Turn on thread page Beta

Look at my beauutiful BLACK people graduating from HBCU's today.... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.I.P)
    Not really... Interested why you feel it differs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because black peoples history in america is different to the UK, therefore the challenges faced are also different. The racism in the UK is more subtle and institutionalised whereas in America it seems very blatant. Though there are plenty of similarities, I just feel that this post serves little purpose on here since we dont have segregated universities in the UK so seems unnecessary and better suited on an american forum

ReputationRep:
    It's disturbing to care so much about one's race. You're not special, you're like everybody else. Just because your ancestors may have made great contributions it doesn't mean that you have. You can't harbour the achievements or the failures of your ancestors or people, you are you and nothing else. I don't care if my great grandfather slaughtered thousands of innocent people, I'm not responsible for his actions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAbyss)
    Why is it so hard for you to understand that black pride and white pride cannot be compared because they have different histories and connotations. Black people were enslaved, killed, oppressed and encountered horrific atrocities for centuries caused by white people. Hence black pride is used to empower an oppressed minority. Why can you not just try to see things from other points of view instead of getting upset that you are not included. This argument about white pride infuriates me beyond belief.
    There's nothing wrong with being comfortable in your own skin. That's perfectly justified IMO. I realise nothing will ever justify slavery or the aftermath of it in the west (nothing will) but to pretend that the white man is the sole perpetrator of discrimination because of slavery is deluded. Virtually every civilisation has embraced slavery at one point, even the ancient egyptians who were considered highly advanced for their time relied on slavery as a crutch. Too early for you? How about the indian caste system and the arab slave trade?

I do think black people should be allowed to learn about their history should they wish. Making segregated schools is not the solution though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meyrin)
    That second paragraph is more than disturbing.

You are quite literally the black equivalent of the KKK, and your minority status doesn't excuse the fact you're a hopelessly deluded racist.
    The KKK attacked, lynched and killed thousands black people. They burnt houses, churches with black people aswell killing black politicans and taking their heads to their families. Whilst I also dislike the posters comments, Please do not compare the poster's dislike/hate of interracial marriage to the KKK.

ReputationRep:
    The KKK attacked, lynched and killed thousands black people. They burnt houses, churches with black people aswell killing black politicans and taking their heads to their families. Whilst I also dislike the posters comments, Please do not compare the poster's dislike/hate of interracial marriage to the KKK.
    I'm talking about their attitudes. OP is more pro-segregration than most hardcore KKK members.

ReputationRep:
    He means the modern incarnation of it. Although the new KKK doesn't kill people, virtually everyone disagrees with them because they're still agree with things like segregation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exon)
    There's nothing wrong with being comfortable in your own skin. That's perfectly justified IMO. I realise nothing will ever justify slavery or the aftermath of it in the west (nothing will) but to pretend that the white man is the sole perpetrator of discrimination because of slavery is deluded. Virtually every civilisation has embraced slavery at one point, even the ancient egyptians who were considered highly advanced for their time relied on slavery as a crutch. Too early for you? How about the indian caste system and the arab slave trade?

I do think black people should be allowed to learn about their history. Making segregated schools is not the solution though.
    It is definitely too early especially in america when unarmed black people are shot by police officers at an alarming rate and even the president of the country has no power or control on the matter. America has deep rooted racial issues to the point where it is necessary to have segregated schools because most schools discriminate against black students. I know it must be hard to imagine that this discrimination exists especially for someone who doesnt experience it.

I agree segregated school is not the solution in the UK because the racism is more subtle and not to the same extent as in america. However, when black people are still being discriminated against in todays society it is too early to start saying what about white pride, white history, white entertained television? etc

I have never seen so many black people in one place :eek4:

(Original post by Beyoncstan)
    Awesome, kind of like kente. My grandma sent me a shawl before my graduation but I couldn't wear it with the rest of my gown, it wouldn't have fit lol. I think these are even nicer though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beyoncstan)
    Or we just want an education with a (biased by definition) black perspective instead of biased European perspective that undermines our importance and influence to this (this country? you do know that TSR is a British forum, don't you?) country. If I wanted an education that told me my people were uncivilized (It is well-known to both 'whites' and 'blacks' that Africa had complex cultures and civilisations whilst Europeans were scrabbling in the dirt; conversely, Europeans have developed a significant amount of the philosophy, social and economic structures, science, mathematics and art which has formed our modern world, a lot of which Africa had nothing to do with. Bias, either for or against blacks just shows ignorance of the facts) until the mighty European came to rescue us and bring us to this prosperous land of America then I would have went to UGA! Instead I went to A&T and learned that we (as in, the people of your country, not black people alone) built this country from the ground up, gave this country a soul and voice beloved world wide and developed powerful social leaders.
    Fixed all of that for you.

