparing a public worker salary to those in private, supply & demand industry is a little silly.
    I would agree with this. They are public sector workers at the end of the day.I could,in theory do the same job for the public sector, but Id certainly expect to be paid less than I would privately. The gov't doesn't have infinite money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friar Chris)
    Who aren't as important or irreplaceable as the teachers' unions constantly make out.

All the terrified hype about 'untrained' teachers in schools? People without formal teaching qualifications have been doing so for years and years; the lies and whining about 'oh think of the children' is merely teachers with teaching degrees trying to protect their monopoly on teaching jobs so that there isn't as much competition in the market for their employment.
    With all due fairness, Chris, most teachers are effectively working say..60 hours/week instead of their contracted 40 hours/week because of preparation, marking, yadda yadda

The average teacher salary is £34,000

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7372058.stm

Which isn't TOO bad, but they are working more than their contracted hours. Though they aren't as qualified as doctors, so it SORTA balances out I guess

ReputationRep:
    Its all related to supply and demand..
    Yeah, I do think its unfair for doctors to earn less than footballers but society obviously doesn't. If everyone stopped watching football they (footballers) would be on minimum wage very soon lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Internet)
    Think I told you before (And the other docs) that you guys defs deserve more, however as you guys work for the NHS, it's harder to justify higher wages unfortunately. The newspapers are ********s like that tbh, but then I think it's not always a bad thing too. Most doctors won't be motivated by money in this country, but some will be, and then you at least get more doctors training here

The media does overplay how much docs get paid tbh, and tbh, the way I see it is if you're qualified to be a doc, you're probably able to go in to other jobs too, where you can actually earn even more money. And tbh, that's what I like about medics in the UK. The fact that you guys generally don't go in it for the money, which makes the general public trust doctors more than say the United States.

Didn't nurses not even get a 1% rise? Yet politicians got a 10% rise in pay?
    It also means people feel its okay to say we gonna make bad doctors if our character isn't perfect. Because people know most of us do it because we want to cure, and not because of the good pay they also think we must be perfect in every aspect of life, an example to the society and every flaw is pointed out to us. (Or at least to me.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    It also means people feel its okay to say we gonna make bad doctors if our character isn't perfect. Because people know most of us do it because we want to cure, and not because of the good pay they also think we must be perfect in every aspect of life, an example to the society and every flaw is pointed out to us. (Or at least to me.)
    I don't think that at all. You can be an ********, and still be really good at your job! - whatever job that may be (Unless you're in PR. Don't be an ******** and work in PR)

ReputationRep:
    Is the industry failing to attract sufficiently able candidates?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Internet)
    I don't think that at all. You can be an ********, and still be really good at your job! - whatever job that may be (Unless you're in PR. Don't be an ******** and work in PR)
    they you are a nice exception :P. But even my bf told me he started dating me cause he thought I'm going to be strong and independent since I'm doing medicine. And it turned out I am mentally fragile and can't handle a spider in my room (can't even handle getting rid of it on my own without getting bad panic attact) so he was kind of disappointed.
    Also people expect me to be nice all the time and generally spread love and peace although I have lots of politically uncorrect beliefs (in the UK, back home my opinions are fine and even viewed as too liberal lol)

ReputationRep:
    Dr Dre would beg to differ...

ReputationRep:
    May i ask how much you guys actually think doctors get paid in the first place

ReputationRep:
    About 70k.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This might be a bit rich coming from someone who's going to do investment banking, but I'd say that their current salary does attract loads of people who want to make money. I agree, we need more doctors, but at the same time we need GOOD doctors. It's not good to have people who care more about the money than the nature of their work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    The maintenance loan gets cut in half after year 4 - you're expect to live on £1600 per year. Many medical courses assume you have a car additionally, adding huge expense. You'd struggle to do medicine if from a poorer background.
    Interested to find out more - I don't know much about the practicalities of medical study. What is a car needed for? Practical experience in hospitals/clinics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Most Competitive)
    This might be a bit rich coming from someone who's going to do investment banking, but I'd say that their current salary does attract loads of people who want to make money. I agree, we need more doctors, but at the same time we need GOOD doctors. It's not good to have people who care more about the money than the nature of their work.
    Nothing rich (ho ho) about that. People go into IB for the money, and there's not much wrong with that. But people tasked with safeguarding public health shouldn't have the salary at the forefront of their minds, in my opinion.

Of course, this isn't to say doctors shouldn't be adequately compensated. It's a tough job which requires years of dedicated study to even enter.

ReputationRep:
    I would rather the UK invest in education for nurses and doctors, lowing fees and higher mantanice grants, rather than stealing people they have not had to invest in from overseas

ReputationRep:
    Doctors get paid enough. Stop complaining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Nothing rich (ho ho) about that. People go into IB for the money, and there's not much wrong with that. But people tasked with safeguarding public health shouldn't have the salary at the forefront of their minds, in my opinion.

Of course, this isn't to say doctors shouldn't be adequately compensated. It's a tough job which requires years of dedicated study to even enter.
    Yes, they shouldn't, but the fact that they still do is concerning. For this reason, any such increase in their pay will inevitably compromise the quality of healthcare that our people receive. I mean, who would say no to £100k/year?

I also agree that (good) doctors should be compensated, but there are other considerations that must be made too.

ReputationRep:
    i absolutely hate it when stupid people say, oh, but they should love helping people so money isnt important. they need a salary, and as many have said, should be paid so much more than what they are paid now.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.