Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushto)
    They would've had a majority but only by about 6% which labour would easily be able to match teaming up with another party.
    OK fair enough. It might have been a SLIGHT majority, however it would still be a majority. Tbh, the only parties who actually campaigned for PR before the elections were the lib dems and the greens. UKIP wanted AV, so they can't whine really!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    What's more, under AV these scumbags' sworn enemy, UKIP, would have held the balance of power.

So what exactly do they want? Dictatorship of the proletariat? Or plain old dictatorship?
    I wouldn't say sworn enemy when about 12% of the population voted for them.
    To be honest I don't think anyone (30 odd percent) really wants AV and the AV proposed in 2011 was actually worse than FPTP because essentially it was still FPTP but slightly less representative of votes than it is at the moment. A big mistake I have seen from people recently is countering people who say they want PR by saying that there was an AV referendum which lost considerably, them thinking that AV is PR when it's not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushto)
    I wouldn't say sworn enemy when about 12% of the population voted for them.
    To be honest I don't think anyone (30 odd percent) really wants AV and the AV proposed in 2011 was actually worse than FPTP because essentially it was still FPTP but slightly less representative of votes than it is at the moment. A big mistake I have seen from people recently is countering people who say they want PR by saying that there was an AV referendum which lost considerably, them thinking that AV is PR when it's not.
    I was talking about the people waving SWP placards, not the general population.

Anyway if we had PR, which the protesters appear to advocate (though obviously they really just want plain old dictatorship), we would have a UKIP-Conservative coalition right now.

ReputationRep:
    The left lost and now they're crying.

ReputationRep:
    Finding it interesting to see that it is mainly Tory supporters commenting on this thread, pretty much attacking any other comment that doesn't comply with their own view.

Yes it was wrong for someone to vandalise a war memorial, however most people protesting aren't commies throwing a tantrum because they didn't get the person they didn't want in. They're protesting because they don't agree with the voting system and they don't understand how Conservatives achieved the majority that they did based on the percentages of votes.

However, the main issue for me is with those who didn't vote at all, and I'm assuming many of them now aren't happy with the elected government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BubblyBumblebee)
    FThey're protesting because they don't agree with the voting system and they don't understand how Conservatives achieved the majority that they did based on the percentages of votes.
    But then did the Conservative voters (and left/Labour supports too tbf) riot in 2005 when Labour got a majority with a lower percentage of the vote than the Conservatives?

If we had PR, which I'd like, the only difference would be you'd have Con-Ukip...which tbh those protesting would probably dislike even more.

ReputationRep:
    Finding it interesting to see that it is mainly Tory supporters commenting on this thread, pretty much attacking any other comment that doesn't comply with their own view.

Yes it was wrong for someone to vandalise a war memorial, however most people protesting aren't commies throwing a tantrum because they didn't get the person they didn't want in. They're protesting because they don't agree with the voting system and they don't understand how Conservatives achieved the majority that they did based on the percentages of votes.

However, the main issue for me is with those who didn't vote at all, and I'm assuming many of them now aren't happy with the elected government.
    Most of them are commies, though.

It is very amusing to see them protesting so heavily in favour of a system which would have given UKIP 13% of the seats, considering that for the past few years they have done everything in their power to deny the party a platform, proclaiming themselves to be "anti-fascists".

Their Anti-Tory manifesto is cracking stuff:

1. If you see a Tory, pin a rosette on them so we know who to kick in the street.
    2. Never shake hands with a Tory.
    3. Never buy or accept a drink from a Tory.
    4. If one of your friends is a Tory, de-friend them and encourage your other friends to do the same.
    5. If you meet a Tory in public, name and shame them.
    6. If you know a Tory at work, start a campaign to get them fired from their job.
    7. If your boss or teacher is a Tory, expose them to your colleagues and demand they leave their post on the grounds of moral incompetence.
    8. Refuse to work for a Tory or, if that jeopardises your livelihood, sabotage the benefits they gain from your work (piss in their soup, overcharge them at the checkout, poor [sic] sugar in their petrol tank, sow salt on their garden, saw through supporting structures, etc.)
    9. Never ever show respect for the property of a Tory . . .
    10. Don’t engage with Tory trolls on social media. If they don’t understand the fundamental obscenity of their beliefs you’re wasting your time.
    11. Stop reading or watching Tory-backed media and entertainment that depicts the working classes as competing monkeys obsessed with celebrity and fame.
    12. The 24% of the electorate that voted Tory are our Enemy. They support a minority government that is waging a violent economic and ideological War against us, and we must fight back!
    13. The wealthiest 20% of our population is 10 times richer than the poorest 20%. It is they, along with the class traitors (cops, city boys, estate agents, etc), that make up the Tory electorate.
    14. Exacerbate, at every opportunity, the opposition between Them and Us.
    15. Scratch a Liberal and they’ll bleed Tory (see the comments below).
    16. This is Civil War.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    wait is this a sharia protest against democracy or just angry voters? if so I do sympathise with them, although you must realise that no one would have voted a left-wing government as it would only add up to 35%(snp+lab). If it was properly elected by the people the only option would have been ukip+con at 50%
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    I was talking about the people waving SWP placards, not the general population.