All that, and you actually fail to address the point raised and come back with this auto-response aimed in the general direction of anyone who challenges your response to racial discrimination for consisting of further racial discrimination. Allow me to repeat my point: all-black universities are just a symptom of the underlying fluster-cuck of racial tensions which permeate your national psyche, not a 'progressive step forward' for anyone, since they promote the very thing which black Americans talk about as the bane of their very existence - racial segregation!

And guess what? I'm not white.

ReputationRep:
    It is definitely too early especially in america when black people are shot by unarmed police officers at an alarming rate and even the president of the country has no power or control on the matter. America has deep rooted racial issues to the point where it is necessary to have segregated schools because most schools discriminate against black students. I know it must be hard to imagine that this discrimination exists especially for someone who doesnt experience it.

I agree segregated school is not the solution in the UK because the racism is more subtle and not to the same extent as in america. However, when black people are still being discriminated against in todays society it is too early to start saying what about white pride, white history, white entertained television? etc
    Too early was in reference to the ancient egyptians, which might be dismissed as 'happening too long ago'. The other examples were more recent.

I don't find it hard to believe that racism happens. What I do find hard to believe is that segregation will somehow prevent racism.

You're taking my quote out of context sir. I'm not calling for 'white pride', I was making a comparison.

Have you considered the possibility that police brutality itself isn't rising but rather its exposure is? Remember this is the digital age, it's harder to shove things under the rug without the whole world finding out about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    I have never seen so many black people in one place :eek4:

Awesome, kind of like kente. My grandma sent me a shawl before my graduation but I couldn't wear it with the rest of my gown, it wouldn't have fit lol. I think these are even nicer though.
    Kentes are the patterned cloths right?

ReputationRep:
    Because black peoples history in america is different to the UK, therefore the challenges faced are also different. The racism in the UK is more subtle and institutionalised whereas in America it seems very blatant. Though there are plenty of similarities, I just feel that this post serves little purpose on here since we dont have segregated universities in the UK so seems unnecessary and better suited on an american forum
    Fair point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Exon)
    Kentes are the patterned cloths right?
    yep!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exon)
    Too early was in reference to the ancient egyptians, which might be dismissed as 'happening too long ago'. The other examples were more recent.

I don't find it hard to believe that racism happens. What I do find hard to believe is that segregation will somehow prevent racism.

You're taking my quote out of context sir. I'm not calling for 'white pride', I was making a comparison.

Have you considered the possibility that police brutality itself isn't rising but rather its exposure is? Remember this is the digital age, it's harder to shove things under the rug without the whole world finding out about it.
    Thats actually a very good point. You're right its most likely just been exposed by the media more than ever before. The fact that it still happens shows how bad the problem is though. I agree that segregation to prevent racism seems counterproductive but I am assuming the situation over there is so dire that separate schools have been deemed necessary to get more black people into university.

Maybe they should have a better system when it comes to applying for 'college' to make sure each candidates name and race is not known to limit discrimination that way there wont be a need for separate schools. You're right though, it does little to improve race relations

ReputationRep:
    Are there actually segregated colleges in America? Or are they just colleges in black areas, where whites dont really live, as thats a different matter entirely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What particularly is HBCU's purpose? I don't see anything rather than it promoting segregation. And if you're learning anything helpful as a career prospect, you shouldn't care about it's demographics.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I didn't even know it exists... must have never appeared on le rankings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    yep!
    Well that solves one of my many questions. Cheers.

Thats actually a very good point. You're right its most likely just been exposed by the media more than ever before. The fact that it still happens shows how bad the problem is though. I agree that segregation to prevent racism seems counterproductive but I am assuming the situation over there is so dire that separate schools have been deemed necessary to get more black people into university. Maybe they should have a better system when it comes to applying for 'college' to make sure each candidates name and race is not known to limit discrimination that way there wont be a need for separate schools. You're right though, it does little to improve race relations
    So you'd assign people ID codes, which are then revealed to colleges after admissions? Doesn't seem unreasonable actually. It would prevent both racial discrimination and affirmative action in one fell swoop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bishopdon123)
    Because black people are mainly shown in a negative light by the media thus are perceived to all be drug dealers/thieves etc.

This shows this is not the case, they are completing their education and bettering themselves, giving their future kids the best chance available too by graduating and being able to work in a higher/better paid job.

Any other reasons required?
    Can someone with a degree not be a drug dealer or a thief? Talk about stereotyping...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperion)
    What particularly is HBCU's purpose? I don't see anything rather than it promoting segregation. And if you're learning anything helpful as a career prospect, you shouldn't care about it's demographics.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I didn't even know it exists... must have never appeared on le rankings
    It's an American thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exon)
    It's an American thing.
    This doesn't answer my question.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 10, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.