Anyway if we had PR, which the protesters appear to advocate (though obviously they really just want plain old dictatorship), we would have a UKIP-Conservative coalition right now.
    That's what the people voted for, but we get a conservative majority. Oh well.

ReputationRep:

Right, so these people would still be making the same fuss if Labour had got in in the same way? Like in 2005? I don't think so. I'm sure they wouldn't be happy with a Conservative-UKIP coalition that would represent half of those who voted.

UKIP also want to see a change to the voting system, but their supporters aren't the students/vagrants/communists who were in London yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SBKA)
    Does not even look that bad to be honest.
    You're presumably aware that there are pressure points behind the bottom of the ear and at the base of the thumb that the police are targeting there. Force applies to those areas would be pretty damn painful.

ReputationRep:
    Move it to East London and we can all enjoy laughing at rioters again. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meyrin)
    Yes, how idiotic, showing anger that a party who used fear tactics to get back into power through an unfair voting system will soon be penalising the poor and vulnerable once again.

So very idiotic.
    They weren't protesting the means, they were protesting the result. A Labour-SNP coalition under proportional representation still would not have beaten the Tories in this election.

ReputationRep:
    rioting will get you no where, it is not the correct way to go about it...

The south needs to become politically engaged. you're a nation split down the middle.

Scotland had to do it and the south must now adapt the same attitude and get out there and get campaigning, because if the result didn't go your way then these rioters must start to become grassroot soldiers.

Get out and campaign, stand outside uni's, set up street stalls, leaflet drop, knock doors,, This is the only way forward.

ReputationRep:
    These weren't riots. Protest is a legitimate tool in a democracy. How did women get the vote? Were there any arrests? Read widely but, of course, reject the Daily Mail : http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/th...tens-tea-daily
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Just read about all this today and it's so pathetic and childish. Where were all these protests in the run up to the election? I don't recall seeing any riots or complaints about our ''broken'' system in 2005 either, when Labour were elected with just a 35% share of the vote :rolleyes: Even the PR system they all crave for would have produced a CON/UKIP coalition which would have been even worse. Imagine Farage as deputy PM.

I wouldn't expect anything else really. There's a strong sense of entitlement amongst young people today, did half of those people on the streets yesterday even bother to vote? A lot of lefties were moaning on Thursday about people only acting in their own interests etc... isn't that exactly what they're doing here? Didn't get their own way so they've just thrown their toys out of the pram.

Oh and whoever defaced the war memorial should be locked up for at least 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    That's what the people voted for, but we get a conservative majority. Oh well.
    My point is that even if we had PR these idiots would still be protesting. Thus, what they really want is dictatorship, not democracy.

ReputationRep:
    The irony is that the women whom the memorial commemorates probably were some of those who didn't vote Conservative in 1945, when the post-war Clement Attlee led Labour government came in and introduced the National Health Service and many other reforms.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2015/05...-Conservatives

London scene of anti-Tories rallyThousands of protesters have marched on the Conservatives' campaign HQ, parliament, Downing Street and are now marching through central London.According to Press TV's correspondent in London, Narges Moballeghi, the protesters are angry that a party with only about 37% of the vote has a majority in government.

They say the Tory's will destroy the country even further in the next five years with austerity and the dismantling of public services leaving the poor even more worse offThere have already been scuffles with police and there is a heavy police presence across central London.

ReputationRep:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.